PDA

View Full Version : timing marks

swedge
18-01-10, 10:31 PM
where are the tming marks on my 1.0 nova

i need to set it to tdc to sort out my dizzy cap

i know i can do it by feeling for the piston but there must be timing marks somewhere

also arethe cylinders still numbered from left to right when standing in front of the car looking in

like this

1234 and not

swedge
18-01-10, 10:53 PM
right just found out how to set it to tdc

if i take the cover off to reveal the chain will oil piss out?

jimbob-mcgrew
19-01-10, 12:28 AM
not that i know much about those 1 litre lumps, but it shouldnt do if its above the sump, the oil would have drained below. might be worth getting something to use as a drain tray just incase it dribbles a bit tho :thumb:

something tells me, from the depths of my mental abyss, i think theres dots marked on the chain and pulleys, might be something else entirely tho, haynes will tell u im sure.

rather than pulling all that off tho, theres an easier way of finding tdc, you pull the plug out of port one and put a length of metal or screwdriver in there, something clean, without sharp edges, and as u turn the engine over by hand, it'll rise and fall with the piston. when its at its upward peak of movement, that's tdc.

^ might not be the same with the 1 litre so dont hold me to that info, but can give it a try, it shouldnt hurt anything with the dizzy set wrong, will save time if it works.

the 1 litres got oldskool points and condenser in the dizzy hasnt it ? needs setting up with a feeler gauge, i forget how to do it.

daverobson
19-01-10, 12:36 AM
what are you trying to do? if its just set the ign. timing up then you will just need a stobe light conected to plug lead one (left) and remove vacume pipe from dizzy, the timimg mark will be on the bottom pulley. there will be a spec telling you of where to line this up.

as above haynes manual?

jimbob-mcgrew
19-01-10, 12:47 AM
i assumed he was trying to set the rotor arm position

swedge
19-01-10, 08:48 AM
the dizzy i recieved dosnt have any adjustment in it

im trying to set up the rotar arm so i can get theleads in the correct position

i must just set it to tdc using the screwdriver on the piston method as it sems the easiest and i dont need to take the plate off covering the chain

swedge
19-01-10, 09:11 AM
according to autodata the leads go in a clockwise pattern around the dizzy

is that right as i hear most people saying anti

jimbob-mcgrew
19-01-10, 12:18 PM
not sure, can try it both ways, might help to spin the rotor arm 180 degrees if it fits in that way.
do you know how to set the cb points up in that dizzy ?

swedge
19-01-10, 01:09 PM
the rotar arm only fits 1 way

i fitted the new arm and cap and the arm must be for a different cap as it damaged the center point on the cap

i had to fit the old cap and old arm, it has new leads and new plugs bu it still ran pretty lumpy

i have to put lead 1 on the opposite side of the cap to get it to run, if i put it like autodata says it wont run

when i set it to tdc and put lead 1 where the rotar arm points to it dosnt run or start

ive ordered a matching cap and arm and also a set of points as the ones in it are quite worn and needed a bit of adjusting

hopefully the new cap and arm fixes my probs