PDA

View Full Version : is this me bearin going?????????????????

Cjscooby
01-04-03, 11:12 PM
Hiya guys

Right i when i am drivin in a straight line my steering wheel shakes about an inch an a half from side to side i am all most sure the bearin is fuked but just need a second opinion i have replaced the bottom ball joints an track rod ends an got new bearing waitin to go in.
Cheers all
CJ :?

ade
02-04-03, 12:29 AM
I'd say it the balance/tracking or maybe steering rack.

bearing could cause it but you'd hear a rather loud humming noise - which (and I quote someone who I cant remember for a while back) -
"sounds like a light sabre at full tilt!"

If youve had track rod ends and ball joints done and tracking done and you dont have light sabre noise then I reckon on steering column (haynes points to a rubber flexible coupling).

ade

Cjscooby
02-04-03, 12:33 AM
there is a hummin noise an i know that the bearin is on its way out as there is a little play in it an as i have got 16's on the car they make that little play feel like alot of play, just not sure that the bearin would make the steerin an whole car shake as much as it does i am pretty sure that the streerin rack is ok but the trackin may be a little out.
Cheers
CJ

ade
02-04-03, 12:36 AM
process of elimination m8 - if youre doing one you may as well do both?

Can you do them yerself?

Ade

Cjscooby
02-04-03, 12:38 AM
i have got the bearins waitin to go in just gotta take off the steerin knuckle an take it to me mates garage an get him to press the bearins in for me so i am hopin that will sort out all the problems :?

Nova-Boy
02-04-03, 08:10 AM
My car humms like a light sabre when i go round right hand corners. Do you think this is the wheel bearing?

how much are they and what side would it be if it does in on right handers? Should i change them both at the same time?

Aragorn
02-04-03, 08:44 AM
prolly be the right hand bearing as thats the one taking most of the load when your cornering right

mine does it when cornering left and ive also got a fucked CV joint on the left side too :(

i'd replace both - they've both taken the same mileage so if one has died id expect the other to go soon

Cjscooby
02-04-03, 10:57 AM
they bearsin cost me ?15 trade price :lol: but i am goin to be payin a tenner a side now to get them pressin into the steering knuckle.

if you turning right it will be the left hand side that take all the loads cause thats the side the body rolls too!!!
Cheers
CJ

brian
02-04-03, 08:34 PM
couldn't imagine the bearing causing that much movement in the wheel.
very bad tracking maybe

Cjscooby
02-04-03, 10:25 PM
yeah trackin is a mile out i looked at it today an its really bad lol

novarally9999
03-04-03, 12:55 AM
Normally with a wheel bearing:

If it hums on a right hand corner its the left wheel bearing
and vice versa

Same on CV joints

Cjscooby
03-04-03, 12:46 PM
just had me trackin done an the bloke says that was did make it shake a little, an its not the bearings took it round the block an still shakes an he reckons me back tyre is out of shape !?!?!?