PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to fit a horn

BigKahuna
31-03-03, 02:27 PM
The horn has been shagged on my nova since i got it and i tried to fit a new one at the weekend but had a small problem.

can anyone tell me where the horn wire enters the engine bay and what colour it is?

cheers.

ade
31-03-03, 04:30 PM
the horns located under the car at the front - flat disc - 2 wires- think black and brown. Mine comes in from the loom on the passenger side of the car and 2 wires branch off by the nearside light. I relocated mine to the bulkhead and picked up a loud low sounding horn from halfords for ?10. Easy

Ade

mikeoxford
31-03-03, 06:46 PM
its better to relocate your horns anyway

think of it this way

on factory fit alarms on rover metros, and ford mondeos (dont know off top of me head anymore)

well anyway

the alarm systems use the nomral horns, so all a thief need do is bend under car, disconnect the horn, and even if the alarm went off it wouldnt sound!

Chris LR
31-03-03, 07:15 PM
Big 24V horn right under the Grill, works very loudly

Nova-Boy
01-04-03, 10:32 AM
Fit two horns a low tone and high tone. Wire though a relay straight from battery using the negative trigger from your old horn system. Mount in your engine bay somewhere.

Get rid of the "excuse me" horn and get a GET OUT OF THE WAY horn!! :D

Thats what i did!

Dicko
01-04-03, 10:34 AM
***Big 24V horn right under the Grill, works very loudly***

and how does that work with all the car electrics runing on 12v?

kinda like having a fast car and driving it slow. pointless

frog_southampton
01-04-03, 12:55 PM
my cat was on the drive a while back, was tryin 2 get on the drive but i beeped my horn and even the cat wasnt scared!

it is just a stupid squeek! of a horn

PE4
01-04-03, 10:53 PM
Its true, I use my horn and it reminds me of the horn in the beetle in 'Herbie' movies! I have been looking for a beefy horn, didn't know Halfords did them, so will go and have a look :)

Neil.
02-04-03, 12:33 AM
so can u just replace the flat disc horn using those two wires with another one? or do u need to find the wires going into the car ect...?

mikeoxford
02-04-03, 01:30 AM
sure can neil

brown is earth

black is the live

Nova-Boy
02-04-03, 08:14 AM
As said b4. If you want a beefy horn there wont be much improvement by replacing just the standard one. You want TWO horns a low and high tone. Makes it more well sweet. To do this you need to use a relay. There is a twin horn pack at halford for ?15 that comes with the relay and wirning instructions ect.

Aragorn
02-04-03, 08:55 AM
so those ring electromag horns in halfords are good??

didnt wanna buy them and find it sounded shite

ive got a GTE loom in the shed and i took the twin horn relay wiring out the other day

just need the horns and some time :D

just don want it sounding like a chip van - me mate has some airhorns and thats what they sound like - if it was truck style deep sounding then fine - but his sounds like a mobile chip van :(

Nova-Boy
02-04-03, 09:23 AM
The Ring horns from halfords are the ones i had on my rally style nova. They are ok. High and low tone together makes a nice tone. Much better than standard but not air horns! Air horns are ok for truckers and cowboys not for a nova! The horns from halfords come with a relay. You have to makes sure you do them in parallel or they will sound like a dying dog!!

Wiggie
03-04-03, 12:16 PM
do lorrys run on 24 volt? if not i want 1a them!

Nova-Boy
03-04-03, 12:22 PM
I was following a lorry the other day and it has a sticker by the rear clusters saying warning 24V so i am assuming they are. Never even thought of it before that though!

Wiggie
03-04-03, 12:31 PM
...wouldnt be too hard to whack it up to 24 im shour...in fact i could get two!!!! and run em in series hehehe blow them cats out the way. mint!

wigz

mikeoxford
03-04-03, 03:05 PM
do lorrys run on 24 volt? if not i want 1a them!

yes they do

think of a puny 12v battery trying to churn a monster of an engine like that around.

Wiggie
03-04-03, 03:33 PM
...it aint volts that matter its amps and the reason it uses 24 is because of the very long chasis meaning less energy is lost. :P (just came out of science lesson)

Nova-Boy
03-04-03, 04:06 PM
....cos with larger voltage means less amps and less amps means smaller cross sestional area of copper conductor meaning cheaper lighter cable!! (just being an electrician) :D

Nova_Tek
03-04-03, 09:23 PM
Just switch your horn from da single crappy ones to ones off a cavalier, omega or vectra.

They called Wind Horns and they the ones that have a low and high tone.

Sounds much better.

Just try find em, I cant :(

mikeoxford
03-04-03, 09:53 PM
to be fair you can use any horn off a scrappy. as said you want something that looks like a horn or snail shell shape, not a round disk.

Nova-Boy
04-04-03, 12:15 AM
I am still all out for getting yourself down to halfords for two hi and low tone snail horns with crome caps and relay.

GSiLuvver
07-04-03, 06:24 PM
Trucks are 24v, plus their horns are massive!! The ones from Halfords are loud enough. I've only got a single one on mine and thats 10 times better than the standard one!!

mikeoxford
07-04-03, 07:35 PM
my horn came off today

god knows how. split in the centre of the bracket! dosent looked snapped though so i dont get it!

holding on by the wires for 100yds, it bounced repeatedly on floor, until wires gave way and the thing bounced between car and road until it shot 20ft up in the air behind the car!

LMFAO

was well funny. could hav been dangerous if there was a cae behind though!