PDA

View Full Version : buyin a sr

Dave
01-04-03, 11:11 AM
goin to look at a cheap sr with the intention to buy it tonight what else do i need to check/look for?

- tyre tread
- oil filler cap for white gunk
- knocking tapping/noises
- signs of smoke from the exhaust/breather
- lights
- condition of floor for rust
- fluid leaks
- pullls/vibrations when driving

cheers

Cjscooby
01-04-03, 11:17 AM
i would check the fuel gauge as the sender unit goes quite a bit on all nova common fault so vaux say, check boot floor for rust, archs the usual, the engine water don't have oil in it an the oil don't have water in if it has head gasket has gone like mind did the week after i brought it :evil:
Good Luck
CJ

Benjoyce
01-04-03, 11:19 AM
hazard switch coz theya re ?25!!!!!!
arches fro rust,
speedo all works,
lights all work
seats fro wear and tear, or busted side supports
get under neath to check for rust on the rear suspension bits.
check boot for rust,

i'm sure someone else will think of other bits

whitey
01-04-03, 11:30 AM
Dont just not buy coz of something like a tworn seat! Knock ?25 or more off!

Also check the alternator/battery and that they are working correctly when heater, lights, stereo etc is on! If everything dims loads with standard stereo equipment then knock some more off! :twisted:

Benjoyce
01-04-03, 11:31 AM
sorry forgot to say that theses are major major probs!

just remember novas are fairly easy to repair anyhow, and you can pick up bits no probs

Dave
01-04-03, 11:40 AM
if any bits need a 'quick fix' will swap them from my other nova while it's off road
whitey you mean put loads of strain on the battery then tell him it's gonna need a new battery/alt, surely this one doesn't work??!

Cjscooby
01-04-03, 12:07 PM
also check the cam belt!!!

whitey
01-04-03, 12:56 PM
if any bits need a 'quick fix' will swap them from my other nova while it's off road
whitey you mean put loads of strain on the battery then tell him it's gonna need a new battery/alt, surely this one doesn't work??!

Yeah it does and sometimes it means you will need a new one if its bad enough! Most likely if the batterery is fcuk he will have ran the car all mornin to make sure it starts fine! So Test the fcuker!
But if its fine you sometimes can get money off anyway! :twisted:

As for checking the cam belt thats no biggie! To be honest you cant go taking apart the whole engine! If everything else is fine then change the cambelt, oil, sparks, leads, dizzy, rotor arm, oil filter, rocker cover gasket rad water/coolant, bleed/upgrade brakes if necessary etc etc after you have brought car unless it has good service history to support this which i doubt very much!

Dave
01-04-03, 03:03 PM
wil give it a fcukin good service at work on thursday anyway cos if i buy it i'm goin to sheffield meet on sunday in it!

MattyWoo
01-04-03, 03:13 PM
theres a buying guide on novabug.com it covers mechanical, bodywork and interior.

http://www.novabug.co.uk/BuyingGuide.html

cheers
Matt

Dave
01-04-03, 08:45 PM
i brought it, 1.4 sr bodywork is a bit of a mess, in side the same
but from the drive of it it felt good an the engine was good! gonna give it a thorough goin over tomorrow in the workshop got to fix an exhaust leak an the window winder was broken but here's the best bit got him down from ?500 to ?180 an kept the 15'' 3 spoke alloys gotta bin the alloys an do a bit of 'restoration' to it before sunday's meet but i will be there in my 2nd vauxhall nova!

mikeoxford
01-04-03, 09:30 PM
i brought it, 1.4 sr bodywork is a bit of a mess, in side the same
but from the drive of it it felt good an the engine was good! gonna give it a thorough goin over tomorrow in the workshop got to fix an exhaust leak an the window winder was broken but here's the best bit got him down from ?500 to ?180 an kept the 15'' 3 spoke alloys gotta bin the alloys an do a bit of 'restoration' to it before sunday's meet but i will be there in my 2nd vauxhall nova!

if only i could persuade the parents for me to take over the garage or the car port :roll:

i think they would if i tidied one of them first :(

Dave
02-04-03, 11:37 AM
due to the bird comin round last night didn't have a lot of time to tell you about it
it's a white an rust coloured 1.4sr h reg mk1
15'' 3 spokes with bald tyres & he chucked in the standard sr wheels
10 months mot 1 months tax
slight exhaust blow and rattle (think rubber has stretched)
cracked headlight and rear o/s light cluster
arches rolled (look like they have been hit with a fcukin big hammer)
drivers window winder broken (glass slides up an down at will)
sparkrite alarm an immob
all lights an clocks work fine

just got to give it a good service and a proper clean inside an out an all being well should see everyone in it at sheffield on sunday

CP
02-04-03, 12:36 PM
Buying cars?

Do - check its legal - need to see V5 doc. Cross check the details carefully with those on the VIN plate/ security marks on windows etc.
Do - ask for service history and MOTs - cross check all details
Do - go to see it at owners house to cross check the address - ask for ID
Do - take along someone with trade experience if poss. Always go with a m8 wotever.
Do - ask to hear it running/ test drive
Do - ask to see engineers report/garage details if its been altered
Do - haggle
Do - check an insurance quote before you pay

Dont - ever buy the first one you look at
Dont - take along a load of cash
Dont - view at night
Dont - go into known dodgy housing estates to buy summink
Dont - meet up in a car park - motorway services wotever
Dont - buy a modded car if you are in any way doubtful about the work or your ability to assess it.

ALWAYS walk if you are unsure about the legality or safety