PDA

View Full Version : bolt

novah108gly
17-01-10, 07:48 PM
ive tryed to fix my linkage today but failed:mad: in the haynes manual it says that i need to undo a bolt under the car on the gear selector and i cant find the bolt its telling me to undo:confused: plus it says to lock the gear lever in place with a pin punch but there is no holes to put the pin punch in please can anyone who has done this help me because i am selling my car hopefully to get a standard 1.3 sr and have no reverse:thumb:

Adam
17-01-10, 07:51 PM
The bolt is the clamp bolt on the end of the selector rod from the gearstick.

The pin punch/drill bit you put in the back of the selector housing on top of the box, you have to remove a plastic plug first.

Although i dont usually bother doing it that way.
Get the box in neutral, get someone hold the stick in neutral, and then tighten the clamp bolt up

Iain
17-01-10, 07:52 PM
The bolt is where the selector rod attaches to the linkage. It's a 13mm bolt pointing upwards.

It's locked in to place on the gear selector turret, you remove a little rubber bung and place in a punch or drillbit so it locks the linkage in the right place, then you hold the shifter stick to the left and tighten the bolt I mentioned above.

Edit: Doh too late. I've always found doing it with the drillbit-in-the-hole method works nicely to get all the gears properly.

novah108gly
17-01-10, 07:53 PM
do i have to take a cover off from directly under the gear stick under the car to get to this bolt?:thumb:

mowgli
17-01-10, 07:53 PM
the drill bit should be 4.5mm

Iain
17-01-10, 07:54 PM
No the bolt is in the engine bay... Look at the linkage and you should see it.

mowgli
17-01-10, 07:54 PM
do i have to take a cover off from directly under the gear stick under the car to get to this bolt?:thumb:

no, the bolt is on the tube bit of the gear linkage from the gearstick where it meets the bit on the gearbox

novah108gly
17-01-10, 07:58 PM
[quote=mowgli]no, the bolt is on the tube bit of the gear linkage from the gearstick where it meets the bit on the gearbox

right so is it the one that connects to tubes together because undid this one and tightened it back up with no joy? do i have to hold the gear stick to the left or in the neutral posision?

Iain
17-01-10, 08:17 PM
Do what Haynes says. Lock the linkage with the drillbit and hold the stick against the mark on the side.

novah108gly
17-01-10, 08:22 PM
:thumb:
Do what Haynes says. Lock the linkage with the drillbit and hold the stick against the mark on the side.

yhea but to get the drill bit in it says to twist somthing and i couldnt twist anything:confused: sorry if you think im stupid but im only trying to do it myself rarther than paying someone:thumb:

Iain
17-01-10, 08:25 PM
You see the part that comes out of the gear selector turret on top of the gearbox? Twist that while pushing the drillbit in and eventually it'll slide in and lock it in place.