PDA

View Full Version : Nuts and bolts

Iain
22-01-10, 07:58 PM
I want to replace all nuts and bolts on my car during the build. Looking at various places and there's lots of choices, what type do I need? Galvanised? Stainless steel? BZP? A2? :confused: Which ones won't rust etc?

Will sort out correct tensile bolts for suspesion etc, just thinking about all the non stressed ones. Sounds like a silly question but one I'd rather ask now than after I've done it. :)

Mike
22-01-10, 08:09 PM
Alumimnium allen fasteners for all non structural fixing requirements ;) look the dogs. Cost about as much as Shergar's ransom tho :(

John
22-01-10, 08:09 PM
Why not re-zinc plate your oe ones?

Keif
22-01-10, 08:12 PM
Stainless ones won't rust, but they're not as strong as normal steel high tensile bolts.

Where in the East Midlands are you based, i know of a few suppliers that will be able to sort you out.

Why not re-zinc plate your oe ones?

Cost, new ones are not dear. Zinc plating is, in comparison.

George g
22-01-10, 10:59 PM
I would go for Bzp as you get a little more security with them less likely to rust so soon.

Your best bet is to find a fixing supplier. Don't what ever you do go to halfords or focus and buy them, you will pay well over the odds for them!

Iain
23-01-10, 11:36 AM
BZP = "bright zinc plated" according to Wikipedia?

Keif I'm in Notts, anywhere local I can pick up a huge box of assorted ones or similar would be useful.

Adam
23-01-10, 11:42 AM
Stainless is quite brittle

Keif
23-01-10, 12:01 PM
There's a supplier in Beeston that can sort you.

http://www.midfix.co.uk/

I've used them, you can just walk in and get what you want.

I went and and knew what size/length and quantity of bolt/nut i wanted.

Might be worth a call to see if they do assormtment packs.

Iain
23-01-10, 01:44 PM
Nice one, I'll have a look at their catalogue and see about ordering some bits.

Will look in to replacing them all with new zinc plated ones, and sort out high tensile bolts for the suspension components as per factory spec (What's the chances there's a diagram or list of all these?)

General Baxter
23-01-10, 02:33 PM
a bolt is a bolt, id only start to worry about strengh if you plan on crashing into a wall at mach 3 tbh lol

John
23-01-10, 02:35 PM
a bolt is a bolt, id only start to worry about strengh if you plan on crashing into a wall at mach 3 tbh lol

Good ole baxter, i'd replace, the torque your front strut to knuckle bolts with stainless ones, see how long they last. :roll:

General Baxter
23-01-10, 02:36 PM
my c16 on soild mounts were held in with a single stainless bolt, as thats what i had at the time, had no problems at all lol

Keif
23-01-10, 02:38 PM
Stainless bolts will be strong enough.

It only gets "brittle" when it's subjected to 600deg heat for extended periods of time.

What GB is saying, any will do for automotive use.