PDA

View Full Version : XE Breathing

chimp007_uk
23-01-10, 10:13 PM
Evening,

Is anyone running non standard Oil Breather set-ups?

My car is breather heavily due to worn rings, it's not buring oil, just breathing heavily and building up crankcase pressure causing the sump gasket to leak.

I'm looking to free up some pressure, by venting the crankcase breather. I currently have the 2 rocker breathers venting to atmosphere. IS it a simple case of plumbing the feed from the block to a catch tank and the plugging the rocker or running that to the catch tank as well?

Ideas and pics appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris :thumb:

Will F
23-01-10, 10:36 PM
Dude - you need to get it fixed, rather than bodging it...:roll:

How long has it been like it? It wont last too much longer if you carry on using it tbh....

on track cars etc, you have the main breather to catch tank and the smaller one going to atmosphere - in your case - the tank will fill up within a few journeys and you will keep having to empty the tank!:(

Will F
23-01-10, 10:38 PM
PS - how do you know its breathing badly? The first thing you would notice is oil in the bay and the dip stick popping out a lot... Not a leaky sump, thats normal for an XE!lol

chimp007_uk
23-01-10, 10:43 PM
Dude - you need to get it fixed, rather than bodging it...:roll:

How long has it been like it? It wont last too much longer if you carry on using it tbh....

on track cars etc, you have the main breather to catch tank and the smaller one going to atmosphere - in your case - the tank will fill up within a few journeys and you will keep having to empty the tank!:(

Currently, I'm not lossing any oil, oil level hasn't dropped. It's not a case of bodging it, I was doing som research on breather systems. It was run to a bottle originally and there was a small amount of residual oil. I've noticed that alot of XE's have the crankcase feed machined off on the rocker and a separate breather run.

http://www.grahamgoode.com/breath.htm#diag

It will need new rings granted it's a 20year old engine, however compression is the same on all for cylinders and good and it's not using oil. I had lined up a rebuild engine this week but someone sold it after i'd arranged to collect it.

chimp007_uk
23-01-10, 10:44 PM
PS - how do you know its breathing badly? The first thing you would notice is oil in the bay and the dip stick popping out a lot... Not a leaky sump, thats normal for an XE!lol

Well yeah... I know where you're coming from, however if I can reduce crank pressure, it's less likely to blow sump gaskets, simple logic.

Will F
23-01-10, 10:52 PM
Not really simple logic - you are assuming that its breathing then???

If its breathing heavily, you will see blue smoke from the breathers under load and when the dip stick is removed...

It wont affect the sump at all - as the dip stick will pay first! lol

Some residual oil etc is normal when its been driven hard and all engines will breathe with 100k+ miles on to an extent...

Seems to me that you are making unnecessary assumptions?

chimp007_uk
23-01-10, 11:01 PM
ok Will. I see your point.

Maybe I am pulling at straws, just trying to look different options, to help a high mileage engine.

Why do XE sumps always blow?

Will F
23-01-10, 11:06 PM
They dont blow - they are just poop! ;)

Are you using a cork or rubber one? If its a cork one - then there's your problem.

Get an 8v rubber one from Chris Ast. or Autovaux.....

General Baxter
23-01-10, 11:41 PM
drill some holes in the block, that will help it breath lol

chimp007_uk
23-01-10, 11:51 PM
drill some holes in the block, that will help it breath lol

Why didn't I think of that?! Maybe one for the Baxter Project #931 lol

chimp007_uk
23-01-10, 11:52 PM
They dont blow - they are just poop! ;)

Are you using a cork or rubber one? If its a cork one - then there's your problem.

Get an 8v rubber one from Chris Ast. or Autovaux.....

I am indeed using the cork ones :| Are you refering to the rubber ones bonded to the baffle?

Will F
24-01-10, 10:17 AM
Yep - an absolute must matey - get one asap.

Just remember that you will need shorter sump bolts - or just use a few more washers, as they are shallower than the cork abominations.