PDA

View Full Version : Buying a mig welder info wanted

Annie
12-01-10, 11:52 PM
Hey,

my bf is looking at buying a mig welder, The old nova needs a fair bit of welding as been used as an everyday car for 2 years now its starting to show. n/s inner rear wheel arch, Front cross member & inner wings, Been quoted £250 lol. Mig welders start at £200 so thought it would be better to buy one. Have been looking at a Clarke MIG Welder 135TE Turbo £225 inc delv.

Have looked at the welding guide on here, Very helpful :)

Does anyone else have this model, Any good? Thanks

bmw156
13-01-10, 12:01 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEALEY-130-AMP-130AMP-MIG-WELDER-S0771-NO-RODS-FREEPOST_W0QQitemZ350301806342QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item518f9d5f06

i got something very simular to that.

a few general rules. get gas and make sure it has turbo cooling ( forced air cooling) of what ever they call it lol. i have never had any problems, other being inexperianced. it welds body panels with easy. and easily blows through them.

and get a automatic welding mask, they are so good lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/slegen-power-portable-mig-welder-130amp_W0QQitemZ270511455230QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_3?hash=item3efbbd3bfe
same welder, and a bargin price

sri888
13-01-10, 12:12 AM
hi thier if your gunna buy a welder..... make sure u get a decent 1 :thumb: this helps alot when welding with more varible settings;)

also make sure will u power feed from yr etc will b able too run the welder :roll:

ive got a 195 turbo an that's realy good.... got the power direct in from the mains :d no fuse lol lol

an make sure u can get some 1 who can supply u gas:)

sealey are good welder's an sip:thumb:

brainsnova
13-01-10, 12:23 AM
i found this vid for a how to weld and its a good help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJrBxABswjs

Annie
13-01-10, 12:43 AM
Thanks for info.

Its a mig for newbies I think, diy & body repairs

spec:
Clarke MIG Welder 135TE turbo
Power settings from 30 to 130amps. Welds mild steel up to 5mm thick.
Turbo fan cooling for improved duty cycle & transformer life.
Uses 0.6 and 0.8mm wire up to 5kg spool.
Fully variable electronic wire speed control.
Operates from 230v, single phase power supply.
Thermal overload protection with auto reset.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/library/product/large/01/010110135.jpg

I've just ordered it, Gonna try & learn to weld should be fun lol

Connor
13-01-10, 02:21 AM
i found this vid for a how to weld and its a good help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJrBxABswjs

really good video :thumb:
did a welding module at college,
but think i learnt more about how the welders work
and the techniques in that short video

+rep

BRoadGhost
13-01-10, 10:21 AM
Yeah that IS a very good video that explains pretty much every aspect you MUST UNDERSTAND to get the best results; even down to the slightest thing that can screw a weld such as the torch cable not being perfectly at rest in the most natural curve possible [affecting expected spool].

TBH if it were me I'ud find a good 150 on wheels cheap 2nd hand so you can use a decent bottle & sit it on that.

Oh and make sure it has a proper "euro torch" as the cheap **** shown above WILL NOT BE LONG ENOUGH.

GRUNT 16V
13-01-10, 10:38 AM
Thanks for info.

Its a mig for newbies I think, diy & body repairs

spec:
Clarke MIG Welder 135TE turbo
Power settings from 30 to 130amps. Welds mild steel up to 5mm thick.
Turbo fan cooling for improved duty cycle & transformer life.
Uses 0.6 and 0.8mm wire up to 5kg spool.
Fully variable electronic wire speed control.
Operates from 230v, single phase power supply.
Thermal overload protection with auto reset.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/library/product/large/01/010110135.jpg

I've just ordered it, Gonna try & learn to weld should be fun lol
i have one of these !!! good bit of kit never had a prob with it

joff-turbo-nova
13-01-10, 02:24 PM
Make sure you use it with the gas system as its loads easier welding with a gas shroud than the gasless wire.

Top tip - either have lots of metal to practice on or what I did, go and sign up on a night school course for a term or two which then gets you lots of practice and playing on other equipment and you also have tutors on hand to show you where you're going wrong lol !

Joff

Southie
13-01-10, 02:33 PM
Tips on how to weld here CLICKY (http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm) :thumb:

craig green
13-01-10, 02:36 PM
www.migwelding.co.uk

Southie
13-01-10, 03:05 PM
www.migwelding.co.uk (http://www.migwelding.co.uk/) Not right Craig.

