PDA

View Full Version : things you believed as a child.......

mowgli
11-01-10, 12:05 AM
Now, what I'm expecting from you good people is those things you believed were true, or your siblings or parents convinced you of as a child, that only in later life you found to be complete cobblers.....

criteria (read carefully)
1. no 'the icecream van bell rings when its empty to let them know at the depot' type stuff that came off comedy shows
2. no mention of alleged nova facts, or any other vehicle ones
3. nothing remotely sexual. I want to keep this thread within the scope of the innocence of youth.
4. neg rep will be applied to anyone who breaks rules 1-3

to get you started.....

I really believed that:

1. helium balloons keep going up into space. aged 6
2. the clanger planet is real.... aged 4
3. there was a big earth mound in a field near my home & there was a buried viking longboat in it with treasure etc.. (aged 8) (I lived 75 miles from the sea in any direction & on top of a big hill)
4. there was a volcano at Nuneaton see photo.. (Aged 7) it was a spoil heap from a disused quarry
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HdHGWL9fHvQ/SxrIbmTPN_I/AAAAAAAAAZg/p1mwg72virw/s320/IMG_2229.JPG

blue_peg_16v
11-01-10, 12:10 AM
lol

i found an old knife on some waste land when a kid and was convinced it was roman, wed just learnt about them at school lol

nova_saloon
11-01-10, 12:10 AM
that teddy bears would get up and walk around when i was asleep aged 4 or there about
and the obvious santa easter bunny and the tooth fairy

blue_peg_16v
11-01-10, 12:11 AM
that teddy bears would get up and walk around when i was asleep aged 4 or there about

santa and easter bunny are real lol

mowgli
11-01-10, 12:12 AM

those three sods are alive & well in my house..................I just pay for them

nova_saloon
11-01-10, 12:12 AM
lol

Nova_Sean
11-01-10, 12:15 AM
Theirs little people with torches in traffic lights lol

nova_saloon
11-01-10, 12:15 AM

lmao nioce :thumb:

blue_peg_16v
11-01-10, 12:16 AM

awsome

blue_peg_16v
11-01-10, 12:16 AM
babys come from storks like in dumbo

mowgli
11-01-10, 12:18 AM
babys come from storks like in dumbo

if only.........

brainsnova
11-01-10, 12:19 AM

same ones in supermarket scanners

brake-dust
11-01-10, 12:24 AM
a little man runs under the pavement pulling a bathroom like cord to turn the street lights on lol

Jack
11-01-10, 12:25 AM
There was (probably still is) rumours of there being a witches grave just outside of Yeovil. I recall when I was younger EVERYONE believed it.

I've been there since, its merely a "private" estate graveyard. Unfortunately its been heavily vandalized :(

Hayley
11-01-10, 12:29 AM
I used to live in a village at the end of one of Heathrows runways and I used to think the planes just went in the air and kinda hovered while the earth moved underneath them until it was at the country that the plane wanted to land at. :roll:

mowgli
11-01-10, 12:30 AM
I used to live in a village at the end of one of Heathrows runways and I used to think the planes just went in the air and kinda hovered while the earth moved underneath them until it was at the country that the plane wanted to land at. :roll:

don't they?????

nova_saloon
11-01-10, 12:33 AM
don't they?????

ha... very good there is that theory called the Galilean relativity

mowgli
11-01-10, 12:35 AM
ha... very good there is that theory called the Galilean relativity

we're not here to disprove childhood beliefs, simply to report & then rip the piss out of them

nova_saloon
11-01-10, 12:36 AM
okay sir

Nova_Sean
11-01-10, 12:37 AM
a little man runs under the pavement pulling a bathroom like cord to turn the street lights on lol

lol. Nice one!

CoolTiger
11-01-10, 01:00 AM
if i kept sucking on a dummy id get a hole in the top of my mouth - age 3ish

if i didnt wear my seatbelt id go to jail (fire engines and ambulances tell police if your not wearing your seatbelt) - aged 5-10

that if I didn't clean my ears, potatoes would grow in them - aged 5-10ish

my Dad used to tell me that if I didn't eat the crust of the bread of my sandwich that I would never grow chest hair and shave my face like grown men - aged 7-

If you cross your eyes they will get stuck crossed- aged 8

and finally sitting to close to the tv would give me square eyes - aged 5+

loads more to tird to think

Connor
11-01-10, 01:04 AM
and finally sitting to close to the tv would give me square eyes - aged 5+

+1 lol
done me good i suppose as i am not a couch potato

Nova_Sean
11-01-10, 01:14 AM
if i played with my belly button my bum would fall off... apparently, its held on by a long bolt!

Southie
11-01-10, 08:31 AM
If you keep picking your nose your head will cave in.

If we didn't eat our carrots we wouldn't be able to see in the dark.

If you unscrew your belly button your bum will fall off. :confused:

JShannon
11-01-10, 09:24 AM
My aunt used to have a really cool roofspace with all sorts in it. When me and all my brother tried to sneak up they told us that my cousins twin brother lived up there and he would eat us if we went up lol!!

Joe:thumb:

nova_saloon
11-01-10, 12:55 PM
My aunt used to have a really cool roofspace with all sorts in it. When me and all my brother tried to sneak up they told us that my cousins twin brother lived up there and he would eat us if we went up lol!!

