PDA

View Full Version : xe low compression

w88rdy
14-01-10, 10:47 PM
Ive just bought a corsa xe project that has just had a rebuild by one of my friends including head work and 3 angle valves etc,I bought the car as a non runner because my friend had been laid off and didnt have the money to finish it, insure it or run it, basically i want to get it running and use the engine in my nova as its full of m tech goodies.

Ive just done the compression test on the xe engine and i didnt realise that you have to hold the throttle open so my readings where approx 75psi per cylinder,how much difference would the open throttle make? is it true you might have to drag the car to get the compression up? something to do with the new valves? hydraulic maybe so need to get the oil flowing?

Any help would be good:thumb:

nova_saloon
15-01-10, 12:53 AM
having the throttle body open all the way is critical and make sure you take all the spark plugs out and have a full battery then test it, just crank it till the needle stops moving

also if he has rebuilt the head, if he did not do it correctly, like lap the new valves in they will cause low compression, or the rings are shot, but probs not. all depends. the hydralics tappets wont effect the compression

Will F
15-01-10, 08:40 AM
As long as they are all with 5% ish of eachother dont worry about it.