PDA

View Full Version : polish/ restorer

jakeufton
24-01-10, 01:09 PM
as per title i have recently bought a red nova well pinkish in places lol . any way i took it my mates bodyshop and there going to weld me some new rear arches and spray up to the pinstripe... so what the best stuff to get that shiny red back on the bonnet roof and boot? (the bodyman said g3 compound because it doesnt have sillicone in...)

Mike
24-01-10, 01:12 PM
Yep, G3 is a good call tbh.

dontliftdrift
24-01-10, 01:24 PM
as per title i have recently bought a red nova well pinkish in places lol . any way i took it my mates bodyshop and there going to weld me some new rear arches and spray up to the pinstripe... so what the best stuff to get that shiny red back on the bonnet roof and boot? (the bodyman said g3 compound because it doesnt have sillicone in...)

if this was me repairing it.....i would be starting with a sonus sfx-1 pad + menzerna power gloss polish on my rotary! machine polishing take's the paint back to its previous condition...but what you have to remember is if the car was resprayed at some point,how thick is the paint?a PTG - paint depth gauge is required,as attacking this with no experience off restoring could result in flashing through the paint and finding primer....NOT GOOD! g3 is ok but not top of my list! if your going to do it by hand your going to be there forever.

look for a local DETAILING COMPANY they will be able to sort this for you not a problem,what you also need to remember if your going to fix this yourself and by hand,you need to apply a wax to protect the paint from oxidising(if it has no protection it will oxidise within 2weeks)

machine polishing is far more superior than doing by hand and i can assure you the results will impress:)

heres a couple of pictures of a corsa b i brought back to life :)

OXIDISED:
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105/MREVO7/b1.jpg
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105/MREVO7/b2.jpg

AFTER:
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105/MREVO7/b5.jpg
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105/MREVO7/b6.jpg
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105/MREVO7/b7.jpg

dontliftdrift
24-01-10, 01:34 PM
tell me what area your from i will recommend you a reputable detailer capable of doing the job :)

Andy
24-01-10, 02:27 PM
How much would summat like that cost to get done mate?

dontliftdrift
24-01-10, 02:33 PM
How much would summat like that cost to get done mate?

depends on size of car..and if its had a dodgy respray(thin paint)also jap+german paints are harder to cut so would take longer,vauxhall paint is respectably soft(not in the sense it come's of with the polisher)just not as hard as jap paint...if i was quoting the nova probably £100 as its only above the pin stripe,that would involve pre foam wash/clay to remove bonded contaminants/wash/dry/paint inspection with PTG/machine polish/sealed with 2coats of wax

would probably throw in an interior clean for nothing,but companies do vary with prices!

Andy
24-01-10, 02:36 PM
Thats good is that,How on earth can you tell how thick the paint is?!

Benn
24-01-10, 02:39 PM
G3, the a good wax and sealant after will bring the colour back then seal the paint.

Megiuar's NXT is a wax sealant so very good for any g3'ing.

All can be done by hand but will knacker you out, using a mop/buffer/ polisher call it what ever, will speed the job up and make it look much better.

See if your bodywork man will let you borrow his mop, then just by a head for it.

dontliftdrift
24-01-10, 02:40 PM
Thats good is that,How on earth can you tell how thick the paint is?!

PTG = paint thickness gauge mate,its measured in microns,anything below 70micron's is not really ideal for machine polishing!

ive saved a few people respray's you would be suprised!

jakeufton
24-01-10, 03:02 PM
well its definatly being sprayed from the pin stripe up i live in uttoxeter in the stoke on trent area, and like said all i need to do is bonnet, roof and boot, the rest of the exterior is being sprayed in about 2 weeks, i dont minde if it takes all day but ide like to do it myself tbh, the bodyman did say spend around 2hours on each section but not alot else, can you please give me a quick step by step quide on what to do and what to get, much appreciated and rep given. heres a pic of my car at present,, it does look oxidised like longdrift said

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af274/jakeufton/DSC03073.jpg

dontliftdrift
24-01-10, 03:11 PM
you have a pm :)

clemo
24-01-10, 05:10 PM
G3 is the best i had a red mk2 last year and i borrowed some g3 off a body shop mate and did it by hand it does take ages to do and gives you arm ache but is well worth it. however like the other lad said remember to use a wax to seal the paint after or youll be polishing it every week i tried all sorts of polishes and waxes to keep it shiney but the one i found really works is autoglym high definition wax but it is expensive but youll never use anything else once youve used it. :-) my mate had the car after me and he never polished it but it still stayed pretty good.

dontliftdrift
24-01-10, 05:16 PM
G3 is the best i had a red mk2 last year and i borrowed some g3 off a body shop mate and did it by hand it does take ages to do and gives you arm ache but is well worth it. however like the other lad said remember to use a wax to seal the paint after or youll be polishing it every week i tried all sorts of polishes and waxes to keep it shiney but the one i found really works is autoglym high definition wax but it is expensive but youll never use anything else once youve used it. :-) my mate had the car after me and he never polished it but it still stayed pretty good.

it needs cut back,refined,and then wax'd;)

Andy
24-01-10, 05:30 PM
There needs to be a guide section on this sort of thing,ie what works best on each paint type.
I would love to know how to do it properly,i have a 2002 Black Astra SRi and usually just wash then super resin polish it.Comes up nice but ive heard it would be better to clay bar it then something,summat else,seal and wax??.What products in what order would be good without taking out a bank loan to pay for them? lol

dontliftdrift
24-01-10, 05:37 PM
There needs to be a guide section on this sort of thing,ie what works best on each paint type.
I would love to know how to do it properly,i have a 2002 Black Astra SRi and usually just wash then super resin polish it.Comes up nice but ive heard it would be better to clay bar it then something,summat else,seal and wax??.What products in what order would be good without taking out a bank loan to pay for them? lol

i have requested a detailing section but nothing yet! nice car buddy!

super resin polish is good as it has fillers in it so it masks up some of the swirls caused by a poor wash method but not all of them!

claybar - removes bonded contaminants e.g tree sap,industrial fall out,which is difficult to remove while washing! it does make a very big difference,only needs done once every 6months,i do not advise it to remove tar! as it will causing 'marring' a term for a cloudy-ish type finish on the topcoat using a yet again poor method!

wash/clay/wash/dry/super resin/you can choose a glaze or a sealent for you id choose poorboys blackhole what a big difference you will see in the astra at this point,once you have glazed finish of with a wax (collinite 476)
the light swirls will not be removed but the car will be decontaminated + very shiney + protected

i do also have to point out,a good practice/method need's to be used to get full effect from this i.e USE A APPLICATOR PAD FOR POLISH A SEPARATE 1 FOR WAX ETC ETC

adam if you need more advice pm me :) or beg the mods to add a detailing section lol

edit: buying loads of cloth's are also a must!

EDIT AGAIN: IF THERE WAS A DETAILING SECTION THIS COULD ALL BE EXPLAINED RATHER THAN ME HAVING TO TYPE IT OVER AND OVER

i rest my caselol

Andy
24-01-10, 05:41 PM
cheers mate thats excellent advice.rep added.
I have a close friend on the "inside" so will hound him to try sort it for us lol

dontliftdrift
24-01-10, 05:44 PM
cheers mate thats excellent advice.rep added.
I have a close friend on the "inside" so will hound him to try sort it for us lol

i didnt even get the chance to explain difference between a glaze and a sealent,not that there is much more difference,if we had a detailing section it would be easier,if your unsure on how to use any products listed or any method's i.e claying) dont hesitate to ask...id rather you got it rite first time than inflict marring on the paint and double your work:(