PDA

View Full Version : unused engine - probs???

ade
31-03-03, 11:44 PM
OK, I've seen a 1.4sr engine with 5 speed gear box and weber carbs for ?65!

The guy wants a quick sale coz hes not doing his project and its taking up space in his workshop.

Its been standing for 12 months.

Now I need a new head on mine since my cam went the other day so I'm wondering if its worth getting this (mines currently a 4 speed by the way).

Speaking to Aragorn who reckons providing the engines not knackered, it should be ok regardless of it standing for so long.

So wot I want to know - gathering the experience of all noverloaders (and not that I dont believe aragorn!) but can I just drop this engine in and go?

Obviously I need to take it easy for a while (goes without saying) - but is it worth it?

And - even if I dont drop the whole engine in, is it worth it just for the head?

Clear answers please - I aint engine minded

Ade

mikeoxford
31-03-03, 11:56 PM
you can try and chances are it will work

but ade mate look at me

i did that

and im back to square one almost - and a bit more out of pocket than ?65

Snowface
01-04-03, 12:00 AM
what engine have you got at the moment? 1.2? I'm pretty sure it'll fit straight in. All Vauxhall's upto 1.6 are small block i believe. With maybe a possible exeption of the odd 1.8.
So in theory it should sit straight in. Dunno bout wires and fuel pumps/hoses, radiators and alternators though.

mikeoxford
01-04-03, 12:10 AM
with what snow fae is getting at

if it is the complete setup then yes itll go straight in - ie manifolds etc etc and alternator brackets and throttle lionkages? if everything is there then yes it will physically fit.

for that money ade its worth a go yes i would have thought, just dont rely upon it being 100% because ask yourself why it been sat for 12 months?

also i was unlucky enough that i had one problem after another :evil: through no fault of my own, just REALLY bad luck.

ANYWAY - clouds and silver linings and all that :lol: 8) watch this space

ade
01-04-03, 12:27 AM
I've got a 1400 at the moment with 4 speed box.

The engine aint been used coz the guy decided to fit a 2ltr instead and didnt use it in his project.

Its been lying in a workshop out the rain.

Think for ?60+petrol even if I can get the head and gear box and weber its worth it!

Ade

mikeoxford
01-04-03, 12:35 AM
not saying it isnt worth it

cos it is

just what im saying is dont expect it to be a quick fix.

especially webers, as they are not a "bolt on" mod.

and even when everything is assembled how you want it. do take it easy as you and i have both found theres no garuntees so when it goes tits up you end up paying out again!

to be fair i think ive had extremely bad luck, and chances are you will find good luck after having your bad spell.

anyway

see you all at the pod :lol: 8) :twisted:

Dicko
01-04-03, 10:46 AM
as long as it had a bit of oil in it the head will be fine. probly the rest of the engine will aswell depends how damp the storage area was

Cjscooby
01-04-03, 11:14 AM
I would give it a full service maybe change the head gasket an then should be up an runnin like new. thats all that i did with me only 1.2 engine before i sold it an that was sat for 2yrs an started up first time :lol:
Cheers
CJ

ade
01-04-03, 06:31 PM
Well, for those that have been following my nightmare with my 1.4 engine I have (touch wood - and not wisewood!) managed to secure the 1400SR with 5 speed box and weber carb.

The mechanic said he'd fit it for free and cover any remedial work (service etc).

As well as that - the bloke whose selling it to me (for ?65!!!) said that I can also have all the bits left over from his old project - this includes 2 front lights, indicators, rear lights, drive shafts and possibly a wing or two!

for ?65!!!

Cannae go wrong!

If the engine dont work Supernovas can supply and deliver a 1400 SR engine for ?200 (inc delivery) and give me a guarantee that covers engine if it doesnt work!

Me and Aragorn are gonna take a trip to get the engine tomorrow - hopefully I will get my car back by Monday!

Here's hoping

Ade
:D

jatinder
01-04-03, 06:54 PM
good luck mate im sure it will be fine after u have changed the plugs oil etc,

brian
01-04-03, 07:41 PM
better luck this time ade :P

PE4
01-04-03, 10:46 PM
ade mate, you mentioned that supernovas can deliver a 1400 SR for ?200...are these recon/used engines, cos I am thinking of getting a spare because I am rapidly approaching the 140,000 mark and I think I may need to find a replacement :(

Cheers

Steve

ade
02-04-03, 12:21 AM
yeah - theyre 2nd hand ones - the one I was offered was from an SR and had about 70k on the clock - they said theyd guarantee it to run once fitted.

novax
05-04-03, 08:30 AM
For that money it's worth it. I had an engine in my garage for over a year and when we put in the Astra it pretty much kicked over straight away :D Fresh oil and water and a few gentle miles and it went great. PeteG used the car for a few months and never let him down - apart from the broken alternator braket, but that's another story.

ade
05-04-03, 11:34 AM
well I delivered the engine - need the control rod to connect the 4 spped stick to the 5 speed linkage (apparantly its different). Also need a new filter coz my JK&N is too big (Mike recommended ramair filter which looks like a sponge but is apparantly excellent!).

Got 2 2nd hand drive shafts with the engine too - guy that gave em to be with the engine advised I should really fit these too.

Anyweay prob not gonna get car back till middle of next week. Cannae get filter and control rod till Wednesday (need to order them from Vauxhall - ?60!) more expense... Filter is however only ?50. Not bad

God I miss my car - I cant drive my missus one -seat ibiza!
Aragorn shat himself most of the way when we got the engine, doing the classic passenger - "go un slow down - slow down!" foot on the floor grabbing the passenger handle above the door!!! :lol: - sorry m8!
Ade

Aragorn
05-04-03, 06:34 PM
:o :o

you were driving about 12" of the blokes bumper and the traffic was stopping elrapido style

i normally leave about 3 or 4 car lenghts when driving on motorway

last time someone drove that close to be i stood on the brakes and they hit me :D

fortunately for her there was no damage :twisted:

ade
06-04-03, 10:40 PM
lol - I'm not usually that bad and always keep my distance, just for some reason when I'm in the missus's car I tend to get too close to people - think its coz I;ve more confisence in her brakes than I do in mine!

:roll:

mikeoxford
07-04-03, 12:22 AM
lol - I'm not usually that bad and always keep my distance, just for some reason when I'm in the missus's car I tend to get too close to people - think its coz I;ve more confisence in her brakes than I do in mine!

:roll:

BRAKES?

remind me what they are again

ANYWAY, when the new rims arrive the 2ltrs will be going straight on with my custom disks, oh yes

just gotta decide how i want them engraved :lol: 8)