PDA

View Full Version : Chickens,whos got them?

adam c
25-01-10, 11:59 PM
Hi at the minute im looking at getting a few chickens for breeding and obviously fresh eggs in the morning.(and to be honest as a hobby aswell as now i have no nova i have all the time spare that i used to be fixing it withlol )

Anybody on here got any?what do you use them for(fresh eggs,children to play with/interact with or breeding etc?)what breed have you got?

Are they in your garden or have you a small holding/allotment?
So come on show me your chickens and chicken hutslol :d .

wwmnw
26-01-10, 12:01 AM
My boss has two, she keeps them in a hutch outside, apart from the obvious free eggs, I've never asked her much about them.

REDTOm
26-01-10, 12:07 AM
we have 6 chickens.

they WILL **** everywhere. honestly its the worst type on the planet all i will say is just dont get it on your hands the smell wont come off.

that is all.

Ben
26-01-10, 11:27 AM
Ive got 20 in my coop on farmville, they dont do much, just collect the eggs once a day.

robertdevlin69
26-01-10, 12:02 PM
same as above my mate has three molly margret and sam,weird creatures to keep in a built up area but i love stayin in his gaff after a night out simply because the eggs are delicious **** machiens tho

Stuart
26-01-10, 12:09 PM
I'd like to have a pair of lady call ducks (as the male ones would try shagging each other all the tiem, and I'm simply not down with homosexuality lol )

large_steve182
26-01-10, 03:35 PM
chickens are awesome

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r434/large_steve182/IMG_6841.jpg

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r434/large_steve182/IMG_6846-1.jpg

they were ours, made an incubator out of a shoe box and a lightbulb, bought the eggs off ebay, out of 6 eggs we got 4 chicks, one being the cockrell who even i didnt f**k with,

as chicks they are awesome, we used to just let them run around the room, they would climb all over you and peck at everything, one even thought he was a parrot and would constantly jump upto my shoulder and just stay there as a pirate chicken,

then we made a hutch outside with a run around cage, and would let them run around the whole garden, but had to look after them so they didnt run away,

one day as chicks a cat came in and went for them, but i scared it off, cat came back a month or so later when the cockrell was bigger, the cockrell went straight for the cat and the cat legged it,

be prepared for the noise though, soon as they wake up and see the slightest bit of light, coock a dooodle dooooo, its funny the first couple times, but its not fun at 6 in the morning, so we had to put a cover over the hutch so no light would get it, then we would take it off around 8ish,

eventually we donated them to a farm, they said primarily for eggs, but i would imagine they would of been in and out of someone by now.

as they get older they dont really want to play with you as much, the cockrell bit me once and i was going kill him, then eat him to teach him a lesson.

LoonTim
26-01-10, 07:38 PM
We used to have half a dozen chickens,,,as said they mess everywere, we let them roam 'free range' during the day then put them in hutch overnight. Was hilarious watching the dogs (staffys) being pecked on the head and running away shaking in fear! aha. Had to get rid eventually because you can't do anything with em if you go on holiday like you can a dog. Eggs are amazing tasty though. You do need to keep an eye out for rats and foxes depending on were you live and what your feeding them and how much.

sr jack
26-01-10, 07:42 PM
iv got 5 of the buggers. You cant beat a organic egg from you own chickens!

sr jack
26-01-10, 07:43 PM
why did the chicken cross the road lol

Lee
26-01-10, 07:58 PM
Dar has 4 chickens. They are funny as fook :)

dannyb
26-01-10, 08:57 PM
We hatched some at the primary school I work at, shame we couldn't eat the eggs!

I am considering keeping bees as they are quite productive in an urban environment.

Stuart
26-01-10, 09:08 PM
Do you need much space for the chickens? how big does a coup have to be etc

adam c
27-01-10, 06:03 PM
Do you need much space for the chickens? how big does a coup have to be etc

I found this website quite helpful with the diffrent breeds of chickens etc plus they also sell modern chicken house's and coops(they are expensive though so i think ill be getting a couple of the "traditional" houseslol ).It looks like you dont need alot of space for them.

