PDA

View Full Version : Ignition timing

General Lee
19-01-10, 06:59 PM
Hi,

Just to clarify as i have to do this tomorow morning and i need to make sure im doing it right. It's on a 1.2st carb engine.

1. Connect strobe timing gun to ignition lead 1 which is far left looking at it from the front of the car and put the two clamps on the battery.

2. Turn engine over or on.

3. Point strobe at the timing marks on the bottom crankshaft pulley, and am i right in saying they have to line up the two marks to the strobe.

4. To adjust it i need to twist the distributor accordingly to get the two timing marks to match each other when the strobe flashes. Also remove vacume pipe from dizzie.

therealnovaboy
19-01-10, 07:11 PM
correct. you have to remove the vaccume advance pipe from the distributor.

put a dab of tipex on the marks to show them up better under the strobe.

burgo
19-01-10, 07:19 PM
id be suprised if it runs the best when the marks are inline

jimbob-mcgrew
19-01-10, 09:31 PM
maybe your vaccum advance is dead. you should be able to tell when u get the gun on it, there wont be any change in the marks when u disconnect and recconect the hose to the dizzy, check that pipe at both sides too, they sometimes perish at either end and loose vaccum.

John
19-01-10, 09:38 PM
Don't forget to dial in the timing, 10deg btdc iirc?

jimbob-mcgrew
19-01-10, 09:45 PM
Don't forget to dial in the timing, 10deg btdc iirc?

^ nice one john, gotta change the cambelt on mine aswell tommora, totally forgot about the 10 degress allowance :thumb:

garyc
19-01-10, 10:15 PM
The timing mark is 10 deg so the gun should be at 0.

MK999
19-01-10, 10:21 PM
The timing mark is 10 deg so the gun should be at 0.

That's the bottom timing mark, the top one is spot on for cam timing, at least on the E16, assuming it to be the same on these!