Joe:thumb:

life scarring stuff :thumb:

draper
11-01-10, 01:57 PM
There's a feild in spain full of top secret, fantastic things

During lunch hour at lotus a team of engineers used to drop XE lumps in brand new nova shells

Southie
11-01-10, 02:06 PM
There's a feild in spain full of top secret, fantastic things

During lunch hour at lotus a team of engineers used to drop XE lumps in brand new nova shells

1. no 'the icecream van bell rings when its empty to let them know at the depot' type stuff that came off comedy shows
3. nothing remotely sexual. I want to keep this thread within the scope of the innocence of youth.

:cry:

Pete
11-01-10, 02:15 PM
haha one of the best ones i can remember is:

When the ice cream van comes and uses its siren's it means hes out of ice cream :(

age 5+

Southie
11-01-10, 02:18 PM
haha one of the best ones i can remember is:

When the ice cream van comes and uses its siren's it means hes out of ice cream :(

age 5+

:cry:

novaload1992
11-01-10, 02:23 PM
sleep tight don't let the bed bugs bite? lol

Southie
11-01-10, 02:26 PM
sleep tight don't let the bed bugs bite? lol

CLICKY (http://hotels.about.com/od/hotelsecrets/ig/Bedbug-Bites/)Sweet dreams tonight then lol

Mike
11-01-10, 03:22 PM
Jet car burn outs makes the world spin backwards (aged 23)

Murder isn't illegal (aged 20)

Illegal drag racing is actually legal (aged 17)

Stuart
11-01-10, 03:22 PM
if i played with my belly button my bum would fall off... apparently, its held on by a long bolt!

I tell that to my 4yr old nephew because he plays with his belly button all the time lol.

I used to think all cars were radio controlled and that the exhaust pushed them along....

bmw156
11-01-10, 03:30 PM
i always thoght there were little people in me making me work if that makes sense.

that cats didnt mind being poked, thrown and pulled.

JordyzNova
11-01-10, 05:45 PM
santa and easter bunny are real lol

PMSL lollol

Lee
11-01-10, 05:50 PM
I believed that the wheels didnt spin on a car, that the tyres actually rotated around them. Think I got that from the rotational effect you get from spinning wheels.

I was also properly poo scared of helicopters, and believed they were massive birds out to get me. I called them Heligon-gondas apparently lol

Lewis.
11-01-10, 06:02 PM
I believed that the wheels didnt spin on a car, that the tyres actually rotated around them. Think I got that from the rotational effect you get from spinning wheels.

I was also properly poo scared of helicopters, and believed they were massive birds out to get me. I called them Heligon-gondas apparently lol

PMSL! lol :cry: lol :cry: lol :cry:

my dad always told me that if i stepped on the cracks in the pavement then a bear would jump out and eat me. (aged 5ish)

my sisted told me my nan was the queen (aged 4)

comptoncj
11-01-10, 06:22 PM
I used to believe spiders went to sleep when the bedroom light was turned off lol

tom reid
11-01-10, 07:27 PM
I had both my kids believing thatI could breath underwater, ( I could blow bubbles with my left ear when under water due to a burst eardrum), and that it was Fluids that built Stonehenge and they actually lived in the stones, the latter one came up from a confused teacher at a parents evening.

Andy
11-01-10, 07:41 PM
If i spoke when snooker was on telly i would put the players off lol
"If the wind changed,i would stay like that"

dannyb
11-01-10, 07:55 PM
If you flush the toilet, then run a tap immediately afterwards, the toilets contents will come out (age 4)

After reading a Lego catalogue and seeing that the hospital had an operating theatre, I assumed that the open space out the back of Lego building sets was also called an operating theatre (age 6)

I also put a sandwich in the VCR machine when I was 5. I got what seemed like the hiding of my life!

onlyangelzfall
11-01-10, 08:48 PM
Aged 4 i used to believe money grew on trees. turned out my mam had put a few £ coins under a tree and attached a £5 note to it...

reality hit many years later when i realised this wasnt true =(

blue_peg_16v
11-01-10, 08:54 PM
you crazy fool lol

Logical Improvement
11-01-10, 09:02 PM
1) In the existence of GOD.
2) That my Dad knew about computers.
3) That my mother was sane.
4) That turning the other cheek was the right christian response to being bullied. (Beating the **** out of them until they or you are almost dead works much better in the long term)

kelbelle
11-01-10, 09:22 PM
I thought there were actualy people in the telly and used to look in the air vent bits to try and see them.

After watching a childhood film called A Little Princess i believed that teddys and dolls got up and walked around when you left the room and no matter how fast you ran they always managed to get back into positiong before you saw.

mowgli
11-01-10, 09:27 PM
what about swallowed chewing gum will stay in your stomach forever?

Lewis.
11-01-10, 09:44 PM
and if you eat the pips in an apple then an apple tree will grow out of your mouth lol

George g
11-01-10, 09:46 PM
what about swallowed chewing gum will stay in your stomach forever?

And if you swallowed an Apple seed/orange pip it would grow inside you...

Derick-Sport
11-01-10, 10:11 PM
1. i thought that my dad could actually ring father christmas when i was bad on the house phone! age5
2. and that iff i pressed the horn in the car the moutain rescue would come out because it was for emergencys only age7

haha some great post on this thread

mowgli
12-01-10, 05:17 PM
another one.... that if you waved at a helicopter in a crazy big crossed arms style, they'd land