PDA

View Full Version : i darent get one

m1c
25-01-10, 07:29 PM
ive liked em for years, had minis for years and one of my cousins had a 1.2 nova. wasnt anything special but i always like it. anyway, my days of tinkering with cars are over, kids have come along etc and money doesnt seem to last as long as it used to lol i worry if i get a nova im gonna wanna spend loads of time an money on it, and i dont have a lot of either spare. am i askin for trouble by getting a little cheapy, probably standard or will i enjoy a standard one?! i dont mind doing cosmetics like fitting bucket seats etc i just dont wanna be spending every weekend under the bonnet!

jakeufton
25-01-10, 07:32 PM
nahh youll be sound get youself a nova but dont put bucket seat in it.... save your money for the local garage lol.... only joking ive had my 1.2 nova for just over a year and its only let me down about 14,000 times, pretty nippy tho

burgo
25-01-10, 07:34 PM
standard ones are the best. you shouldnt have any trouble with standard ones providing you avoid 1L

jakeufton
25-01-10, 07:36 PM
what wrong with the 1ls? my made had one and it was bullet proof

burgo
25-01-10, 07:39 PM
they seem to like throwing the rods through the blocks

MattBrown
25-01-10, 07:39 PM
what wrong with the 1ls? my made had one and it was bullet proof

Im on my 4th engine, 2nd set of shafts, and it breaks all the time lol

draper
25-01-10, 07:40 PM
get a SR or GTE/GSi and have some fun

rdanny
25-01-10, 07:48 PM
never known a standard nova not to run really but that was years ago and the usual problem is the rot,

as burgo said 1.2 and up and you wont really have any problems providing its standard,

the 1.6's and sr's are great fun but seem to be thrashed hence the problem getting a half decent one

therefore maybe the reason the 1.0's die as like the 1.2 there very slow and need a bit of kick sometimes, but again i'd be shocked it you couldnt get it chugging about, rot is your enemy when you need to re-mot it,

if you get a really old one the first thing you may want to do if you use motorways allot is to ether get a 5 speed gearbox or make sure it has one

other that that there not really a money pit unless you choose to make it one for example if you want a full on restoration, and modding can become addictive once you start

Lee
25-01-10, 07:49 PM
Novas are uber reliable. its when you start fiddling, thats when the problems start :)

Rysee
25-01-10, 07:51 PM
Im on my 4th engine, 2nd set of shafts, and it breaks all the time lol

What the hell are you doing to them? Mine so far is handling my abuse

Rdanny - My 1ltr was really unreliable at first but I've spent a bit of time and money with it and it's ok now but yeah do avoid, my old 1.2 felt like a rocket ship getting back in it after driving my 1ltr :(

m1c
25-01-10, 07:58 PM
to be fair it only gonna be my 'toy' so cant justify spending a lot on it so a 1.2 would probably be more practicle :) just lower it, stick some nice alloys on it and play with the interior.

burgo
25-01-10, 08:00 PM
to be fair it only gonna be my 'toy' so cant justify spending a lot on it so a 1.2 would probably be more practical :) just lower it, stick some nice alloys on it and play with the interior.i assume play with mean rip all of it out

rdanny
25-01-10, 08:07 PM
never drove a 1.0 can imagine they would be very good if owned by the right person but assume a average drive would thrash the nuts off it,

same reson iv never seen a mint 1.6 for sale as the drivers can very "enthusiastic" but ignore the little things for too long
as when i went back to a 1.2 i thought i was dead it was so slow, but i'd still buy another if the rest of the car was holding up well.

there getting rare and as 1 of the firsts cars iv owned i love there little charm and the easy repare and so many ways you can make one your own

m1c
25-01-10, 08:09 PM
i assume play with mean rip all of it out

na im gonna need rear seats for the kids, just mean not leave standard

Plug
25-01-10, 08:11 PM
buy a sri if you can find one :)

or a mk1 sr y,a,b,c,d reg but good luck finding one

Rysee
25-01-10, 08:13 PM
Or a more door for the kids lol

craig green
25-01-10, 08:14 PM
Simple cars that shouldnt need lots of attention really. They are actually appreciated in std form aswell as modified, so it's not like you need to fit bucket seats anyway.

take a look in projects section at the std resto projects.

Plug
25-01-10, 08:15 PM
standard is the new modified lol

Dave.
25-01-10, 08:15 PM
they seem to like throwing the rods through the blocks

Hence why i hope to blow mine up shortly after passing my test, so i have an excuse to fit something BIGARRR! lol

vaughanmc
25-01-10, 08:17 PM
Novas are uber reliable. its when you start fiddling, thats when the problems start :)

Yep I know - Can't complain about my 1.2i engine but it's the suspension and change of wheels etc

If I'd kept it original it would go spot on but the wider wheels and lowered suspension play havoc with the car lol

Good fun though

rdanny
25-01-10, 08:39 PM
my advise dont be scared go view a few look underneath to see if it looks tidy and put the kids inside and see what they cant pull to bits you'll know then if its any good lol

burgo
25-01-10, 08:42 PM
na im gonna need rear seats for the kids, just mean not leave standardi assumed it was just going to be a weekend toy for you ?

m1c
25-01-10, 08:48 PM
no just a runaround for work etc. wife has the family car daily driver