PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 SR running problem!! Help??

Matty Winslade
14-01-10, 11:10 PM
Hello Gents/Ladies

My 1990 SR(100% standard)......when pulling up to traffic lights/roundabout etc and i put my clutch down or put it in neutral..the revs drop right down to like 500 RPM...runs all lumpy...just about keeps the car from stalling...but somtimes it does conk out. So somtimes i must sit at the lights giving a small amount of Gas. This has started happening over the last 2 days....But intermitently!!!! It has been cold but iv'e run it in colder weather than this b4 :(

Another problem is ... (this has been like this since i got the car in october)..so i belive not to be related to the previous problem..But..If im on an open road and i plant my foot in .....the car feels quite sluggish untill it hits about 4000-5000 Rpm . .then it will kick in and deliver loads of power..till the...!!!After a while of driving i put my foot down again and it wont jolt into action but you can feel a defintate change from sluggish to Power at about the same 4000 rpm time ? ...
What could these problems be?
Carb?
fuel deivery?
Could the second problem be due to the vaccum advance jobby?
Help would be massivley appreciated !!!!!:) :)

Joe Richardson
14-01-10, 11:18 PM
check your spark plugs,sounds like it has a missfire,or you plugleads :)

Steve
14-01-10, 11:24 PM
That first bit is exactly what ive got with my micra, ive renewed all the ignition system besides the plugs but they look fine, it is well worth dropping it in at a decent garage to have the carb serviced/ tuned up.

kent14sr
15-01-10, 07:25 PM
I had same problem and it was the ignition timing . . I reset it and it sorted the problem.

But I also had a similar problem that was due to the auto choke not working correctly on the carb (1.4SR)

mowgli
15-01-10, 07:41 PM
choke, fuel pump, adv/retard mechanism, coil, loose wiring somewhere... unfortunately its down to checking everything till you find the culprit

jimbob-mcgrew
16-01-10, 01:14 AM
id say, bang some boscgh suyper 4;s in ythat mofo and tune t carb vcvarb and ignition up up, dont worry about cjoke, souds like is less enough idlinga t 500 god damn bizzatchh autcho chokeeezz, idle sxderc edwq bnacjkside ofgt he vabtr, need a long ass scrwedrive gyto get thru gth rheholes to adjustgc igt thyo.. arghhgh **** soz mateyhhjnk boy whiskyl,.muhbil

George g
16-01-10, 09:55 AM
id say, bang some boscgh suyper 4;s in ythat mofo and tune t carb vcvarb and ignition up up, dont worry about cjoke, souds like is less enough idlinga t 500 god damn bizzatchh autcho chokeeezz, idle sxderc edwq bnacjkside ofgt he vabtr, need a long ass scrwedrive gyto get thru gth rheholes to adjustgc igt thyo.. arghhgh **** soz mateyhhjnk boy whiskyl,.muhbil

Eh?

Matty

Have you changed the rotor arm? That might be a big part of the stuttering...

Count Vaux Alot
16-01-10, 10:23 AM
Auto choke on the carb has my vote - i had exactly the same problem with mine, i converted it to manual choke and it was fine. there are companies that sell the choke conversion kit on the net.

Matty Winslade
16-01-10, 11:44 AM
i have not checked the rotor arm yet..will have a go at reseting the ignition timing..how do i go about this.. i need a strobeascopic light dont i?? ...is it expensive to replace the carb choke? ..also im going to scrappy today... im gna have a go a swapping the advance retard unit on the distributor!!! BTW PPL ..MY NOVA IS THE ONE IN THE BUYERS GUIDE FEATURE IN TOTAL VAUXHALL THIS MONTH :) enjoy ....but anyway i'll have a tinker today and let you all know !!

jimbob-mcgrew
16-01-10, 12:58 PM

^ soz bout that, too much drink, it made sense at the time lol