PDA

View Full Version : disadvantages of spraying

brucer
25-01-10, 08:43 PM
hi guys, in a month or so ill be having my nova sprayed. as i wont be needing wings/boot/bumpers for another few months i plan not to have those painted yet to save on money. im looking to find out what disadvantages there are to having them sprayed at differnt times?

at the mo im thinking that the colour match might not be perfect as it will be 2 different batches of paint, also that the painter may have an off day.

the advantages are that i can save some money and put that towards parts for the car and i wont have panels about that can get scratched. i could ask for another 2-3litres of paint to be mixed this time round so when it comes to have the other parts painted the colour will be perfect.

any other reasons why i shouldnt do this??

thanks for any help

bruce

Count Vaux Alot
25-01-10, 08:46 PM
If it were me i would just save and have it all done at once.

kyl3_l
25-01-10, 09:09 PM
disadvantages will depend on the colour, is it pearl, metallic or a basecoat solid?

bazil
25-01-10, 09:12 PM
if your do get them sprayed at different times try to order enough paint now so you dont have 2 different batches of paint, but as already said wait and do it all at once:thumb:

LEWI007
25-01-10, 09:28 PM
Yeah i think the colour could possible be slightly off, maybe not even enough to notice if its a good paintshop.

I would just buy enough paint so your sorted for next time.

Im spraying my whole car with 2 litres of paint..

brucer
25-01-10, 10:02 PM
i would like to have it done in one go but can see the panels getting damaged from storage. i wont be able to fit the wings until the engines in as im hiding the wiring under them, when the engine will be built i have no clue! front bumper cant go on untill the wings, tailgate and rear bumper could go i on i suppose but wouldnt want to damge them...

kyl3 l--its a metalic colour, subaru sonic blue.

lewi-- i think i over estimated the paint quantity.haha.

but think i might go with the option of ordering more paint to keep the match the same. im unsure which body shop im using yet, the people that normally do the car havnt got the same spray man that originally painted the car so undecided on them. have got a bloke from another bodyshop coming to quote me on saturday. they sprayed my first nova 4/5 years ago. was a decent job.

bazil
25-01-10, 10:08 PM
imo ive seen some cars painted better in a farm shed than by a bodyshop in a booth, i dont go by price i go by rep. oh and im an ex bodyman myself.

kyl3_l
25-01-10, 10:30 PM
being subaru blue i would order extra paint and keep it if you arnt wanting to do it all at once. a differnce mix can change the colour slightly which would be noticable in the light on adjacent panels, the lighter the colour tends to be worse. but also make sure the same painter paints the panels which need done later as the last coat can change colour, coat to light could look to sparkly as all the mettalic will sit on top and to heavy will darken the colour and be less sparkley as the metallic will sink, if that makes sence :thumb:

Benn
25-01-10, 10:59 PM
If its done right you wont have a prob.

As Kyl3l said, being that they are painting the whole car they'll only in a few lts of paint so there will be loads there to use to paint the other bits.

If they are painting the car you wont want the doors on as you'll be painting in to all the shuts. So the doors would prob be painting at a different time. Unless the paint booth is huge.