EDIT:Forgot link:tard:
http://www.omlet.co.uk/homepage/homepage.php

mowgli
27-01-10, 06:10 PM
why do you want to buy your eggs for about £1.50 per egg ?????

cost out the coop, feed, stock, time and effort, replacing them when the jolly fox gets in.etc & thats what you get..

don't be fooled by these people who 'rescue' battery hens.. they are specially bred egg machines, and if they aren't any good at laying, then they get chucked out & rescued.. they don't chuck out good ones.

a proper fresh farmyard style egg is fantastic, but you need to feed them on all your food scraps as well as corn & shell supplements, and they WILL attract vermin.

Mike
27-01-10, 06:12 PM
Chickens scare me :(

Ducks are my friends though :)

Lynsey
27-01-10, 06:41 PM
Ducks rock :) I've never tried duck eggs though. My aunty got some 'rescuees' but they have barely any feathers :(

Stuart
27-01-10, 06:44 PM
Ducks rock :) I've never tried duck eggs though. My aunty got some 'rescuees' but they have barely any feathers :(

Duck eggs are very very rich... yummy, but one is enough at a time lol.

Hmmmmm could go back to the call duck plan, dont want them for eggs, want them to laugh at when in the garden :)

Mike
27-01-10, 06:48 PM

Duck eggs are well nice!! The yolks are massive an very yummy :)

And there very funny to watch too lol

Lynsey
27-01-10, 07:11 PM
And better looking than chickens! :)

Lynsey
27-01-10, 07:12 PM
http://www.birdtrader.co.uk/

I'd like this baby :) http://www.birdtrader.co.uk/birds/birds-of-prey-for-sale/tyne-and-wear/barn-owl-/BT104545

Mike
27-01-10, 07:12 PM
Yea they dont look as vermin esq

mowgli
27-01-10, 07:17 PM
haven't you lot seen jurassic park???? chickens are descended from velociraptors!!!!!!!

Mike
27-01-10, 07:18 PM
http://www.birdtrader.co.uk/

I'd like this baby :) http://www.birdtrader.co.uk/birds/birds-of-prey-for-sale/tyne-and-wear/barn-owl-/BT104545

Hes fcuking ace! Give him a pointy hat & he could be a KKK wannabe lol

mowgli
27-01-10, 07:23 PM
mike, you should get an owl... isn't insomnia on your list of ailments??? if not, with an owl round the house, hooting all hours of the night, it soon will be

Stuart
27-01-10, 07:39 PM
http://www.birdtrader.co.uk/birds/waterfowl-for-sale/essex/pair-of-call-ducks-male-female-pair-/BT104677

awwwwwwwwww me want!

DAMN YOU LYNZ!!!!!

Mike
27-01-10, 09:16 PM
mike, you should get an owl... isn't insomnia on your list of ailments??? if not, with an owl round the house, hooting all hours of the night, it soon will be

Unfortuntaly it is, i get tired well easy but can never get to sleep :( thank god for games consoles lol not overly keen on a house owl tho, would have to keep out side i think.

bazil
27-01-10, 09:21 PM
Hi at the minute im looking at getting a few chickens for breeding and obviously fresh eggs in the morning.(and to be honest as a hobby aswell as now i have no nova i have all the time spare that i used to be fixing it withlol )

Anybody on here got any?what do you use them for(fresh eggs,children to play with/interact with or breeding etc?)what breed have you got?

Are they in your garden or have you a small holding/allotment?
So come on show me your chickens and chicken hutslol :d .

SH*T and FEATHERS mate thats all they are, the supermarket is much easier, i had them growing up

John
27-01-10, 09:21 PM
not me.

mowgli
27-01-10, 09:51 PM
Unfortuntaly it is, i get tired well easy but can never get to sleep :( thank god for games consoles lol not overly keen on a house owl tho, would have to keep out side i think.

you'd get your post delivered direct to you wherever you are... well, harry potter does

16v Nova Kev
27-01-10, 10:17 PM
I'd like to have a pair of lady call ducks (as the male ones would try shagging each other all the tiem, and I'm simply not down with homosexuality lol )
wrote like a true homolol :p

dontliftdrift
27-01-10, 10:20 PM
wrote like a true homolol :p

+1 rep for being scottish and telling the wholehearted truthlol