PDA

View Full Version : water pump changing problem :(

nova_pipi
09-01-10, 06:06 PM
I started to change my water pump on my 1.2i nova and i couldnt get the cam belt cover off because the bottom pulley was in the way, so i tried to take this off but when i tried to i undo the bolt the pulley jus turned, has anyone got any tips of how to get it off please? any suggestions are great thanks

comptoncj
09-01-10, 06:07 PM
Put the engine in gear and then attempt to undo it with a bar, failing that use an air gun.

nova_pipi
09-01-10, 06:20 PM
i tried puttin it in gear but itstill dint work :( but it didnt just spin, i think ill jus need to go a bit hardcore on it, i didnt want to break anything, i cant get hold of an air gun, thanks

Annie
09-01-10, 06:47 PM
Im sure I saw my bf do this, he Put it in gear then took the clutch plate or was it fly wheel plate off, Its on the front lower part of the gearbox has about 8 bolts & wedge a screw driver in there to stop it turning. Then use a bar slid over the top of ur ratchet to undo it.

Are you undoing it the right way? & Im sure they are pretty solid cause ours had lock tight on the bolt.

Mike
09-01-10, 06:48 PM
I just lock the engine using a flat head screwdriver :thumb:

nova_pipi
09-01-10, 06:55 PM
where is it you put the screw driver to lock it because my bottom pulleys just a flat plate with no holes

Mike
09-01-10, 06:59 PM
where is it you put the screw driver to lock it because my bottom pulleys just a flat plate with no holes

Top pully, straight thru the cirlce holes in it, let the pully rotate until the cam gear wedges itself with the screwdriver.

Annie
09-01-10, 07:00 PM
Not the pulley!, theres a plate/cover with around 8 bolts on bottom left hand side of your gear box directly at the front/right hand side of your car.

Annie
09-01-10, 07:01 PM
Top pully, straight thru the cirlce holes in it, let the pully rotate until the cam gear wedges itself with the screwdriver.

That will work 2 cowboy :)

Mike
09-01-10, 07:03 PM
Not the pulley!, theres a plate/cover with around 8 bolts on bottom left hand side of your gear box directly at the front/right hand side of your car.

Yes the pully, thats what i said.

You on about the clutch inspection cover? As yes you can do the same from there too, just I couldnt be bothered to remove the cover to start with.

EDIT: LOL didnt realise that post wasnt aimed at me, an its not cowboy, its ease/laziness & its only a Nova so meh lol

Annie
09-01-10, 07:05 PM
Lol Im sure he will get there in the end.

Joe Richardson
09-01-10, 07:20 PM
Im sure I saw my bf do this, he Put it in gear then took the clutch plate or was it fly wheel plate off, Its on the front lower part of the gearbox has about 8 bolts & wedge a screw driver in there to stop it turning. Then use a bar slid over the top of ur ratchet to undo it.

Are you undoing it the right way? & Im sure they are pretty solid cause ours had lock tight on the bolt.

The best way:thumb:

I did it this way when i changed my cambelt/waterpump on the SR last year :)

Nobby
09-01-10, 07:21 PM
both will work but mike lmao lol

nova_pipi
09-01-10, 07:22 PM
i wasnt sure what you meant at first annie but i do now lol im going to try that 2moro then just need to find a big bar for on the end lol thanks for the help everyone, one last thing to, can alot of water leak from your water pump if its nakerd :thumb:

Mike
09-01-10, 07:23 PM
both will work but mike lmao lol

Its the quickest way lol

If only the alternator belt was this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA) easy aswell :cool:

Nobby
09-01-10, 07:41 PM
fuking ace! ^

mowgli
10-01-10, 11:45 AM
put the car into top gear & using a big bar & several socket extensions to get it out past the wing. then support it with an axle stand and jump on it. it has loctite on it & you must put some loctite back on it... they have flown off....

soon some goon is going to post that you should put a socket bar on, & wedge it somewhere, then turn the starter..........DON'T

pikey1986
10-01-10, 12:24 PM
put the car into top gear & using a big bar & several socket extensions to get it out past the wing. then support it with an axle stand and jump on it. it has loctite on it & you must put some loctite back on it... they have flown off....

soon some goon is going to post that you should put a socket bar on, & wedge it somewhere, then turn the starter..........DON'T

im sure ive read about people using this method somewhere in the not so distant past

nova_pipi
10-01-10, 12:51 PM
thanks mowgli ill see if iv got enough socket extensions for it lol im going to go and give it another go in a minute