PDA

View Full Version : fake HPI report!!!

supernovaxe
13-01-10, 06:59 PM
i bought a supposed unrecorded 07 astra life from ebay last year, i contacted member on his number in the add. We made an out of ebay transaction, bought the car, picked it up, all good. the bloke handed me all paperwork including a hpi report that had come back clean, so i didnt expect anything until i decided to double check the car came back as a cat d, the incedent happened a couple of years ago. i compared the hpi report he gave me to one my friend had and it was clear to see it was a forged document! i contacted his number, nothing, so i went onto ebay a contacted the ebay shop that the car was advertised with, they say it was a customer of theirs and they were doing him a favour, they say they dont know his name or details, but the fake hpi report had a company name written on it that was very close to the name of the ebay shop. the car has now been repaired but is it worth me chasing this up, considering i probly lost 2 grand on sale price?

Rexy
13-01-10, 07:08 PM
not being too harsh mate, but its your own fault.

You should never rely on the prev owners paperwork tbh, always double check yourself.

L14MNP
13-01-10, 07:10 PM
IMO always perform your own HPI checks as the one a seller provides is not worth the paper it's written on.

The Cat D marker can be removed.

Spudly
13-01-10, 07:11 PM
If the HPI report is fake, then id be running everything else via the feds as the rest of the paperwork could be fake and you mightve bought a ringed motor there bud :eek:

ianglanister
13-01-10, 07:16 PM
Ye i agree with above statement. I work for the police and would advise nipping in to local station and asking can they do a PNC check on the vehicle.kjust explain the full situation and im sure they would be happy to help. did you check the chassis number to the one on the v5?

Mike
13-01-10, 07:18 PM
Sounds like some ones bought a ringer :S

AdamG
13-01-10, 07:19 PM
Who's shown as previous owner on the V5c?

RJM25R
13-01-10, 07:52 PM
Hpi is worthless unless you do it yourself!

Bobminda
13-01-10, 08:01 PM
If the HPI report is fake, then id be running everything else via the feds as the rest of the paperwork could be fake and you mightve bought a ringed motor there bud :eek:

Feds lol lol lol
That really made me laugh out loud for some reason !

On another note this is VERY good advice

L14MNP
13-01-10, 08:02 PM
I'm not the only one then? Spud always says feds. lol

Quality.

Spudly
13-01-10, 08:04 PM
Speaking of 'feds' BBC1 now lol

L14MNP
13-01-10, 08:10 PM
Not near telly :(. Listening to the barcodes give Plymouth a game. lolz

ianglanister
13-01-10, 08:13 PM
yes bb1 thats what im getting into crash scenes etc

Spudly
13-01-10, 08:15 PM
That Audi one is seriously bad sh*t :eek:

Mike
13-01-10, 08:39 PM
That Audi one is seriously bad sh*t :eek:

Dead theiving scum = Result IMO.

Spudly
13-01-10, 08:46 PM
Dead theiving scum = Result IMO.

I said the same thing aswell, its kinda wrong to say get the fcuk in you dozy scumbag but at least he wont be stealing anymore cars lol

supernovaxe
13-01-10, 08:56 PM
no not a ringer, checked numbers, ye my fault entirely but you live and learn, it was my first time buying a damaged car to repair so wont be making that mistake again, no worries, ill converse with the 'fedz' lol

Spudly
13-01-10, 08:58 PM
Id converse with the feds anyway bud as if its been ringed properly then all the numbers will match the documentation you have!

Ben
14-01-10, 09:12 AM
The Cat D marker can be removed.

Not without exporting registering abroad and then re importing into the uk.

Am i missing something but did you buy the car damaged??? If so then you really should of hpi'd it.

Sometimes a salvage dealer will sell the car before they are cleared for sale which is technically illegal but will show up as clear as yet to be catagorised.

L14MNP
14-01-10, 11:37 AM
I'll take your word on this Ben as you have a lot more experience in this area than me.

I once heard that you can repair a write-off. maybe it was Cat C and have it declared 'Condition cleared' or something like that. The more I think about it it was for Cat C as it could only be applied for after a VIC check.

Sound familiar/slightly plausible?

Stuart
14-01-10, 11:54 AM
to be honest, with the cost of repairs for most cars these days nearly everything gets cat C/D'd so I really doubt youve lost "that much"

plus as you agreed outside of ebay etc then it really is your own tough shizzle.

Richie_B
14-01-10, 01:17 PM
Agree that ebay won't be able to do anything with is fair enough, really.

Shame that it's happened but guess it's a lesson learnt about not trusting the sellers and with any joy you haven't lost too much when it comes to selling if it's a good few years old anyway.

Ben
14-01-10, 04:14 PM
I'll take your word on this Ben as you have a lot more experience in this area than me.

I once heard that you can repair a write-off. maybe it was Cat C and have it declared 'Condition cleared' or something like that. The more I think about it it was for Cat C as it could only be applied for after a VIC check.

Sound familiar/slightly plausible?

No the main difference between a c and d is that the c needs a vic and will then state that on the logbook for life, and trust me there is nowt you can do to get the bugger off,

The D's dont show on the logbook but will forever be a marker against it, only way of removing either is to get the insurance company to reclassify it, but this very rarely happens and if it does it usually only for B's (break only) to be downgraded to a c or d, very difficult and expensive though.

L14MNP
14-01-10, 04:16 PM
(Y) I know the difference between the Cats. I made myself sound a right n00b there - always when you're around. lol

Cheers man.

supernovaxe
14-01-10, 10:34 PM
cat d, c, or not it was still worth it for the expierience, its a 57 plate astra , 20k , 1.6 auto life, 17's, blue etc. total cost for me after repair 3k so i dont think ill do to bad.... anyone wanna new carlol

16v Nova Kev
14-01-10, 10:36 PM
i would not worry about a cat d if it was a c maybe

Ben
15-01-10, 09:34 AM
i would not worry about a cat d if it was a c maybe

The amount of damage does not really make much issue its more about the value of the car, if its nigh on brand new or high value they try to cat d (or cat x) them as the salvage resale is much higher.

example cat d (http://www.dhales.co.uk/viewauction.aspx?ITEM=1D5C380F46AF)

example cat c (http://www.dhales.co.uk/viewauction.aspx?ITEM=451EB0C69279)

Stuart
15-01-10, 09:41 AM
1.6 auto...... tbh thats lost all its value immedately lol

supernovaxe
15-01-10, 09:11 PM
i dont know if you sell cars fella ,but autos sell much better than manuals

16v Nova Kev
15-01-10, 09:20 PM
The amount of damage does not really make much issue its more about the value of the car, if its nigh on brand new or high value they try to cat d (or cat x) them as the salvage resale is much higher.

example cat d (http://www.dhales.co.uk/viewauction.aspx?ITEM=1D5C380F46AF)

example cat c (http://www.dhales.co.uk/viewauction.aspx?ITEM=451EB0C69279)

i work in a body shop and me and the boss buy cat/c/d cars to fix and sell on mostly focus and fiesta. we tell the people what cat they were and most folk dont mind tbh