PDA

View Full Version : Eccentric Topmounts

andy_017
19-01-10, 09:30 PM
Quick question,

My eccentric topmounts have come from gaz and they are for a nova this time,however I really am stuck on how to get them fitted!

When I offer them up to the car I've been told to get full adjustment on you need to run the two bolts in opposite holes,however when I do this the raised part of the topmount will not come up through the hole in the turret! It looks like a big chunk of the turret will need taking off to make them fit,how has everyone else running topmounts got round this? I've seen that trackday nova just ran his upside down, which could be a solution?

Any help would be much appreciated!

MK999
19-01-10, 09:32 PM
People either cut/file out the strut tops, or as you run them upside down, running them upside down is a bit of a can of worms, as that massive machined chunk on top is there for a reason and that little tiny circlip is designed to hold the bearing in, not support the weight of an engine+front being thrown through a corner.

Iain
19-01-10, 09:33 PM
I don't fancy upside down as the car is resting on a circlip/thin piece of alloy.

Just fit them in the best position you can, without doing some hardcore mods you'll never get as much adjustment as they can give - just put the raised part rearward and inward and take it somewhere to get aligned/set up.

Lee H
19-01-10, 10:26 PM
No idea why they changed the design. I have old TAS ones are they are designed to run the other way up which seems to make a lot more sense to me?

djbrowney
19-01-10, 10:31 PM
No idea why they changed the design. I have old TAS ones are they are designed to run the other way up which seems to make a lot more sense to me?

but iirc all yours weight is pushing on the circlip holding the bearing in as there upside down :confused:

you need to run a hole saw through the strut top, i also had a to have a bit machined of the top mount mate !

Rick Draper
19-01-10, 10:37 PM
but iirc all yours weight is pushing on the circlip holding the bearing in as there upside down :confused:

you need to run a hole saw through the strut top, i also had a to have a bit machined of the top mount mate !

No cause lee's are designed to be ran that way. The circlip is still down, along with the nipple.

Iain
19-01-10, 10:39 PM
Do you not lose strength by drilling the turret hole bigger?

djbrowney
19-01-10, 10:41 PM
i had strut top welded on so i hope not, not a lot of choice really lol

Count Vaux Alot
19-01-10, 10:42 PM

I had the same TAS ones and they were a much better design i wish i hadn't sold them now :tard:

andy_017
19-01-10, 10:45 PM
So maybe the best thing to do is to have the topmounts machined down as much as I can without weakening them and then just run the topmounts were I can?

Adam
19-01-10, 10:47 PM
I run mine the proper way up and my turrets are un-modded

Iain
19-01-10, 10:49 PM
You don't get optimum camber/caster settings tho Ad.

You can machine them down approx 3mm I think? Don't remember how much mine were done...

peester
19-01-10, 10:52 PM
i got tas ones :-)

andy_017
19-01-10, 10:57 PM
i got tas ones :-)

B*****d haha!

scott.parker
19-01-10, 11:48 PM
Im not going to get into this too much, but all i will say is..

If you ask around there is allot of things held by cir-clips that hold allot more wight and stress to them than on the one's in the top mount.

Count Vaux Alot
20-01-10, 01:37 PM
Im not going to get into this too much, but all i will say is..

If you ask around there is allot of things held by cir-clips that hold allot more wight and stress to them than on the one's in the top mount.

This is true Olly beat nine bells of sh!te out of his and had no issues at all......can of worms GO!

Stuart
20-01-10, 01:47 PM
I never knew GAZ supplied top mounts ;) I assume you mean you sent yours to them to mod to fit the coilovers properly.

other problem to the upside down running is you gain about an inch in ride height/travel in the damper.

andy_017
20-01-10, 02:17 PM
No GAZ actually supplied the topmounts and everything all in one go,I was going to go down the route of sending topmounts into them and they said we'll supply everything!

The other thing I might do is just see if I can get hold of some concentric topmounts for ease and convenience of fitting them?

scott.parker
20-01-10, 05:00 PM
PM'd you dude, contact who i mentioned and see what they say.

Scott

Iain
20-01-10, 05:10 PM
Not a lot of point in concentric ones now you've got the eccentric ones - you might as well have a tiny bit of adjustment rather than none!

andy_017
20-01-10, 06:06 PM
Cheers Scott,pm replied dude!

Iainel yeah I see what you're saying there mate but they won't fit at all unless I modify them,or the turret?

Iain
20-01-10, 06:09 PM
Hmm weird, my Compbrake ones fit in loads of different positions within the turret hole. Do yours have holes all the way round the edge or just 4 of 'em?

Graeme
20-01-10, 06:16 PM
I have also had this worry recently, cheers Lee, I checked Ad's wip after seeing his post on Mig and I'm happy running the same numbers as his, Looking at the pictures you only loose a small amount of adjustment not modifying either part

Adam
20-01-10, 06:59 PM
This is true Olly beat nine bells of sh!te out of his and had no issues at all......can of worms GO!
And they are still on mine now...:thumb:

andy_017
20-01-10, 07:58 PM
Do you have a link to ad's thread Graham?

Mine have holes all the way around them but they are a mile out seriously from lining up with the turret hole, i could have them machined by about 5mm and could get them in some holes but they wouldnt be opposite holes equalling not full adjustment???

srs1
20-01-10, 08:54 PM
think i shall be doing the same as you andy. will take a look at ads wip thread unless he's feeling really nice and posting a photo on here.

i'm gonna do mine next week.

Graeme
20-01-10, 09:02 PM
Try looking about this time last year when he was fitting them to the white one, my theory on machining them is if its an option then why don't compbrake do it as standard, they surely know of the problem and I'm sure machining up to five mm off is jeopardising there strength, but I agree with you on cutting the shell also, I don't know of the figures of castor and camber these top mounts can provide but I'm sure its far more than required for a fast road car, obviously a dedicated track car would be very different.

Lee H
20-01-10, 09:11 PM
If Adams are Ollys old ones I'm pretty sure they have had about a third of the top mount sliced off as well.

Count Vaux Alot
20-01-10, 09:14 PM
If Adams are Ollys old ones I'm pretty sure they have had about a third of the top mount sliced off as well.

You are correct - i know as i did the slicing lol

Iain
20-01-10, 09:15 PM
On the Compbrake ones you can't use completely opposite holes, the diameter of them is just too big. You just use whatever 2 holes that line up to get the middle where you want it.

I ran roughly 1deg neg camber and 1deg pos caster on Compbrake topmounts running the right way up - not really more than enough adjustment.

Graeme
20-01-10, 09:16 PM
They do look a lot butchered underneath

Adam
23-01-10, 09:26 PM
You are correct - i know as i did the slicing lol
:thumb:

Although in the position i run them, im pretty sure i could have un-modded topmounts and still be fine.

Checked mine today and they sit inwards in the turret, if you get me.
Giving a bit of negative camber.