PDA

View Full Version : Changing ignition barrel

Stickybunn
24-01-10, 06:50 PM
Looking for some help.
Have lost the keys to the project Nova, how easy is it to change the ignition barrel?? Have seen a new one on ebay so can order one but need to see how difficult it is to change???
Cheers Steve

nova-taken
24-01-10, 07:07 PM
just remove the steering wheel cowlings, and you'll see the shear off bolt that secures the barrel onto the column.

i always use a good pointy wood chisel and a hammer to loosen it, the tap it out using the same method, but surely theres an easier way

mowgli
24-01-10, 07:14 PM
was it original? is the original boot lock still on the car?? if so, then have a look at the inside of the boot lock. there should be a label with a number on it. if so, then give the number to the gm dealer or a decent key cutter.

burgo
24-01-10, 07:48 PM
just remove the steering wheel cowlings, and you'll see the shear off bolt that secures the barrel onto the column.

i always use a good pointy wood chisel and a hammer to loosen it, the tap it out using the same method, but surely theres an easier waythats how you change the steering column.

to be fair though if you havnt got the key removing the barrel is a proper mission so might be easier to get a new column anyway

Stickybunn
24-01-10, 07:53 PM
No sure if it is the same lock on the boot etc, from what i have read it says you need the key to remove the barrel, sounds like its going to be tricky!!!

mowgli
24-01-10, 07:54 PM
it won't be tricky, with a bit of chisel & grind, anything is possible....

getting a whole colunm assy from a breaker is the best option

GRUNT 16V
25-01-10, 03:06 PM
What The Fook Are You Lot On About ?????????????

Drill The Fooker Out Start Off Small Then Get Bigger Then Get Jiggy With It Hey Prestow It Pops Out

MattBrown
25-01-10, 03:07 PM

Drill The Fooker Out Start Off Small Then Get Bigger Then Get Jiggy With It Hey Prestow It Pops Out

+1, for saying it how it islol

mowgli
25-01-10, 03:25 PM

and by the time you've got the second or third drill bit on the chuck, our method will have been finished & tea poured.

burgo
25-01-10, 05:54 PM
plus the drilling out method isnt guaranteed and the potential to fook it and need to swap the column anyway is quite high

GRUNT 16V
26-01-10, 10:40 AM
Does Any One Know How To Remove It Properly Then Or What !!!!!!!??????

kent14sr
26-01-10, 11:03 AM
I would suggest the easiest way is to remove the sheer bolt that holds the barrel and lock to the column. A sharp chisel and a hammer is my preferred option. With that removed just lift up the hinged bracket and tap the lock off the column.

Then get a replacement lock mech for the new barrel to go into (a breakers, on here or even ebay) - I would not fancy drilling out the ignition lock personally.

I have a replacement outer column without the ignition lock on if you need it.

ant_tay
26-01-10, 04:37 PM
Does Any One Know How To Remove It Properly Then Or What !!!!!!!??????

the correct way is to take of the covers insert the key into the barrel turn to position 2 and use a small enough allen key in the hole either on the underside or on the side cant remember and it pulls out.

so i would hammer in a flat head screwdriver and use the above method couple on mins max job done

kent14sr
26-01-10, 05:12 PM
the correct way is to take of the covers insert the key into the barrel turn to position 2 and use a small enough allen key in the hole either on the underside or on the side cant remember and it pulls out.

so i would hammer in a flat head screwdriver and use the above method couple on mins max job done

That would likely be difficult as the screwdriver would not turn the barrel easily and release it - but if he had the key it would be a 2 second job!

djbrowney
26-01-10, 05:14 PM
i removed mine with a drill bit last light pieces of piss lol

ashtonem
05-05-10, 04:46 PM
im in the middle of taking mine out atm ive smashed all the way through to the bottom with a hammer and screwdriver just cant seem to get the last bit out, any ideas anybody?

Shaun
05-05-10, 05:04 PM
patience, lots of it.

the drill bits should go through then it should literally pop out