PDA

View Full Version : Nova XE problems!

Damo
11-01-10, 02:35 PM
Right fitted the XE finally plumbed all pipes an exhaust in an wired it up as follows. Car was 1.2spi previously.

red/blue fuel pump wire wired to my old feed to my old relay under bonnet for now.

Permanent live to the battery.

Igniition live to the old coil igniiton live again for now.

So with everything wired up it started but cut straight back out i tried a second time and same again. If you unplug the airflow meter it will stay running but with a very lumpy tickover but then when you plug the afm back in it dies and you have to keep blipping throttle to keep it running. Also if you blip it hard then go to blip it again straight after it backfires really loud ive bought a new airflow meter but still the same problems persist have you guys got any ideas as its really baffleing me now.

sorry for the essay it was the only way i could explain it.

Damo.:cry:

craig green
11-01-10, 04:07 PM
Get the EML light wired in. Then you can flash off any codes, from my understanding also, the fuel pump relay should be part of the XE loom. So the live from the relay should be extended & wired to your pump, avoiding the old wiring.

Damo
11-01-10, 04:19 PM
Get the EML light wired in. Then you can flash off any codes, from my understanding also, the fuel pump relay should be part of the XE loom. So the live from the relay should be extended & wired to your pump, avoiding the old wiring.

Cheers craig but would my old wire not be run straight to the pump from my old relay.

*Dave*
11-01-10, 07:08 PM
make sure all earths are good especially the earths on the loom that bolt to the fuel rail.

Damo
11-01-10, 09:15 PM
make sure all earths are good especially the earths on the loom that bolt to the fuel rail.

Could this cause the problem i have then dave.

avon1
11-01-10, 09:17 PM
AFM is faulty. i had the same problem, unplug the AFM and squeeze the rubber ICV pipe if it runs better its the AFM

Damo
11-01-10, 09:24 PM
AFM is faulty. i had the same problem, unplug the AFM and squeeze the rubber ICV pipe if it runs better its the AFM

Just replaced the AFM mate with one i bought off a well known member one here bud but still have the same problem it will run but have to keep blipping accelerator pedal and it backfires also wilst blipping but if its unpluged it will idle but lumpy but rev ok.:tard:

Damo
11-01-10, 09:53 PM
But also i havent got a gearbox earth on at the moment would this cause any problems. And also the alternator has no earth from block to adjuster as ive had to make a temp metal bracket up for it for now.:tard:

Damo.

Damo
11-01-10, 10:34 PM
Anyone else have any more ideas somebody must have had this problem before.

craig green
11-01-10, 10:54 PM
Yes you need to earth the box to the chassis leg, properly.

People may have suffered these issues, in which case using the search function will reap the answers you seek. Without pics or proper explanation, we cant really fix your car for you over the internet.

Damo
11-01-10, 11:03 PM
Yes you need to earth the box to the chassis leg, properly.

People may have suffered these issues, in which case using the search function will reap the answers you seek. Without pics or proper explanation, we cant really fix your car for you over the internet.

Ok craig will try the earth tomorrow an see just getting frustrated with it thats all bud.

craig green
11-01-10, 11:04 PM
I know, but you have to be mechanically minded to build these things & not just hope for the best.

Damo
11-01-10, 11:11 PM
I know, but you have to be mechanically minded to build these things & not just hope for the best.

I know im a mechanic by trade but just carnt get my head round niggly little things like this lol.

Damo
12-01-10, 04:37 PM
Right sorted the cutting out now the reason it was cutting out was because i hadnt connected the icv pipe to the SFI box lol. Now though it idles a bit irratic but at around 1200-15-1600 rpm i can only quess at this as i dont have a rev counter working because i dont know how to wire it up.

If any of you guys got any other suggestions let me know please.

Damo.

craig green
12-01-10, 04:41 PM
Rev counter wire is a Green from the engine loom. (connect to back of rev counter).

Try removing the ICV & cleaning it out with carb or brake cleaner, then lube it ever so slightly with a light oil so it doesnt seize or stick. A common problem is to swap the ICV & knock sensor loom plugs. Knock sensor has a Red plug in most cases IIRC.

Damo
12-01-10, 07:08 PM
Rev counter wire is a Green from the engine loom. (connect to back of rev counter).

Try removing the ICV & cleaning it out with carb or brake cleaner, then lube it ever so slightly with a light oil so it doesnt seize or stick. A common problem is to swap the ICV & knock sensor loom plugs. Knock sensor has a Red plug in most cases IIRC.

Ive checked the plugs craig there the right way round red to knock black to ICV. Gonna take ICV off tomorrow and clean it out and try that.

Also the rev counter wire is connected to the dash but not connected to the coil as theres no connection there to plug it into so where would i connect it to.

Damo.