PDA

View Full Version : Advise need on towing my nova

puss puss
25-01-10, 08:49 PM
Hey guys a friend of mine has very kindly let me use his boss's garage to work on the nova at week ends :)

We have a transit van to tow with my question is how should/could i tow it within the law?

1. With a tow pole metal thing (dunno name but u know what i mean)
2. With a dolly (lifts the front wheels off the floor)
3. Proper 4 wheel trailer.

The Nova isnt insured, has no Mot BUT has tax

The nova has no front lights, no front archs etc but no shape bits are poking out etc.

So what do you guys reakon is around about a 45 minute drive as well anything else u need to know just post back

thanks in advance guys :thumb:

sulphur
25-01-10, 08:51 PM
Dolly imo, just put the tailboard on and you're good to go.

bmw156
25-01-10, 08:54 PM
lol sounds about the same as you towed it from me, even tho that was about a 10 minute drive and not a 45 minute drive.

and imo full trailer, you cant go wrong :)

puss puss
25-01-10, 08:58 PM
lol it hasnt changed martin but when u get offered to work on your nova at a garage full equiped with a ****ing decent welder and a 4 post ramp you cant complain huh lol :P

Yeh only problem is finding a decent trailer but am sure i could get away with a dolly because the nova is still taxed

General Baxter
25-01-10, 09:01 PM
its number 3 only

johnny_turbo
25-01-10, 09:05 PM
you can get away with it being on a straight bar as long as the person behind the wheel as got a liecence. as long as theres no motorways

any will be fine

General Baxter
25-01-10, 09:06 PM
no read the law, any wheel touches the floor, it must have an mot, tax and insured,

you can get away with bars and dollys for RECOVERY only

bmw156
you need insurance on the towed car, because if you loose control and hit a car, whats gonna happen lol.

puss puss
oki doki then guys full trailer it is :)

johnny_turbo
25-01-10, 09:11 PM
you need insurance on the towed car, because if you loose control and hit a car, whats gonna happen lol.

i needed mine to be towed from my old house to the new house. it had no mot, tax or insurence rang the police they said i will be fine as long as the person being towed had a liecence.

General Baxter
25-01-10, 09:16 PM
did you tell them what roads you were going on, they would of shot you lol

johnny_turbo
25-01-10, 09:19 PM
nope just said i was moving house and thats the only way i could move the car. as i couldn't get hold of a trailer at the time.

Lee
25-01-10, 10:11 PM
Bear in mind if you got your driving licence after 1997, the law changed and you need a to take a trailer test if you are towing over 750kg (total weight of trailer AND car on top), which with a Nova, you will be way over.

Tony M
25-01-10, 10:20 PM
You can tow a car with a solid bar on a trade insurance regardless of mot, tax and insurance on the car being towed.