PDA

View Full Version : burning oil?

novajimgte
11-01-10, 02:47 AM
my nova gte 8v burns 5L of oil in 1 and a half weeks.
whats going on can any 1 help me please?

napalm_27
11-01-10, 02:50 AM
you have some issues there mate
oil is leaking into the cylinders some how if its burning it up
or you have a leak some were

novajimgte
11-01-10, 03:13 AM
iv checked for leaks and i cant find any.
could it be the rings or valve stem sills?

napalm_27
11-01-10, 03:14 AM
very likely if its got a burning smell and plumes of blue smoke on load
rings will show signs of lack of compression i.e hard to start down on power etc

Will F
11-01-10, 08:44 AM
To burn 5 litres in a week ish it would need to be blowing LOADS of blue smoke!

If this is true and it has no leaks - I am surprised it runs it will be both rings and stem seals at least! lol

brake-dust
11-01-10, 09:59 AM
what oil are you using mate?

novaxe235
11-01-10, 10:57 AM
what oil are you using mate?The cheapest he can get his hands on if its burning that much.

dougie_boi
11-01-10, 11:19 AM
sounds like its had a hard life tbh the head would need to come off and inspect a few things like bores rings etc

brake-dust
11-01-10, 11:23 AM
The cheapest he can get his hands on if its burning that much.

cheap **** is better on a old engine, need to be using something like a 15w/40, doesnt need to be branded, use any fine grade of oil and it'll piss it away

novajimgte
11-01-10, 04:12 PM
lol oh yes the cheapest i can find 6 pound for 5l in wilko. and yes you shoud see the smoke that comes out of it, and yes its had a very hard life since i bought it i bet it misses the days when she was in a garage on carpet lol. iv had the head of for a head gasket but that didnt help and i dont recon i got the balls to take out the con rods and pistons i love it to much and i dont want to kill it all together. but if thats wat i got to do?

dougie_boi
11-01-10, 04:17 PM
easiest way would be to just change the engine tbh you could pick one up for around £100

Guderian
11-01-10, 05:13 PM
Agree. Takes 5 times as much of your precious time to rebuild an engine than it does to simply drop in another one.

That is some terminally heavy drink problem you have there, it is highly likely one of pistons has started to break up, or has overheated and picked up in the bore. Until you have another car/engine sorted out you might mitigate the oil usage by keeping the revs down. But it is getting to the point where the spark plugs are not going to tolerate it for very long.

novajimgte
11-01-10, 06:07 PM
oh its alot worse than wat i thought then if im going to chuck another engine in i might as well do some thing good then. btw how much could i pick up a 2l turb for out of interest i never see them for sale. always just the red top.

w88rdy
11-01-10, 07:13 PM
wave goodbye to at least £1600 for a good c20 let engine thats before you start uprating everything else to cope with the power.