PDA

View Full Version : Is it wise to pump the brakes?

FUSION X16XE
09-01-10, 05:47 PM
Is it wise to pump the brakes in a skidding situation? I tryed it earlier and it seems to greatly increase the braking abilitly of the car on ice/snow, altho saying this my friend just said f**k that that WILL make you skid more??

Will F
09-01-10, 05:48 PM
Have you passed your test?

mayhem
09-01-10, 05:49 PM
^^ Lol

Welsh Dan
09-01-10, 05:52 PM
Whenever you lose traction under braking you should release them and reapply them. I have to do this on the ice even with ABS.

LOL@ the comments though.

Royston
09-01-10, 06:00 PM
It's called candescent braking, iirc and can reduce stopping distances on snow/slippery surfaces.

I don't personally like ABS on snow/ice

Jack
09-01-10, 06:07 PM
if you're driving properly on ice/snow, you shouldn't need to worry about pumping the brrrrakes (see what I did there lol)

ABS doesn't give shorter braking distances anyway, it gives control under braking and increased braking distance. On snow, its possible to reduce braking distance by locking the wheels up as this allows them to dig down through the snow to grip underneath. Unfortunately that doesn't work so well in our country as the snow tends to be compacted by other vehicles, or form on a layer of ice underneath.

Either way, I prefer to drive on ice/snow with ABS disabled. I'll decide when to lock the wheels and when to release them, thanks.

Royston
09-01-10, 06:22 PM
Nice explanation:thumb: ......................I couldn't be botheredlol

Paul
09-01-10, 06:28 PM
Have you passed your test?

+1

Annie
09-01-10, 06:36 PM
I was coming up to a cross roads with traffic lights, Let off the power & braked a little car started to slid so I did Pump the brakes I really wasnt stopping & was getting closer to the juction. In the end I ripped the handbrake up & slid the poor old nova into some deep snow at the side of the road to stop. Lucky it worked, I really didnt wanna go sliding into a main road. lol

Rich
09-01-10, 07:15 PM
Change down gears to slow down, pick a low gear for downhill

Jack
09-01-10, 07:16 PM
You were going too fast and leaving your braking too late then :p

I use the brakes all the time on the Celica in the ice and have yet to lock the wheels. Except when intentional :d