PDA

View Full Version : Engine gearbox trouble *HELP!!*

Mcgowan
15-01-10, 02:49 PM
Will the gearbox of my four speed 1.2 (f10 i think) fit on a bigblock 1.6 cavvie engine? It has a f16 on at the mo, also would i need to transfer clutch, flywheel? Any help would be greatly appreciated

mowgli
15-01-10, 03:22 PM
No, the f10 bellhousing is too small.

are you positive its a big block cavvy engine??? only mk2 & very few mk3 cavvys had them

Will F
15-01-10, 04:37 PM
If it has an F16 then its a biggie....

Mcgowan
16-01-10, 01:12 AM
No, the f10 bellhousing is too small.

are you positive its a big block cavvy engine??? only mk2 & very few mk3 cavvys had them

I don't know tbh! As i said before it wouldn't fit through the bay as it was too wide so i had to lift the car up and lift it in from underneath! It's out of an 88 f reg mk2 saloon if that helps, if not what driveshafts will fit an f16 box as i'm really fed up with this now!! :( will gte shafts fit and will i need the hubs aswell if i do??????? Thanks for any help

jimbob-mcgrew
16-01-10, 12:49 PM
If it has an F16 then its a biggie....

^ you reckon will ?

he has managed to fit the engine in with his 1.2 mounts.
i dont know for sure but wouldnt he need a 1.8/2.0 mounting kit to fit it if it was bigblock. its one of those engines that a bit of a dark horse, not many know much about it lol

mowgli
16-01-10, 01:05 PM
ok, a mk2 cav had the big block motor. if you managed to make the engine fit on the original 1.2 mount brackets, then it was forced in & the rubbers may fail... the rhs mount will need a bit of cutting & redrilling to make it work properly. the alternator bolt might need a bit of tweeking because that it the only bit that really sticks out.

I believe it is possible to strip the diff out of the f16 & put the unner gears from a f10/13 into it so the std shafts will fit....... or you join the queue for xe conversion shafts
a f13 box should line up ok, but you have to check the spigot size on the input shaft....
the reason the 1.6 ohc 'family II' engine is a dark horse is that it was never really a performance option engine. gm just injected the 1.8 & used that.
the 1.6 had a varijet carb & possibly a pierburg 2e3, and knocked out about 90-95hp. I worked at a place that had a mk2 astra estate with the 1600 engine in it & i could get it up to some impressive speeds.

I also have an unused haynes book for a mk2 cav which you can have for a tenner posted...

jimbob-mcgrew
16-01-10, 01:27 PM
he's also got trouble with the gear linkage, the box side is about an inch and a half high or low and doesnt have room to fit. would that be the standard mounts straining the engine/box into a place it shouldnt be ?

Spudly
16-01-10, 02:46 PM
^^^^Yes Alistair knows this as ive told him, its a big block and needs big block mounts/shafts and such, his best bet is selling it on and going for a smallblock 1600 from a mk3 cav as iirc the early ones were a smallblock!

jimbob-mcgrew
16-01-10, 03:37 PM
allright, so its deffo bigblock.

yeh i think it'll probably be his best choice, bigblock is alot of extra hassles and cost. smallblock he can use all his current 1.2 gear to finish it off.

mowgli
16-01-10, 03:58 PM
as long as he gets an f13 box

jimbob-mcgrew
16-01-10, 04:15 PM
yeh ^ good man mowgli

1.6 will deffo need an f13
1.3 and 1.4 will go in with f10's

Mcgowan
16-01-10, 07:49 PM
Right now i'm confused, which doesn't take much!!lol but you say it'll have been forced into the 1.2 mounts but it actually near enough slid straight in i changed the pass side an gearbox mount but the drivers side was the same on both the nova and the cav.
will it the only real probs i have now as jimbob says is the gearlinkage (off the 1.2) won't go back as it catches on the steerin rack an the shaft problem.

mowgli
16-01-10, 10:05 PM
because you are using the 1.2 mount brackets, the engine is in the wrong place. that is why the linkage is fouling

Mcgowan
17-01-10, 02:16 AM
Right ok i also forgot to mention that the drivers side sits higher than the pass side, i guess thats because of the mounts as you say, but what mounts will i need? or am i better off just cutting my losses and giving up?? :(

blue_peg_16v
17-01-10, 02:38 AM
would be cheaper to find a small block 1.6, as you will need big block 2.0 shafts and mounts which will cost more than a small block 1.6

Spudly
17-01-10, 02:49 AM
but what mounts will i need?

I told you the night you went sledging on your old nova bonnet, its a big block engine, therefore you need 2.0ltr 16v engine mounts and shafts to run it, get rid and get a smallblock 1600 from an early mk3 cav, will you listen to me now please Alistair!

blue_peg_16v
17-01-10, 02:54 AM
do you want a hammer and chisel spud

Mcgowan
17-01-10, 03:36 AM
I know but i've had so many people telling me different things that i didn't know who to listen to!
right i guess i'm gonna go to plan B now then :D

mowgli
17-01-10, 09:07 AM
its easy really. if you are going to all that trouble fitting a big block, you may as well put a 2.0 in it. a 1.6 small block will just slot straight in.

Southie
17-01-10, 09:16 AM
I think you've asked so many people your confusing yourself.

Go back through this thread and have a good read of it, the correct information is there whether you go big block or small block.

Mowgli and Mr Peg, good info as ever and Spud, kick the lads backside next time your round for me as I don't think he listens lol

jimbob-mcgrew
17-01-10, 03:27 PM
lol

Mcgowan
17-01-10, 05:23 PM
lol sorry guys i am a bit of a dumbass!! Thanks for all your help and advice, I'll think i'll just cut my losses rip it back out an stick it up for sale :thumb: