PDA

View Full Version : You got to read this!

ade
30-03-03, 09:42 PM
OK,

I had a 1.4 engine fitted in Jan - didnt drive the car all Feb (honeymoon) but when starting to drive it again noticed smoke when slowing down. Took it back and valve stem oil seals were done, valves reseated, headgasket changed and new cam belt/timing done. the carb was also stripped and rebuilt. Not bad for ?160

Picked the car up and it didnt feel right - flat spots when accelerating (had to dip clutch to rise revs!) - had planned to take car back to garage Monday (ie tomorrow) BUT...

Driving today to meet a m8 and then to go to a scrappy with Aragorn, averaging about 75mph on the motorway and my engine pops and dies on me. Roll over to hard shoulder and it wouldnt turn

AA come out and the guy says the following (I told him the work just done above)...

"fooking hell m8 looks like ewither the cam shafts split, or the cam sprockets come off the cam shaft, either way the rockers are all smashed"

I ask what thats gonna mean to the engine - he says - "start looking for a new one or prey the bits aint gone into the bores"

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sick of this

Ironically my missus said once we move I should get a more "reliable" car - starting to think shes right - sick of throwing good money after bad.

Anyway - anyone know what kind of damage I can expect (Aragorn/Micky reckon Cam locating pin snapped)

:(

Ade

mel1
30-03-03, 09:58 PM
maybe thay set the valve timing wrong who knows seen it done on a vaux cav still runs but very lumpy,but never heard one going that bad, getting a bit sick ov nova's to still good fun when they go right

Fester
30-03-03, 10:06 PM
ade m8, your car is mint, theres too much effort gone into it just to fuck it off because one greasy arsed twat of a mechanic has messed up

aragorn is fitting the GTE head, and has been researching GTE stuff, maybe you can team up, do the decent thing and fit a 1600i

you know you want to :)

anyway, if you buy a mondeo for ?6k, then sell it a few years later for ?3k, youve lost ?3k, may as well spend ?3k on a nova, get the enjoyment of owning something like yours (it IS mint) and sell it for some back later, and have something that youve put so much into, rather than 'just another car'

you know you want to :)

mikeoxford
30-03-03, 10:08 PM
ade mate dont loose heart

u know the problems i been having.

this is the garages fault again for the sh!t engine they supplied you in the first place.

you, unfortunately, like me, have had things go wrong on more than one occasions one after the other, u just gotta deal with it and try and try again. dont admit defeat.

to be fair it depends how lucky you have been, i would say all the damage will be top end, and not bottom end / pistons etc.

still means all that work gotta be done again.

just have a right old moan at the garage, as they seem to be monkeys from what you tell us.

mel1
30-03-03, 10:12 PM
you could be looking at bent valves or hole in pistons depends how far up the bore the pistons where when in happend but done'nt quote me on that just a guess

ade
30-03-03, 10:19 PM
yeah - thats what Aragorn reckons ref head damage.

Ah well - will take it back tomorrow and see wot the mechanic says - either way hes fixing it for nowt.

Even if the engine was second hand you can tell by soimply driving when summut dont sound/feel right - next time I get it back I'm taking it for a test drive 1st then we'll fooking see whether it "runs sweet as a nut!"

:evil:

jim sri
30-03-03, 10:26 PM
do we sense a valver conversion coming on ade!? you know you want to!+if you're gonna go to the bother of removing your engine etc, you may aswell drop in a 2 litre while you're at it. :lol:

ade
31-03-03, 12:39 AM
lol m8 - I dunno enuff about fitting valvers etc

All I want at the mo is my 1.4 supposed new engine working so I canb get to work and back without having to use the missus car!

I just ant the mechanic to fix it properly

whitey
31-03-03, 01:01 AM
Speak to Ste then!! Im sure you can come to an arrangement!!

Gutted for you though mate! I get like that when u spend hours doing something only for it to look wrong or snap or something!! :x

At the end of the day, it is ONLY money and a car! You get pleasure (Eventually) for what you do to it! SO i say stick with it!

DEE'S NOVA
31-03-03, 10:21 AM
ahh poor guy!! u can't lose intrest now after coming up to meet me yesterday and convincing me to keep going so stick in at it :wink:

and i poped down to see it but could find it to have a look was it where dougie parks his car?

ade
31-03-03, 10:30 AM
I'm gonna stick with it, I just find that the probs I have with the car come like busses - non for ages then 3 or 4 all at once!!!

Tommy - it was parked in Finnart Street outside the garage by the college - red with momo sticker under each wing mirror. Doug parks his car outside his house. The Black one is at the jet wash garage.

Gonna head over to the garage in the next hour to see what he can do for me.

Willing to give him ?200 more on top of the ?600 already had to fit me a 1.6 or summut similar.

Either way I want 12 months guarantee for parts and labour.

I'll let you know what he says...

Ade

DEE'S NOVA
31-03-03, 10:38 AM
o i thought it was on mount pleasant ah well take a run by it to day and who done the work on it ade?

jatinder
31-03-03, 01:35 PM
stick with it mate im feeling the same way as u bout my nova, as its too old but wot fester said about losing money, seems right i wanna get a 1.6 16v over the summer, think about when its finished you will feel a lot better then :)

Chris LR
31-03-03, 03:56 PM
I know how you feel....

I'm selling my Nova to a m8....

I think he's gonna strip it, sell parts then banger race it, hope he doesn't tho.

ade
31-03-03, 04:24 PM
decided to perservere - seen a 1.4 sr engine with webbers and 5 speed box for sale up by me - engine can be heard running too so should be ok.

Worth the asking price just for the webbers.

Mechanic who worked on it last aint back in till tomorrowe (Tuesday) so will update you then - spoke to the owner of the garage who leases part of it to him and he reckoned there wasnt much I could do coz by the sounds of it the failure could have happened at any time and may not be linked to the recent work done!!! :evil:

Need to wait and see what the guy who did it says - I;d be happy just getting anopther engine and seeing if he will fit it considering the amopunt of hastle I've had! the least he can do in my opinion

Ade

Aragorn
31-03-03, 07:38 PM
twin 40's or 32/34?

mikeoxford
31-03-03, 07:39 PM
40s by the sound of it

brian
31-03-03, 07:53 PM
Know how ya feel ade. we've all been there. Nothin more depressing than coasting to a halt on the side of the road :cry: :o :roll:
I never had any look with 1.4 carb engines, messes with two and never ran right. Eventually(after wasting many cold winter evenings) i fucked it out and went for 1600 mpi.