PDA

View Full Version : apex springs for my coupe..

napalm_27
23-01-10, 11:27 PM
iv got my apex springs for my coupe and there spose to be 30-40mm lower put the rears on and they have'nt made a difference in ride height
looking at the front springs today and they are really slim compared to the standards and rather much longer aswell havnt got the old ones off yet as havnt got any spring clamps http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/images/smilies/frown.gif

(below is ment for astra coupe owners as same post is on aoc)

has anyone got any apex springs or a pic of theres so i can make sure these are right as they came in the right box as i check the part number on the box

Fester
24-01-10, 01:05 AM
I put some Apex stuff on a Golf GTI once. Utterly horrible in every way and, yes, rock all difference in ride-height. Put coilies on in the end and wrote off the money spent on the Apex hardware.

burgo
24-01-10, 01:06 AM
how can you compare the lengths if you havnt removed the old ones yet lol

wwmnw
24-01-10, 01:16 AM
Here we go again people lol

napalm_27
24-01-10, 01:20 AM
how can you compare the lengths if you havnt removed the old ones yet lol

i had the front strut off and sat them side by side and the apex spring was like 2-3 inches bigger then the spring on the shock
yes i know they are slightly compressed still but not 2-3 inches :confused:

burgo
24-01-10, 01:26 AM
you would be suprised how much they can be compressed by. if you hadnt already removed them you could of used the cars weight to decompress them

napalm_27
24-01-10, 01:32 AM
you would be suprised how much they can be compressed by. if you hadnt already removed them you could of used the cars weight to decompress them
there back on the car only takes 10 mins to take them off and put them back on
i was thinking of getting a ratchet strap round the spring to compress it so i could take it off.. even tho some may not agree

burgo
24-01-10, 01:43 AM
no you tit. bolt it all back in the car and lower the car to the floor. then undo the shock shaft. now as you jack the car up the spring decompresses.

napalm_27
24-01-10, 01:49 AM
yer but the shock shaft turns everytime iv tried that before
but il give it ago tomorrow and see what happens then report back once iv failed to fit the new springs as there most likely wrong

burgo
24-01-10, 01:58 AM
you need a crook neck spanner for the nut and then either a spanner or socket to fit the top of the shaft

Walshie_Loon
24-01-10, 02:01 AM
imo apex are sh*t, I have them on my loon the ride height is ok but the ride is very hard.

napalm_27
24-01-10, 02:07 AM
you need a crook neck spanner for the nut and then either a spanner or socket to fit the top of the shaft

got it all mate thats how iv had them off already just didnt think to leave them on and do it like you said :tard:
il give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes
il get a pic of the springs aswell to show the difference in size :thumb:

Keif
24-01-10, 07:51 AM
It's comman for springs on Astra's to be like this.
Search on AOC for the amount of threads that are "i've fitted lowering springs but they've not made any difference". They take a while to settle in, and after a couple of weeks driving it'll be lower.
As for the fronts, you'll be surprised how much the spring is compressed in the front upright.

Edd
24-01-10, 09:15 AM
I had Apex springs on my Mk4 Astra Gsi when i got it.

Awful ride, rubbish quality. DO NOT put them on.

Probably be ok for you tho as your coupe don't move lol

Nobby
24-01-10, 09:40 AM
yup my bros got them on his nova imo no springs would feel smoother!

napalm_27
24-01-10, 11:09 AM
think is i really need to now whether the springs are correct or not thats what im getting at!

dannyb
24-01-10, 11:13 AM
think is i really need to now whether the springs are correct or not thats what im getting at!

If you could string a sentence together I might be able to understand you. Fit your springs if it's so easy, drive the fecker, don't bother telling us how you got on.

napalm_27
24-01-10, 11:18 AM
If you could string a sentence together I might be able to understand you. Fit your springs if it's so easy, drive the fecker, don't bother telling us how you got on.

how about stfu unless your going to be helpful

dannyb
24-01-10, 11:39 AM
how about stfu unless your going to be helpful

Calm down shinypants.
I am being helpful by motivating you just to get them on. Just fit them, let them settle then everything will be ok. Am I right in thinking you're on a driving ban at the moment?

