PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need more power.

Rexy
18-01-10, 01:04 PM
I took the evo out yesterday with mr Chris in his 172 upto the yorkshire dales.

Mighty fun was had on some very tight twisty B roads single track lanes and the like and it got me thinking... I wanted to up the power on the evo to 350/400 maybe due to the weight, so instead the interior has come out ala the norm and in honesty, these people go on about wanting 500-600 etc brake I personally do not feel its needed.

Anyway it survivied its first major outing pretty well, the new tyres seem to do the job. Its about 100% better than the scooby was and certainly has enough power in the tighter stuff.

So next time you think about wanting say an extra 50/100brake take your **** to some tight twisty single track roads in the middle of the yorkshire dales, it will save you a fortune :)

andy_017
18-01-10, 01:07 PM
Awesome dude, totally agree, a bit of weight saving and you have done a dam cheaper job than chasing massive bhp, still need you too take me out in the evo at some point, never been in one yet!

Rexy
18-01-10, 01:08 PM
Next meet matey if your about i'll take you out in it, its a good giggle :D

craig green
18-01-10, 01:36 PM
People always get used to the power they have & want more.

I say, always resist the 1st mods where possible & leave something for a later date, much like the remapping & intercoolers on modern ZLET's & VAG 20v's etc. Once you pass that stage its £1000's of pounds to go to the next level & only gain 50bhp etc. I gueess its all about having a few bhp more than the next person.

Logical Improvement
18-01-10, 02:44 PM
any idiot can drive fast in a fast car, but it takes a special kind of idiot to drive fast in a slow one.

wwmnw
18-01-10, 02:59 PM
any idiot can drive fast in a fast car, but it takes a special kind of idiot to drive fast in a slow one.

I'll take that as a compliment :d lol

blue_peg_16v
18-01-10, 03:22 PM
to be fair i got used to the xe on carbs and wanted more power which is why i went for the let, but id have the carbed xe back straight away miss the sound and the power was alot more usable didnt just make clouds of smoke when you put your foot down lol power isnt everything drivability is just as important hence why having more than about 250 bhp in a nova for the road is pointless in my opinion my xe was rr at 196bhp and i wish i still had it but we live and learn lol

Rexy
18-01-10, 07:25 PM

Hardly lol.

Its not about going fast, its about enjoyment and having a connection with the car and road and constantly learning, gaining experience and more confidence within yourself and the car.

I used to road rally a 1300 golf and had bucket loads of funn, Even my 1400 corsa sport was awesome on B roads i could go on about driving storys all day. Its only recently ive got back into it with a more focused car :D there is nothing idiotic about it.

Dar
18-01-10, 07:55 PM
Nah, your just getting old Rexy.

andy_017
18-01-10, 09:49 PM
Next meet matey if your about i'll take you out in it, its a good giggle :D

sounds good dude :thumb:

vaughanmc
18-01-10, 09:51 PM
A 45BHP 1.2i Nova will do me - Can stick with an Astra Coupe 1.8 and an Astra 1.9 CDTi 150 in the corners - That's enough for me lol

moffat
18-01-10, 09:54 PM
my mk2 1.2i kept up with a astra coupe 1.8 also beat a clio of the mark will do for me

vaughanmc
18-01-10, 09:55 PM
I can't say I've 'raced' but I've had some fun on the B roads but nothing that would get you into bother like a drag/street race lol

F*ck that! Not for me that nonsense

moffat
18-01-10, 09:57 PM
a never raced just at the lights and a clio was revving his engine up and i pulled away quicker up to redline in 1st and 2nd then slowed downand just cruised along, beat of the line in a k reg nova 1.2 lol lol lol

mowgli
18-01-10, 10:28 PM
I once got a slap from an mg metro owner who was so incenced that it took him 5 miles to pass me when my 1.2 was 4 up. that he parked in the middle of the road in front of me.... the clincher was when I told him that I didn't know we were even racing.......if I had, i'd have whalloped his metro

mowgli
18-01-10, 10:28 PM

new png sticker?

Jack
18-01-10, 11:59 PM
Hm. 240bhp does me fine

auzzy2000
19-01-10, 12:05 AM
my mate is running 240 bhp in a car that weighs 440kgs.thats plenty.it hurts your neck!!!

wwmnw
19-01-10, 12:15 AM
my mate is running 240 bhp in a car that weighs 440kgs.thats plenty.it hurts your neck!!!

What car be that?

adam c
19-01-10, 01:06 AM
What car be that?

My moneys on a Radical SR4 or another car from Radicals range.Dont really know anymore cars off the top of my head that are that light!

Nothing in Caterhams range is anywhere near that weight(not even a lavante or a superlight!)

napalm_27
19-01-10, 01:12 AM
My moneys on a Radical SR4 or another car from Radicals range.Dont really know anymore cars off the top of my head that are that light!

Nothing in Caterhams range is anywhere near that weight(not even a lavante or a superlight!)

your epically wrong :) its a kit car caterham based i think aswell :d:p austen will verify what it is tho as i cant remember off the top of my head :thumb:
he lives up the road from me and im awaiting a trip out in it :thumb:

adam c
19-01-10, 01:18 AM
your epically wrong :) its a kit car caterham based i think aswell :d:p austen will verify what it is tho as i cant remember off the top of my head :thumb:
he lives up the road from me and im awaiting a trip out in it :thumb:

Lies.....until i see a printout from a weigh bridge or corner scales i dont believe you!:p lol

What engine has i got in it?
Be good to see some pics of it if you get chance to take some.

napalm_27
19-01-10, 01:26 AM
Lies.....until i see a printout from a weigh bridge or corner scales i dont believe you!:p lol

What engine has i got in it?
Be good to see some pics of it if you get chance to take some.

very very tuned xe on carbs i believe he's spent a small fortune
had a long chat about it when he picked a xe up off me sounds like an immense bit of kit cant wait to go out in it :d

matt_vaughan
19-01-10, 12:08 PM
440 kgs is possible in a locost type machine

my dads was weighed at the SVA station and think that was about 450 with a Ford CVH, no carbon bits or anything on it either, just run of the mill ally sheet bodywork with grp nose wings etc.

Now XE'd so imagine it weighs a little more now....but I fully believe its possible to have a 440 kg seven type machine.