PDA

View Full Version : V6 No Spark

DAN-F
25-01-10, 12:44 PM
Just fittted a v6 and i cant get a spark, it will turn over but i cant get nothing from the fuel relay, or no spark, there are two wires unplugged but i dont think they make much difference theyre the lambda plug and theres a blue wire cooming from the back of the block near to the bottom pulley,
ive tried two different ecu's

anyone have any ideas?

General Baxter
25-01-10, 12:52 PM
earth lead attacked to gearbox ?

which v6 is it, as some need a transponder and chip key

DAN-F
25-01-10, 12:55 PM
out of a cav v6 auto l plate, dont think it was immobilsed it has a pn ecu,
the earth is on the box iot turns over just no spark

General Baxter
25-01-10, 12:56 PM
is it in a nova ?

DAN-F
25-01-10, 12:58 PM
mk3 astra van

General Baxter
25-01-10, 12:59 PM
****, i was going to say scrap it and sell me the manifolds and mount lol

DAN-F
25-01-10, 01:03 PM
lol i have man and mounts from my nova which im considering scrapping, if i can get this up and running then the nova is going

anyone got any ideas

General Baxter
25-01-10, 01:05 PM
tbh, it sounds like the entire loom is dead,

id rip it all out and start again :)

you used the orginal plugs in the astra, the big blue or black one i think it is?

you just plugged it stright in?

i think it will need a hard wire jobbie

DAN-F
25-01-10, 01:11 PM
Na the astra wiring is butchered from someone putting a redtop in before i had it so i just wired up what i had to ign live is on a switched wire straight to the battery lol

i know the loom is good the engine ran fine in the cav donor car i removed it from

Jack
25-01-10, 04:01 PM
I'd check crank sensor and/or cam sensor... I'm sure I remember Lee asking Dave Marshall about this when we had trouble on my V6 (which in the end turned out the be the immobiliser), pretty sure if those were dead it would stop the spark and fuel.

DAN-F
25-01-10, 05:52 PM
i've just swapped the crank sensor over for a diff one and a different fuel relay still nothing, next on my list is gonna be swapping the coilpack to see if that makes a difference,
is the cam sensor the one on top in between the heads next to cam cover?

does anyone know what wires exactly i need just to get a spark bare minimum, im sure ive got them all its just im getting paranoid now ive missed something

DAN-F
25-01-10, 07:24 PM
does anyone know what wires exactly i need just to get a spark bare minimum, im sure ive got them all its just im getting paranoid now ive missed something

Adam
25-01-10, 07:31 PM
So you get fuel?
Does the ecu light come on with ign?

Lee
25-01-10, 07:55 PM
Right, the coilpack is fed from teh SWITCHED live, but requires a constant live to run the ecu, so you need up the red wire on the engine loom as well as the switched, or you will get bog all out of it.

Switched live will be a thick black wire and make sure you wire it to the PRIMARY switched on the nova (there are two switched live circuits, one will go dead on crank, and normally powers the stereo / heated rear screen.). You could just attach it to +ve to check you have the correct one. Youy should hear a relay throw when you connect it up. Make sure you have connected the correct one, there are a few dummy blacks on there which caught me out.

Bear in mind a lack of chip key and pickup WILL stop it sparking, but you should get fuel. Check there isnt a small 6 pin connecton near the top of the loom.

EDIT: re read your post and realised you are doing as above. Just ensure you have the constant live connected as well.

DAN-F
25-01-10, 08:02 PM
I Have The Red Live To The Battery And The Black Ign Live But Still Nothing, I Dont Think Its Immobilised Cos It Has A Pn Coded Ecu,
What Is The Small 6 Pin Connector For? Where On The Loom Is It?

Lee
25-01-10, 08:06 PM
The small connector attaches to the chip pickup. its a black box with a ring on the end of it which would have slotted over the ignition barrel. The plug is smaller than your usual loom plug, bit like what you would get on a circuit board. IIRC it has 6 wires, a couple are blue/red. Im going by memory though, its been a while lol

If you still have the doner, check the ingition barrel for the pickup.

DAN-F
25-01-10, 08:44 PM
donor gone but def didnt have the transponder thing on ign barrel tho

DAN-F
25-01-10, 08:45 PM
cou;d an iffy earth cause no spark?

Lee
25-01-10, 10:14 PM
Sure could.

DAN-F
26-01-10, 01:55 PM
have to check all the wiring again today, do you know where on the loom the diaggnostic plug is?

does anyone know where the green and purple plugs that the end of the loom plugs into are in an 1.7 diesel astravan are, or if it has them at all cos i cant find them