Tips on how to weld here CLICKY (http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm) :thumb:
;)

Mike
13-01-10, 06:12 PM
Auto mask is sooooo much easier IMO. Espcially if your working in cramped conditions (under a car for example)

For gas, ive found best argon/co2 mix for sheet mild steel & co2 for galvanised steel work (not that youll need that owning a nova lol lol)

Once youve picked up the basics, its pish easy, just remember to always get a good earth point as you get a better Arc.

L14MNP
13-01-10, 07:37 PM
I've got the Clarke 175a and have a bit of trouble with the wire feed jamming on occasion.

TBH it's seen a lot of use and is about 3 year old now. Time to bin the euro torch crap and fit the proper one. :)

Dunno if it's been said, but don't buy hobbie bottles of c02. Get a pub bottle FTW.

16v Nova Kev
13-01-10, 07:48 PM
Hey,

my bf is looking at buying a mig welder, The old nova needs a fair bit of welding as been used as an everyday car for 2 years now its starting to show. n/s inner rear wheel arch, Front cross member & inner wings, Been quoted £250 lol. Mig welders start at £200 so thought it would be better to buy one. Have been looking at a Clarke MIG Welder 135TE Turbo £225 inc delv.

Have looked at the welding guide on here, Very helpful :)

Does anyone else have this model, Any good? Thanks

250 is a not bad price imo.

Mike
13-01-10, 07:50 PM
Dunno if it's been said, but don't buy hobbie bottles of c02. Get a pub bottle FTW.

Gotta agree, ALTHO me & Lee managed to weld to halfs of two different Nova's together using 3/4 of one diposible bottle.

L14MNP
13-01-10, 07:51 PM
Yeah, sometimes they last a while. Weld anything thicker than the sheet steel a Nova is cobbled together from and it won't last long IME.

Mike
13-01-10, 07:54 PM
Yeah, sometimes they last a while. Weld anything thicker than the sheet steel a Nova is cobbled together from and it won't last long IME.

True lol very true infact. Welding harness/door bars etc to cages with them it'll go quick time.

L14MNP
13-01-10, 07:59 PM
I bet lol I need to get some CDS and make a cage for my Nissan. It's god damned cold in the garage ATM though!

Mike
13-01-10, 08:02 PM
I bet lol I need to get some CDS and make a cage for my Nissan. It's god damned cold in the garage ATM though!

Just checked my favourites for you but Ive deleted the linnk :( used to have a wicked link to a company that sold it in 3m lengths delivered for about £28 including the dreaded.

L14MNP
13-01-10, 08:08 PM
NP dude. Cheers though. Think I have one saved of a place in Leeds, delivery is the same whether you order one length or 10. I want 50mm dia. too lol

Plug
13-01-10, 08:09 PM
hi thier if your gunna buy a welder..... make sure u get a decent 1 :thumb: this helps alot when welding with more varible settings;)

also make sure will u power feed from yr etc will b able too run the welder :roll:

ive got a 195 turbo an that's realy good.... got the power direct in from the mains :d no fuse lol lol

an make sure u can get some 1 who can supply u gas:)

sealey are good welder's an sip:thumb:

the most stupid thing ive heard in my life the mcbs are there for a reason you know all you need is a C type Mcb.

Annie
13-01-10, 09:28 PM
Thanks for info, It arrived today, Only ordered it last nite.
going to have a play on the weekend, Got an old nova door & bootlid to pratice on. Will post some pics up of my 1st welds for you to laugh at lol.

joff-turbo-nova
13-01-10, 09:38 PM
Thanks for info, It arrived today, Only ordered it last nite.
going to have a play on the weekend, Got an old nova door & bootlid to pratice on. Will post some pics up of my 1st welds for you to laugh at lol.

Start with low power and a medium wire speed - slowly ramp up the speed until it starts pushing the torch back and then knock it back a bit and that should give you a good weld.

If you then crank up the power you will need to increase the wire speed to compensate for more larger welds. On car panels you won't be able to move it up much on the power before it starts blowing holes in the panels.

If you have some thicker metal you should be able to crank it up further.

Take your time and practice (lots!)

Joff

Annie
13-01-10, 09:42 PM
Been told to hold it at 45 degree angle, 5mm above surface, Power setting 1 for car panels & wire feed around 6, Start the arc until a small pool forms then keep it going with small zigzags.

Mike
13-01-10, 09:51 PM
Dunno about the 5mm thing, i just brace/rest the end of the torch with/on my thumb & finger next to it (left hand) an have my remaining 3 fingers on the workpeice & just rotate the torch with my right hand.

Sound dangerous but meh im still alive lol