Keif
24-01-10, 04:39 PM

The only things to check when you order a set of springs are that they are the correct fit, which as you ordeded them they will be, and they're the correct weight spec to your car.
Their should be a car weight range on the box that the springs are for.
If you look at the plate inside the drivers door shut it'll give you the front and rear axle weight of your Coupe.
They should cross reference.

napalm_27
24-01-10, 06:49 PM
well fitted one of the front springs the springs are exactly the same length off the car side by side
put it all on and back together with the apex spring on and my car looks like its been jacked up not lowered :mad: really getting p!ssed off with this now two mins and il get a pic of the springs side by side..

but the corsa is stripped out now and looking good so im in a better mood because of it :)

Adam
24-01-10, 06:54 PM
You cant judge how low it'll be by open spring lengths.
Different wind rates/poundage rates means two identical length springs will give different compressed heights

napalm_27
24-01-10, 06:59 PM
think i may just cut the fooking things in half and been done with it

Adam
24-01-10, 07:02 PM
All this pissing about, you might as well have just done what i suggested and bought some £150 Raceland coilovers! ;)

napalm_27
24-01-10, 07:04 PM
All this pissing about, you might as well have just done what i suggested and bought some £150 Raceland coilovers! ;)

would have been good to have £150 right now id throw the springs back at the **** that sent them and get my money back then go get some terribly made coilovers that actually fit and do the right job!! :(:mad:

Keif
24-01-10, 09:37 PM
Their should be a car weight range on the box that the springs are for.
If you look at the plate inside the drivers door shut it'll give you the front and rear axle weight of your Coupe.
They should cross reference.

Have you checked this?

If so, what are the ratings for both?

Jack
24-01-10, 09:44 PM
You cant judge how low it'll be by open spring lengths.
Different wind rates/poundage rates means two identical length springs will give different compressed heights
^ yep. The car will need to settle too, every time I jack either of my cars up it looks like its on stilts when it comes back down.

Keif
24-01-10, 09:48 PM
Jack, i told him that on the last page.

I've only lowered 3 Astras, so i obviously don't know what i'm on about.

napalm_27
24-01-10, 09:48 PM
well i think im going to put the drivers side spring on tomorrow and then give it a few laps of the green outside my house see what happens

MK999
24-01-10, 09:49 PM

That means you've probably owned less spring sets than he has.

napalm_27
24-01-10, 09:50 PM

wasnt saying you dont know what your on about or implying that atall its just they look extremely different to the standard ones and they have made the car higher but il give them a chance and if all else fails il just go buy coilovers like adam said and be done with it :thumb:

Keif
24-01-10, 09:53 PM
and the weight rating for your springs and the axle weights of your Coupe?

napalm_27
24-01-10, 09:54 PM
the weight rating from apex was 850kgs i think :confused:

Keif
24-01-10, 09:59 PM
Should be a range.

Either

up to 1015kg Front, up to 780kg Rear
or
from 1020kg to 1040kg Front, up to 780kg rear

John
24-01-10, 10:04 PM
What no title editing? lol

napalm_27
24-01-10, 10:05 PM
it only had on the box 850 kgs :confused:
the box is in the corsa on the drive can always go check again and get part numbers etc

Keif
24-01-10, 10:11 PM
Yes, can you do that.
Also post the axle weights.
By the way, those figures in my last post are the Bilstein weight for their coupe springs.

napalm_27
24-01-10, 10:15 PM
orite kl
you want the coupe's axle weights.?
its olny on the end of the drive would get a pic of how extremly high it is sitting on the front end but i dont want you lot to make fun of me again :(

napalm_27
24-01-10, 10:26 PM
right got some pics il upload them in a second

napalm_27
24-01-10, 11:02 PM
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr142/napalm_27/24012010291.jpg
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr142/napalm_27/24012010294.jpg

Keif
25-01-10, 12:15 PM
The info i need.

O.K. they're the wrong springs for a Coupe.

60-11500 are for a Astra Mk4 saloon & hatchback 1.4 -1.6 on a -35mm drop.

The correct ones you need are 60-11510 which are a -40mm spring for all Coupes

The Apex catalogue is HERE (http://www.apexsuspension.com/gb/index.php?style=springs&page=springs_catalogue)

Take them off the car and send them back.

Who did you buy them off?

L14MNP
25-01-10, 12:23 PM
lol what a sh!t post. Are you banned then?
I notice you said you were gonna take it for a spin.

I think your lowering blocks are above your leaf springs - that's your problem. lol

I missed the first post involving springs :( I hear it was a good 'un. lol

napalm_27
25-01-10, 03:00 PM
just going to take the ones that iv fitted off and sell them on.. may get a few extra quid in my pocket to get some proper ones that arnt sh!te!!

Jack
25-01-10, 03:49 PM
What no title editing? lol
I'm giving the guy a break for once. Not saying anyone else won't edit it mind lol