PDA

View Full Version : engine building. Recomended reading

benji
01-04-03, 10:03 PM
can any one recomens some good books/ websites for reading up on engine bulding.
i whant to read up on how to do stuff as well as what all the terms actually mean. e.g lightened and balenced bottom end, as an example,i know its a good thing and i know why it's a good thing but i want to know how to do it and whats involved

Cheers

Ben

Jim
01-04-03, 10:08 PM
Read the haynes manual cover to cover. That should give you a bit of information.

Jim

jatinder
01-04-03, 10:12 PM
no that will confuse him even more :lol:

benji
01-04-03, 10:19 PM
i know anout the standard stuff it's the uprated bits i want to read up on

ade
02-04-03, 12:48 AM
best thing m8 is to enroll in a college course. Readfing is one thing but to actually get hands on is something completely different.

When I get off these nasty back shifts I'm gonna look at doing that too. Fecked off giving money to mechanics when I'm sure with a bit of knowledge and knowshow i can do it myself!

bfuller
02-04-03, 03:52 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0951610201/ref%3Dsr%5Faps%5Fbooks%5F1%5F1/026-1001045-4020409

mikeoxford
02-04-03, 05:01 PM
me think the same as ade kinda

just dive in and take one apart
its only nuts and bolts innit

thats how i learned...............

it cant brake as such, just rip it apart! or buy a knacker of an engine for PEANUTS thats totally shot or sommat, and take that to bits, u dont have to wqorry about putting it back together then!

DEFO the best way tho

Breeny
02-04-03, 05:05 PM
Or find a really helpful farmer that will help you out to learn stuff and what not. They have to be really old though so they have a lot of experience. :lol:

mikeoxford
02-04-03, 05:06 PM
Or find a really helpful farmer that will help you out to learn stuff and what not. They have to be really old though so they have a lot of experience. :lol:

i wondered what the hell u was on about then i twigged :lol:

a certain resident expert admin member!?

benji
02-04-03, 06:58 PM
It's not that i want to know how to do things more a case of how things are done

Example.... i stripped down a 1.3 sr engine just to see what it looked like inside, and i took my gearbox to bits after i blew a hole in the side of it with the end of a drive shaft.

what i want to read up on is the stuff i can't do at home, like how is a crank etc lightened and balenced, and other stuff like that

cheers bfuller thats the sort of stuff i'm after,

does anyone know of any websites with this sort of stuff on

Cheers

Ben