PDA

View Full Version : BHP lolwut

wwmnw
20-01-10, 01:21 AM
Just done a quiz on facebook (I'm bored) and one of the questions was "What is the full form of BHP"

The choices were;
Benz handling power
British handling power
British hand power
British horse power << the answer

Lolwut? Is Britain the only place in the world that measures BHP :confused: lol (I know the yanks use (R)WHP, simpletons.)

Piktors speek 1000 wurds
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/lostboy_014/lulniggawut.jpg

Spudly
20-01-10, 01:34 AM
But is Brake Horse Power, as its measuring the force required to stop the engine, as in the rollers being braked and the engine pushing against it, hence Brake(d) Horse Power :roll:

wwmnw
20-01-10, 01:44 AM
Lol I know what BHP means, it made me laugh when I got to that one and it didn't have Brake Horse Power, what I was asking is, is Britain the only place that measures an engines power with BHP?

Spudly
20-01-10, 01:50 AM
Quite possibly mate, australians use kilowatts iirc, america uses HP or measures in torque figures!

wwmnw
20-01-10, 01:51 AM
And I think most of Europe uses KW too. Lolwut.

Stuart
20-01-10, 08:28 AM
The yanks still use BHP, but its measured at the wheels to give WHP (WBHP would jsut be too long lol)

KW or ps ftw.

Sloth
20-01-10, 09:01 AM
there is 2 answers. brake horse power and bengali hydronmeter power. thats what the indians use. 22 brake horse power = 356 bengali hydronmeter power.

Richie_B
20-01-10, 10:41 AM
Shows the sort of retards that make these quizes lol.

Maybe British horses have different running abilities to their American counterparts.

Jack
20-01-10, 11:25 AM
American horses are good, but arabic horses is what you want, they're good runners.

Anywoo. kW ftw. I think the yanks use WHP as wayyy back in the day the american government told car manufacturers than BHP (i.e. at the fly) was too misleading to consumers as a, for example, 289 V8 could be putting out 300bhp at the fly but after it had passed through transmission and ancilliaries it would be like 5bhp at the wheels.

The quiz is still wrong though, the proper form of BHP is indeed Brake Horse Power.

Southie
20-01-10, 11:47 AM
In drilling and Marine industries the term BHP = Bottom Hole Pressure lol

Stuart
20-01-10, 01:19 PM
American horses are good, but arabic horses is what you want, they're good runners.

Anywoo. kW ftw. I think the yanks use WHP as wayyy back in the day the american government told car manufacturers than BHP (i.e. at the fly) was too misleading to consumers as a, for example, 289 V8 could be putting out 300bhp at the fly but after it had passed through transmission and ancilliaries it would be like 5bhp at the wheels.

The quiz is still wrong though, the proper form of BHP is indeed Brake Horse Power.

BHP can be at the wheels, flywheel, crank, middle of the gearbox etc....
the WBHP (to be picky) did come about because of what you say. Plus it means that when you RR loads of cars you dont get gheyness of guessed tranny losses.

pikey1986
20-01-10, 02:26 PM
i was once told you should allow up to 14% for tranny losses

Stuart
20-01-10, 03:12 PM
i was once told you should allow up to 14% for tranny losses

FAIL

well ok yes im sure you might get 14% losses at one point of the speed/load setup on some gearbox somewhere...

losses depend on tyres, tyre pressure, gearbox oil, gearbox wear, rideheight/drive shaft angle, bearing conditions, ambient temp etc etc oh and if the Rr operator is a tool or a good bloke lol

Losses arent a straight line either as they vary with how the car squats about on the rollers and also the other variables listed. so a flat %age isnt correct.

Sloth
20-01-10, 05:07 PM
actually yanks pre 73 used gross horse power, then post 73, the govt told them to use bhp as its more truthful. ghp is measured using a hand picked engine, with no ancillaries, fully tuned and "tweeked" to get the reading. hence why post 73 yanks make alot less power

Bubba
20-01-10, 05:23 PM
1 horse power = 3 donkey power

Jack
20-01-10, 05:25 PM
actually yanks pre 73 used gross horse power, then post 73, the govt told them to use bhp as its more truthful. ghp is measured using a hand picked engine, with no ancillaries, fully tuned and "tweeked" to get the reading. hence why post 73 yanks make alot less power
1973 Oil Crisis

Sloth
20-01-10, 05:30 PM
thanks, couldnt remember if it was the yom kippur war or something else...

Mike
20-01-10, 05:40 PM
Everyone knows British horses are faster :)

Re: trans loss, its well known that no gearbox oil makes +14.9867bhp. Its the next must have/do mod.

The equivilant of nearly 15 great big shire horses dnot cha ya know.

Bubba
20-01-10, 05:42 PM
Everyone knows British horses are faster :)

Re: trans loss, its well known that no gearbox oil makes +14.9867bhp. Its the next must have/do mod.

The equivilant of nearly 15 great big shire horses dnot cha ya know.

oh ansome...i ran mine with no oil for 12 months:thumb:

Jack
20-01-10, 05:56 PM
You're supposed to put oil in the gearbox?

Oh.

Mike
20-01-10, 05:59 PM
You're supposed to put oil in the gearbox?

Oh.

Yes mate, engine oil is suffice. 15w 40.

Remember, brake fluid goes in the washer bottle to wash the pads & stop black dust on the alloys.

Water goes in via the oil cap, it gets to the radiator quicker.

mayhem
20-01-10, 06:14 PM
and winter screen wash in the tank, there's alcohol in it, gives extra hp's!!

Plug
20-01-10, 06:32 PM
and winter screen wash in the tank, there's alcohol in it, gives extra hp's!!

sweet just bought 10L of screen wash was buy one get one free lol