PDA

View Full Version : MOT time...ARGGGHHHH!

Neil.
01-04-03, 06:50 PM
ive got 1.2 injection system on a astra 1.6 engine as many of u will know, its MOT this month.
So, it's de-catted, what do u recon i should do about emisions? I've still got my cat so should i stick it back on, is it hard to do myself just while i take it to MOT station, then take if off when im home, if its not, how do i do it? and will it help?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Aragorn
01-04-03, 09:23 PM
the astra engine is pre-cat so it doesnt matter

they prolly wont test it anyway but if they ask tell em the engine is a 16SV from a carbed astra

carb engines cant have cats

so you should be fine

mikeoxford
01-04-03, 09:28 PM
id imagine your emissions will be very low anyway because there ent too much fuel getting through if your using a small injector........ :? just an idea

Neil.
02-04-03, 12:24 AM
exactly mike, but ive heard so many stories, ill just have to stick it in without cat on and see what they say.

ade
02-04-03, 12:33 AM
surely youd need to rewire the lambda sensor etc (I'm not sure on this but it seems to crop up alot when peeps mention decatting).

I suggest you pay ?20 and go and get the car emmisions tested/tuned beforehand. Its always worth it and if it comes out higher at the MOT station you can get yer money back from the garage that did it - especially if you get it done at the garage the mot is being done at!

Thats what I'm gonna do. Halfords AA service centres offer pre mot checks for about ?30 for older cars - well worth it if youre sure its gonna fail!

Neil.
02-04-03, 12:41 AM
cheers ade.

mikeoxford
02-04-03, 12:48 AM
dont forget u get a free retstat most MOT stations, so why pay ?30 for a pre check, when you can find out at the MOT and then fix it for the retest!

Aragorn
02-04-03, 08:36 AM
the lambda probe must be connected

if it wasnt the engine would have melted itself by now cos it would be running on the default mapping for the 1200

the lambda will keep the emissoins bang on anyway

uve nowt to worry about

novax
02-04-03, 12:30 PM
It's been said already but just to reasure you..... If the engine is pre-cat you don't need one to be legal. The Lambda should sort you out anyway. BTW a Lambda of 1 is what you're looking for which is a air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1 :)