PDA

View Full Version : quick question - help needed

ade
21-01-10, 09:41 PM
Have a friend who has a recent model ford focus hire car and its drinking fuel like crazy.

Its a 1.6 as far as I know.

She came round the other day to borrow some fuel as fuel gauge advised she had 10 miles then dropped to 1 mile!

Anyway when I flipped open the filler cover to reveal the filler neck there wasnt a petrol cap! I assumed this was the problem however she took it back to the hire place (National) and some wee spotty ned advised her that the late model focuses dont have fuel caps on them.

is this right?

Anyone know?

When she said how come its silling fuel all down the rear 1/4 panel the little scrote said that the seal round the filler looked okay (?) and after popping the bonnet accused her of making "modifications" to the engine because there was a screw missing!!! lol FFS shes in her 50's and doesnt even know how to work the fecking stereo!

Rob
21-01-10, 09:45 PM
iirc there is normaly one and they have a bp badge on lol sad i no

L14MNP
21-01-10, 09:48 PM
LMAO They do have a fuel cap. I can say this for certainty without even seeing the car. A flap, as you say will not seal it. Hence the spillage.
Can't see how it would affect the car once the level has dropped below the filler neck though - assuming it was brimmed.

ade
21-01-10, 09:50 PM
just done a quick google and apparantly the new style fords DONT have one!

They have some mental "sensory hole" that will only open if the right fuel nozzle is inserted!

Which is utter b0llox because I had to shove a piece of hose down this thing last night to top it up because the jerry can pourer I use was too short and ended up p1ssing fuel all over the floor!

Fords - utter junk imo!

L14MNP
21-01-10, 09:51 PM
Blue oval FTW. *goes to read up on new Focus.

VX will adopt the same system in about a decade lol.

Bet it drives awesome too! lol

Rob
21-01-10, 10:00 PM
just done a quick google and apparantly the new style fords DONT have one!

They have some mental "sensory hole" that will only open if the right fuel nozzle is inserted!

Which is utter b0llox because I had to shove a piece of hose down this thing last night to top it up because the jerry can pourer I use was too short and ended up p1ssing fuel all over the floor!

Fords - utter junk imo!

thats the same design as the new renaults and citroens then

Pistol Pete
21-01-10, 10:06 PM
New fords dont have one. The misses had a new shape Fiesta the other week, work rental. She went to fill it up and retuned home still on the red! She couldnt work out how to open the flap lol TBH i went out and looked, took me a while too lol You press the flap to release it, no cap. The flap acts as a seal once shut. I too found it slightly odd.

Jack
21-01-10, 11:27 PM
Was about to say is there not a flap on the fuel filler than stops fuel spilling out in massive amounts? My Celica has one.

...buuut then thats japanese, so is superior to any euro sh!tbox or american crap lol