PDA

View Full Version : rear turreting?

yayoboy
15-01-10, 09:43 PM
hi all, quick question regarding rear turreting, which ill be attempting tomorrow. the top mount, where the damper rod bolts through, do you leave that in its original place, and create the turret to suit, or do you move it at all? im only doing it for the 'factory' look, as the end result for my car is to look a1 condition, not with hammered rear arches! so any handling improvements (if any) by moving the top mount arent required. cheers in advance for any info, sean

yayoboy
16-01-10, 08:31 PM
anyone?

The Simps
16-01-10, 08:52 PM
So why are you turreting? Just for extra spring clearance?

Count Vaux Alot
16-01-10, 09:14 PM
Have a look through my wip, if your turrets are for rear shock clearance then leave the mounting point were it is.

yayoboy
16-01-10, 11:40 PM
^^ yes its only for spring clearance
^looking now

yayoboy
16-01-10, 11:45 PM
thanks for that count, some good pics, have some rep

Pistol Pete
17-01-10, 05:49 PM
IMO turreting isnt needed. I hammered mine. The sealant in the arches isnt a smooth finish anyway so hammering doesnt show up at all.

The Simps
17-01-10, 05:52 PM
^^^^ completely agree. If you're going through the effort of turretting you may aswell move the shock more in bound and give LOADS of wheel clearance. I'd raise the mount point too for more travel when running low. A little tubbing doesn't go a miss too.

Count Vaux Alot
17-01-10, 05:57 PM
^^^^ completely agree. If you're going through the effort of turretting you may aswell move the shock more in bound and give LOADS of wheel clearance. I'd raise the mount point too for more travel when running low. A little tubbing doesn't go a miss too.

I agree also all i was saying is that moving them isn't a mush although while your there etc etc

Pistol Pete
17-01-10, 05:59 PM
Exactly. If you do feel the need to turret, go all out. It's not needed just for spring clearance.

yayoboy
17-01-10, 08:27 PM
ok, so if i go for moving the top mount point over to give more wheel clearance, does that mean i have to move the mount on the beam?

The Simps
17-01-10, 08:57 PM
Yes you would. Are you going disc on your rear beam?

yayoboy
17-01-10, 09:06 PM
no staying with drums, im not gonna mess around moving mounts, like i said its just so it looks better and when my arch is like this any way due to cutting out rot:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/yayoboy/17012010678.jpg

i might as well turret it, or atleast weld the arch piece in a bit for more clearance

yayoboy
19-01-10, 10:47 PM
how about if i just move the top mount up vertically as suggested for shock travel, will it just be a case of literally extending the turret up, but keeping the top mount hole along the same vertical axis?