PDA

View Full Version : squeaky clutch?

James B
29-03-03, 08:52 PM
yey! get to drive my beloved nova again after having an operation meaning i couldnt drive for like 5 weeks. however, aswel as also experiencing the loss of my ICE due to thieving toerags in my area, i have noticed something new that i dont think i have ever noticed before...

if im caning it along and racing through the gears, as i engage the clutch on the new gear it lets out a nice **squeak**

What the hell is this??

Any help most appreciated like!!! Cheers

James

Chris LR
29-03-03, 09:09 PM
Long progressive squeak?

Qwwwwweeeeeeekkk kinda sound?

Aragorn
29-03-03, 09:17 PM
WD40 the pedal spindle and spring and see if that stops it

mine does it too but im used to it :P

AW3K
29-03-03, 10:06 PM
Long progressive squeak?

Qwwwwweeeeeeekkk kinda sound?

I get that.

It's done it since i had it damn anoying.

How do i stop it cos its doing my head in.

Oh it does the same on the release.

Thanks

AW3K

Chris LR
29-03-03, 10:18 PM
It's more of a Quuueeiik on release......

I always thought it was the clutch cable myself, I never replaced it so I never found out if I was right?

AW3K
29-03-03, 10:20 PM
all i know is that the pedal is really hard to press down, the same noise as you described and not a crunch if you know what i mean.

I'm gonna grease all the pivot points tomorow to see if that stops it

Thanks

AW3K

Chris LR
29-03-03, 10:39 PM
I thought mine was the cable becasue sometimes it used to stick about 1-2inches from the top, it wouldn'd follow my foot up if you know what I mean...

After about 2 seconds it would continue all the way up....

Snowface
30-03-03, 05:16 PM
mine does that. IT makes a slight higher pitched aqueek when releasing clutch. mines more of a 'buuuar' noise.

mikeoxford
30-03-03, 08:09 PM
look up under the dash its the white bush

AW3K
30-03-03, 08:19 PM
sorted mine today and no squeak.

Take the shelf out under the dash so you have access to the bulkhead.

Find where the cable passes through the bulkhead look for the bush as mike said, mine looked abit old.

Grease it alot use something long as your hands won't fit up into the area.
Press the clutch with your hand and hold the grease next to the cable and repatedly p[ress that pedel. this picks up the grease. also grease the pivot point and where the cable attaches to the pedal.

Open the bonnet and crease where the cable joins to the arm and where it enters the outer cable. press pedal few times and re grease.

After that there might be a slight squeak, mine did, i left it did sommet else on the car came back and it had stoped.

It works great.

refit shelf and bobs ya uncle.

Hope it helps

AW3K

mikeoxford
30-03-03, 08:39 PM
youll probly find you have to do it again in 6 months mate..........

AW3K
30-03-03, 08:54 PM
probbabaly right but if it comes back i'll re-grease it. no big problem there.

How much are new cables anyway?

AW3K

burgessovsalford
31-03-03, 11:54 AM
My Clutch used to big ded still & queeky aswell until I got a new one the otherday. I got a new clutch & cluth bearing fitted & it is well light now. Like driving a new car :D

jatinder
31-03-03, 01:38 PM
yeah mine does that but im used to that but got bigger problems to deal with at the moment