PDA

View Full Version : The whoops challenge!

Jon_nova1
11-01-10, 10:08 PM
So the topic of conversation in work today was...

"those people in asda that have a trolley full of whoops items"

And being me i thought of an awesome challenge

offer to make someone a meal, the only items you can use are the items found in the whoops section on the day, if someone figures you've blatantly only used reduced items you lose

I was going to offer to make my mum and her other half a meal, but i text my mum and it turns out she's in work till 8AM tomorrow, and unfortunately i had to tell her why, because she would have rang me if i didn't answer thinking i'd crashed my car/burned down the house/in police custody, apparently she would have been grateful, i did tell her i don't think she'd be as grateful when we all had an un-buttered baguette, a chicken leg and a doughnut each, but nevermind

L14MNP
11-01-10, 10:13 PM
The term I prefer is 'The ghetto shelf/basket'

Some fine breaded items to be had at the right times lol.

Nice plan. lol

Jon_nova1
11-01-10, 10:17 PM
The ghetto shelf, i like it lol

mowgli
11-01-10, 10:21 PM
morrisons hinckley at 8am on a saturday has the best curry selection for little money......

asda fosse park leicester has a group of professional scavengers who are always there when i get dragged along.... I mean why would anyone want a chinese gooseberry?????? let alone one that has been felt up by everyone who once read a jamie oliver cook book & can't remember what they should stick on top of the desert that should get them a definite shag, and is now up for 10p

L14MNP
11-01-10, 10:24 PM
At least those that frequent the bargain basement have a small amount of dignity - probably purchased at a car boot sale, unlike the 'freegans' that are nothing more than glorified bin dippers. lol

Jack
11-01-10, 11:34 PM
Grr, my sister has a habit of cleaning out the most random sh!t on that shelf (southern fried chinese spam fritters anyone?) then plonking it in the fridge or freezer and leaving it there forever. Or until it starts to eat itself.

Amusing anecdote, guy I sit next to at work is the kinda guy who never eats in date food, never pays full price etc. Apparently he loaded up his trolley in the supermarchét once from the ghetto section then went off to pick something off a shelf; only to return and find a shelf stacker was replenishing the ghetto shelf from his trolley, thinking they were all the items to go on it lol

George g
12-01-10, 05:23 PM
i saw "battered cheese and bacon fritters" in the ghetto bin... who would want reformed bacon with processed cheese and covered in batter???

7pm morrisons weekdays or 3pm sundys = brilliant for cheap chickens & pastry products!!!!!! :win:

draper
12-01-10, 05:27 PM
they had joints of beef and proper meat cuts in the tesco near me today, couldnt believe it !!

MK999
12-01-10, 05:33 PM
i saw "battered cheese and bacon fritters" in the ghetto bin... who would want reformed bacon with processed cheese and covered in batter???

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object2/731/115/n5603908211_5702.jpg

110% win.

edit: minus the shrubbery that someone seems to have lost on the plate.

blue_peg_16v
12-01-10, 05:40 PM
looks like something has been regurgitated on your plate

Richie_B
12-01-10, 06:51 PM
lol Nice idea. I think you can sometimes buy some alright whoops stuffs though tbf.

Why'd you tell your mother you were going to make her a whoops meal and not just do it another time?

L14MNP
12-01-10, 06:57 PM
Whoops cake for 30p was the best I ever acquired. lol

Big fcuk off birthday deal.

MK999
12-01-10, 06:57 PM
looks like something has been regurgitated on your plate

Tastes quality though, like all bernard matthews stuff, made of questionable stuff and e numbers but it's a tasty way to die slowly lol

Richie_B
12-01-10, 07:01 PM
Whoops cake for 30p was the best I ever acquired. lol

Big fcuk off birthday deal.

Nice effort. But must've been as dry as Gandhi's flipflop?

L14MNP
12-01-10, 07:09 PM
Nice effort. But must've been as dry as Gandhi's flipflop?
Nah was a couple of weeks before xmas mate. Still in date by about a day.
GosDA FTW.

Richie_B
12-01-10, 07:44 PM
Nah was a couple of weeks before xmas mate. Still in date by about a day.
GosDA FTW.

WHY DIDN'T YOU INVITE ME MATE

L14MNP
12-01-10, 07:53 PM
Hockey :k

Richie_B
12-01-10, 08:20 PM
lol

You could come

L14MNP
12-01-10, 08:21 PM
Nfi :(

Richie_B
12-01-10, 08:48 PM
Lies :(

Jon_nova1
12-01-10, 10:44 PM
Because im the worlds crappest liar and if i didn't give her a reason for asking her, being me, she'd assume something bad had happened lol

Sloth
12-01-10, 10:49 PM
i actually shop in the whoops bit, its quite good at ours a s the asda and teggos are huge. bread loafs fo 10p are mint, as , freezethem and when you thaw em out you still have a day to eat it. win.

Richie_B
12-01-10, 11:51 PM
You'd have to have loads of sandwiches to use a loaf in a day.

Spudly
12-01-10, 11:54 PM
You dont have to use it in a day though, they dont instantly go mouldy as soon as the date is up, that just means it wont quite be as nice and soft as it wouldve been a day or two earlier.

L14MNP
12-01-10, 11:56 PM
Means toast for the end of the loaf lol

Spudly
12-01-10, 11:58 PM
Means toast for the end of the loaf lol

Exactly, someone who knows how to maximise foodstuffs useability:thumb:

Curtoise
13-01-10, 12:03 AM
lmao, in our tesco's they have a hot fresh deli counter that does chickens and other mega nice stuff,

when i finish my work there at 8 its all 75% reduced, so i can get 10 chicken nugget things for 30p! and a whole roast chicken for 50p annnnd roast potatoes for 10p!!! bargain, can have a full sunday roast with that lol for under 3£!

Sloth
13-01-10, 12:43 PM
spud, you can tell were all a bit northern on this thread.

Rysee
13-01-10, 12:57 PM
spud, you can tell were all a bit northern on this thread.
I have no excuse it's just called being tight if you live south of stoke

bmw156
13-01-10, 09:24 PM
i used to work in morrisons, and some of the people are crazy for reductions.

we used to reduce like 2 hours befor closing, a very small amount. and then gradually going down until closed. about 30 mins befor shutting is the best time lol

and my mate. he will go in. pick up some good stuff which is reduced a small bit, walk to the mag isle, read a car mag for free. and then go back and put his goodies back on the trolley to be reduced again! tight bugger lol

L14MNP
13-01-10, 09:26 PM
lol. Guess he doesn't read Max Power then.

Jon_nova1
13-01-10, 09:50 PM
lol 4 pages of whoops related things lol I don't think the death of Micheal jackson was bigger than this lol

think i'll be stealing some of these ideas though!