PDA

View Full Version : anyone clued up on 205 gti's

nova-saloon
15-01-10, 02:13 PM
Me and a mate changed engines in his G reg 205 1.9 gti for an F reg 1.6 engine as the 1.9 engine went bang. The gearboxes have reverse in different places, 1.9 box has reverse below 5th (be3 box i think) and the 1.6 box has reverse over by first (be1 box i think). We can get every gear apart from reverse, is there something i could be missing thats not letting reverse engage as both the gear linkage mechanisms look identical.

I've tried asking on a few 205 gti forums but they are naff and no one replies.

Cheers in advance, mike

Southie
15-01-10, 02:22 PM
This any good? CLICKY (http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=114022&st=0&start=0)

L14MNP
15-01-10, 02:26 PM
205gtidrivers forum is full of d!cks, so says my mate who's on with a build at present.

What are you attempting to run now, the 1600 engine and 1600 box?
The new 'box could be fcuked?

I hope not, cos if so then both of the best parts - 1900 engine and 1600 box - have had it. lol

nova-saloon
15-01-10, 02:31 PM
This any good? CLICKY (http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=114022&st=0&start=0)

i had a read through that earlier, cheers anyway

nova-saloon
15-01-10, 02:34 PM
205gtidrivers forum is full of d!cks, so says my mate who's on with a build at present.

What are you attempting to run now, the 1600 engine and 1600 box?
The new 'box could be fcuked?

I hope not, cos if so then both of the best parts - 1900 engine and 1600 box - have had it. lol

yeah we're running the 1.6 engine and box, both were perfect before removing from the doner car about 2 months ago

L14MNP
15-01-10, 02:38 PM
Will text my mate and ask if there's any trouble with the linkages. All I can think of is they may be worn out. That's a common problem.

Years back a mate of mine kept a gardening glove in the car so he could reach down and pop it back on lol.

The first lad I was on about bought new alloy linkages as his were worn. We've had his 'box in and out a few times now and it always selects all gears first time when reinstalled. I'd have my money on the linkages in your mates 1.9 GTi

I hope he's gonna rebuild the 1900 and bolt it up to the 1600 box?

nova-saloon
15-01-10, 02:45 PM
Will text my mate and ask if there's any trouble with the linkages. All I can think of is they may be worn out. That's a common problem.

Years back a mate of mine kept a gardening glove in the car so he could reach down and pop it back on lol.

The first lad I was on about bought new alloy linkages as his were worn. We've had his 'box in and out a few times now and it always selects all gears first time when reinstalled. I'd have my money on the linkages in your mates 1.9 GTi

I hope he's gonna rebuild the 1900 and bolt it up to the 1600 box?

cheers mate that would be ace thanks alot.

I think he'll just be sticking with the 1.6 engine for a while as his 106 rallye is in the middle of an engine rebuild at the moment

Pistol Pete
15-01-10, 02:51 PM
Have you checked its bolted up right? Not taking the mick, just when i had the box of of mine (it was a 1.9 BTW) took me a few goes to get the linkage connected right. At first i selected 1st which turned out to be reverse. Ooops lol

L14MNP
15-01-10, 02:54 PM
He just says the same as me mate, check the linkages and the bracket is all OK.

Does it have a cable coming off the 'box? (Same as my link)

Also he says that BE1/BE3 doesn't mean 1600/1900 'boxes. It's more to do with the year of the car. He tells me his 1600 'box is a BE3.

It seems that the BE1 has lift up reverse over by 1st - hence the cable, and the BE3 is below 5th. (Possibly lol)

I just found this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230411458914&ih=013&category=10406&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1) that's the cable for a BE1 'box.

So check he has the right gear lever as there's two types. I'd try selecting gears direct from the box without the lever and also check if that cable is present/it's condition. Same for the linkages which as you say are the same between the GTi models.

nova-saloon
15-01-10, 02:59 PM
Have you checked its bolted up right? Not taking the mick, just when i had the box of of mine (it was a 1.9 BTW) took me a few goes to get the linkage connected right. At first i selected 1st which turned out to be reverse. Ooops lol

yeah everything seems to be bolted up fine, tried the linkage rods that came off the doner car and still has the same issue. i'll be going out to my garage later on so will double check everything again. cheers

nova-saloon
15-01-10, 03:02 PM
He just says the same as me mate, check the linkages and the bracket is all OK.

Does it have a cable coming off the 'box? (Same as my link)

Also he says that BE1/BE3 doesn't mean 1600/1900 'boxes. It's more to do with the year of the car. He tells me his 1600 'box is a BE3.

It seems that the BE1 has lift up reverse over by 1st - hence the cable, and the BE3 is below 5th. (Possibly lol)

I just found this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230411458914&ih=013&category=10406&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1) that's the cable for a BE1 'box.

So check he has the right gear lever as there's two types. I'd try selecting gears direct from the box without the lever and also check if that cable is present/it's condition. Same for the linkages which as you say are the same between the GTi models.

we dont have that cable, lol, how stupid do i look now:roll: +rep

L14MNP
15-01-10, 03:11 PM
:) Glad it's nothing serious mate. Cheers for the rep. lol

I only get it on here for being a d!ck/amsuing people. It's never for Nova mechanics as I have only ever owned one and know nowt about XE engines etc. lol

205 GTi and a 106 Rallye, great cars but your mate must be a sucker for punishment! Don't let him by a Renault lol

Southie
15-01-10, 03:19 PM
we dont have that cable, lol, how stupid do i look now:roll: +rep

Your not stupid, your mates the one that needs slapping lol