PDA

View Full Version : Claiming of the highways agency for damage to car from pot hole?

John
16-01-10, 01:45 PM
On the way to work this morning, i ran through a puddle at the side of the road, which was concealing a large pot hole, i now have a broken osf spring and a bent track control arm. :roll: The wheel alignment is out too. Is it possible to claim for this sort of damage off the highways agency? Anyone done it before? how'd you fare?
(On the zafira btw)

:) :thumb:

Spudly
16-01-10, 01:48 PM
Not sure how its done but you need physical evidence, head back asap with a good camera and get as many photos of the offending pothole, the location of it in the road and the road itself, possibly take a ruler to measure the depth assuming its still full of water but do it quickly as my mate had the same thing years ago on his cav turbo, bent a rim mullered a new tyre and bent his bottom arm, he went back for pictures just as a repair crew pulled up to fill it in, no evidence = no claim:eek:

He did get a new tubby rim tyre and bottom arm out of them but wouldnt have been able, had the hole been filled before he got pictures!

Walshie_Loon
16-01-10, 01:51 PM
As spudly said, I tried claiming once for a damaged wheel caused by a pot hole. Had no chance without pics. Good luck.

John
16-01-10, 01:52 PM
Got some piccys spud, but i didn't measure the depth of the hole, will go and do it later. (doubt they'll be out on a sat) It was just a puddle at the side of the road this morning, now the water has dropped the hole is visible. it was early and i wasn't concentrating as much as i probably should have been.

John
16-01-10, 01:55 PM
Who is responsible for the road? the district council or the highways agency?

Walshie_Loon
16-01-10, 01:57 PM
I think main roads are highways agency & local roads council.

Spudly
16-01-10, 02:00 PM
Id go get more pics and depth/width measurements bud im pretty sure his happened on a sunday and they rocked up to fix it while he was there, dont chance it mate get as much ammo to back up your case as you can, your road fund licence shouldve prevented this from happening, but yet another case which proves it doesnt fund the roads at all, merely their annual bonuses!

blue_peg_16v
16-01-10, 02:23 PM
get more pics asap

and everyone needs to keep there eyes open at the mo due to the recent weather alot of pot holes have been created, water constantlt thawing and freezing being the cause, i know our local council is out 7 days a week at the moment filling them due to the demand the weather has caused

John
16-01-10, 02:26 PM
Been and taken more pics, will upload some later. It's approx 20-25cms deep in the middle.

Andy
16-01-10, 02:26 PM
There is sh1tloads round here its a fukkin disgrace,in the past ive broken 2 springs 2 different cars on because of them!

John
16-01-10, 02:27 PM
get more pics asap

and everyone needs to keep there eyes open at the mo due to the recent weather alot of pot holes have been created, water constantlt thawing and freezing being the cause, i know our local council is out 7 days a week at the moment filling them due to the demand the weather has caused

Agreed. It looks like it was a fairly small hole, but the frost has now opened it up.

Andy
16-01-10, 02:33 PM
im sure ive heard if they are 40mm or more and you provide good enough evidence that you have a case.
I heard somewhere before the government put aside £xxmillion to pay out for damge caused by roads.
Its sickening as they are quick to take your car tax but not quick enough to spend it on the roads!!!!

wwmnw
16-01-10, 02:34 PM
Some mega pot holes round my way, the roads round here are atrocious at best and I'm constantly avoiding pot holes.

Andy
16-01-10, 02:35 PM
I sometimes feel like im going down a slalom course just lately when driving lol

Spudly
16-01-10, 02:37 PM
I sometimes feel like im going down a slalom course just lately when driving lol

Which is why i want one of these.................

http://i.ebayimg.com/16/%21BTmRwp%21BWk%7E$%28KGrHgoH-DgEjlLl1CLoBKJVDzTcYQ%7E%7E_35.JPG

As i have once been stopped in my old white nova SR, suspicion of drink driving as i was avoiding a lot of potholes and such lol

draper
16-01-10, 02:38 PM
maybe i should of claimed and got the pugrot fixed that way lol

blue_peg_16v
16-01-10, 02:47 PM
jesus 20-25cms is ridiculas

davidfox280585
16-01-10, 02:52 PM
i work on the roads on traffic management,the lads will be out whatever the time,i was currently on the m6 at haydock last night at j23 putting a road closure on so they could resurface a section which was mega bad and this was on the main motorway the highways number is 0845 504030
try them

scott.parker
16-01-10, 03:28 PM
If it's local road it will local council i think john, and yes lots of pics,lots of evidence, i need to do the same as my two near side alloys on the passat got badly dented yesterday for the same reason, and it is due to the water getting then freezing expanding cracking the surface, then thaws and all becomes loose etc, it's really bad all over the country by the sounds of it.

Scott

L14MNP
16-01-10, 04:24 PM
Hope you get some joy mate. It's serious how fcuked the roads are!

I once tried to claim from the Highways agency for two 225/35/18 Eagle F1 gsd3's as the expansion gap on a bridge over the A1 was wrecking them!

I had to cross the brdge in the outside lane at no more than 50mph.

Not on! (I had no joy, surprise surpise.)

Jack
16-01-10, 04:57 PM
It will be the local council. If the hole has markings round it, that means they're aware of it and plan to fill it in - in which case, your claim will be a damned sight harder. You also have to prove the council are not maintaining the roads in accordance with guidelines and "codes of good practice", which will be the thing most likely to scupper your claim as the council could sucessfully defend themselves by saying they've been overwhelmed due to the recent weather etc.

Try this link (http://www.potholes.co.uk/claims/how_to_claim) for all you need to know about claiming for pothole damage :thumb:

mowgli
16-01-10, 05:06 PM
your COUNTY council actually looks after the roads.

nova 2L 16V
16-01-10, 06:15 PM
I work for the highways department and on any road anything more than 25mm is a catogory 1 defect which means it has to be fixed within 24hours or made safe. If you phone your local authority they will have a claim form you will have to fill in. Take as many pictures as you can espesialy of the depth and suroundings to prove where it is.

Adam
16-01-10, 06:20 PM
Ive seen a load of new pot holes round here over the last few weeks, after all this frost and snow.

John
16-01-10, 08:09 PM
Well there's no yellow marking around it. here's a couple of pics, the measuring device (aka evies sand spade) measures 35cms, as you can see there's about 10 of it exposed. This morning it just looked like a puddle.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/tooleater16v/potholepics035.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/tooleater16v/potholepics042.jpg

Adam
16-01-10, 08:12 PM
Funk me, thats a right pot hole!!!!

Where abouts is that John, local???

Hobbit
16-01-10, 08:13 PM
Mrs Hobbit works for council and she says yes

blue_peg_16v
16-01-10, 08:14 PM
i thought that was a new swiming pool in development

John
16-01-10, 09:25 PM
Funk me, thats a right pot hole!!!!

Where abouts is that John, local???

Just at the back of town, by the talbot pub. Tried ringing the highways agency this afternoon, guess what, closed! We'll see how i fare on monday.

Cheers for the link jack!

Hobbit
16-01-10, 09:34 PM
You need to talk to the council, They'll need to know where, when and damade.

John
16-01-10, 09:39 PM
You need to talk to the council, They'll need to know where, when and damade.

Thanks matt, +rep. :)
looks like the wheel and tyre has survived ok, the spring has broken/snapped at the bottom, the os rack end has some bendage and have a nasty knock now too. The steering wheel is out of alignment now also. I'll ring the local council on monday and see how i get on.

Mike
16-01-10, 09:43 PM
Looks like Blackpool pleasure beach that water!

Tis a beast of a well youve driven through there!!

Richie_B
16-01-10, 11:56 PM
CBA to read all the replies in the thread, but doesn't it have to have been a reported hole that hasn't been filled within a reasonable timescale?

novacabrio
25-01-10, 07:13 PM
http://potholes.co.uk/

On fifth gear now (on Dave) pot hole has to be over 40mm to claim

scott.parker
25-01-10, 07:32 PM
I had a slow puncher on my passat, found out it was that the tire was not sealing properly as i had a dent in the inside of the rim from a pot hole! So i just got a rubber mallet on the rim, no leak no more, but the tire is pretty much shot, as it's got two or three bubbles in it, from when it's been low and Ive hit other pot holes!

**** roads...Grrr.. theres £100+ on new tires..

Hobbit
25-01-10, 07:35 PM
Mrs Hobbit was just talking about this tonight. She told her manager about a pot hole claim, to which he laughed and replied "another one?"

novaguy08
25-01-10, 08:08 PM
I did this, write to the council, saying thus (dont send pictures YET! send them to insurance people.) they will send you out an insurance claim form........ I haven't read the entire thread so no sure if its been answered properly.