PDA

View Full Version : Home made exhaust

Nova-Boy
01-04-03, 02:49 PM
There is loads of stainless tubing going scrap at work. Do you think i could get rid of the centre section of my exhaust and replace it with a straght piece of tube to the back box? Would this be:

1. Too noisey without the centre expansion box
2. Make it run bad because of no expansion box
3. Fail an MOT

Free stainless exhaust??

Thanks

mikeoxford
01-04-03, 02:53 PM
stainless steel and aluminium are the worst materials to attempt to weild, because of the chemicals gone into produceing them.

be sure to be protected if u weld!

id say its possible yes if u wanted it that bad......

get the old section off, bend or manufacture pipe as close as poss. bobs ur uncle

whitey
01-04-03, 04:07 PM
LOL! Sounds good! Just dont go and stick a Peco on after removing the centre section! May aswell have no backbox at all then!

Get a decent zorst which actually silences well coz it should purr without the centre section! If its free then u cant really go wrong!

ydg27
01-04-03, 04:24 PM
why does everyone slag peco off?
i have got a peco backbox off a triumph TR8 on my nova derv and it sounds lovely!
and its a piece of piss to remove the centre section, before you do though, measure the new pipe against the old, make sure the 2 pieces will mate correctly and you don't have to weld if you don't want to, all i do is use exhaust clamps and exhaust putty and it seals it nicely!

and i still cant get my head around this peco nonsence

Benjoyce
01-04-03, 04:27 PM
cheap, tacky, not well made, all sound like poo poo, better out there for money, bb4(need a say more????!!!)

Nova-Boy
01-04-03, 05:57 PM
I dont think i would need to weld it cos the centre section is just striaght with a bend over the axle? I can get it welded or bent at work though if i need too. So you all say yes then go for it?? I will have to take in my spare centre section and get one made up the same length without the centre expansion box. Has anyone ever done this b4?

Might as well make one. Something to do.