PDA

View Full Version : custom dial install

adam2472
02-04-03, 06:13 PM
ive finnaly made me custom dials the right size (cheers ade for sendin templates),, :D ne body got ne suggestions on how to get the pins off the gauges.. i had a lookie earlier and there on there preety tight, i dunt wana bugger the gauges trying to get em off...???

ad

?Marty?
02-04-03, 11:30 PM
Just pull them off.

Nova-Boy
03-04-03, 02:59 PM
I read that you should do it with two spoons so not to break them. There is a guide on a site called novamad i think

stugsi
03-04-03, 08:09 PM
i used a fork to do mine just try and make sure when you put them back on there in the right place as my petrol and temp were miles out and had to strip the dash again :evil: not a nice job when you think it looks good

ade
04-04-03, 12:36 PM
make sure you follow guide (see novamad.net or nova-land.com) otherwise you will lose speedo accuracy and temp/fuel gauge.

2 tea spoons on their backs (curved side down) with the ends under the dial centre then just level down - it will ping off.

You however need to mark the position of the needle after its been prised over the pin (so you know roughly where to line it up afterwards)

You must make sure the casing holding the guages if vertical so needles can rest naturally. They will be slightly out when refitted though but not massively (although my fuel gauge now reads to just toip of red line when its empty).

PM me if you need advice

Ade
:wink:

cr2ig
23-04-03, 10:55 PM
what u make the dials out of? thin plastic? where u get the templates from? u fitted em yet if so wot thy look like? soz for all questions but a wo bored at time n it seems a good idea to be honest! :lol:

adam2472
23-04-03, 11:57 PM
got the template of ade.. made a few changes and just printed em.. i used photo paper but i think if i did it again i wud try n use some kinda plastic

thinking of giving it ago.??

cr2ig
24-04-03, 03:13 PM
YEAH a wunt mind avin a blast if a got a spare day? u got ne pics of finished product thn?

Jules
24-04-03, 03:17 PM
You can easily make clear dials, take your dial faces off, take 'em to a photocopying shop, ask them to do a negative image (What's black will be white and visa-versa) on to clear acetate, or maybe you could get some sticky back vinyl in a colour of your choice and ask 'em to load that in to the photocopier.

I did it ages ago with clear dials but I put the needles back on wrong and couldn't be arsed to take it all apart and start again, so I gave up and stuck some SRi dials in instead!!!

cr2ig
26-04-03, 09:51 AM
Dunt wana sound thik but how you mean put needles on wrong?

Jules
26-04-03, 06:54 PM
Pointing in the wrong direction.

adam2472
26-04-03, 08:03 PM
i messed up the needles big time puttin them back on.. didnt make notes of the offsets.. speedo was 10mph out,, fuel wasnt rite neither.. just takes ages to get them back to "about" rite.. lol.. just make sure u make a note of the offsets..

ade
27-04-03, 02:04 AM
lockwood dial kits you dont need to remove the needles. There centre holes are BIG - they just use blanking bits.

My new design dials will be like this. Saves so much hastle