PDA

View Full Version : Welding damaged stainless (Fab guys help please.)

Nick J
14-01-10, 12:51 PM
Hi all,

Does anybody on here work with stainless and welding? I recently acquired a heat shield Ive been after for a while however its been overtightened and has cracked around the bolts holes. If there is anyone on here who could repair this for me/point me in the direction of someone who can? It doesnt really matter what it looks like after as I will grind the weld back and use a high temp paint to finish it.

Thanks, Nick.

novaxe235
14-01-10, 01:08 PM
if your going to paint it anyway why not just mig weld it with mild steel wire.

Austin_Nova16
14-01-10, 01:14 PM
As siad ^^ Might as well mig it with normal wire.

If you want it polished up again, I may be able to help...

Nick J
14-01-10, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.....I was unsure if mig would work, but If it will thats something I can easily sort at work.

Austin, I could re polish it myself to be honest but I wanted to colour code it to go with some other buts Ive recently painted. But thank you for the offer.

cheers for the help.

Nick.

Mike
14-01-10, 04:51 PM
If my welding rig wasnt at Lee's I'd do for naff all Nick.

As said though, a simple MiG weld would fix it if your just painting over it. Sure one of the guys in your body shop at work would be able to do that if theyve got welding equipment?

philip
14-01-10, 04:56 PM
get a pic up, im sure if worse case i could prob tig it up in work

Matt Pickering
14-01-10, 05:00 PM
Nick, i'll tig weld it with stainless if you wanted??

Nick J
14-01-10, 05:05 PM
If my welding rig wasnt at Lee's I'd do for naff all Nick.

As said though, a simple MiG weld would fix it if your just painting over it. Sure one of the guys in your body shop at work would be able to do that if theyve got welding equipment?

Yes we have quite a few different welders for various metals Mike but we were not sure whether they were suitable for stainless as its not something any of us are used to working with tbh. Thanks though!

Matt.... I'll drop you a pm fella!

Thanks guys.

Nick.

Mike
14-01-10, 05:09 PM
Yes we have quite a few different welders for various metals Mike but we were not sure whether they were suitable for stainless as its not something any of us are used to working with tbh. Thanks though! .

Ah yeah, fair comment, very valid being as car panels aint stainless lol my stupidity there lol

shaun larnder
14-01-10, 07:16 PM
Tig would be a far neater weld imo, most stainless we do at work is Tig'ed.

Big_Chap
15-01-10, 12:18 AM
Welding it up with mild steel wire may result in Intergranular Corrosion

I'd say post it to a volunteer tig-er!

conad
15-01-10, 02:08 AM
Yes we have quite a few different welders for various metals Mike but we were not sure whether they were suitable for stainless as its not something any of us are used to working with tbh.

the welding process is exactly the same, but the feed wire (be it tig, mig, mma) really should match the material to be welded.