PDA

View Full Version : Best cam for 1.2 & Rear Strut brace.

Nova_Tek
08-01-10, 02:15 PM
Right, suggestions for uprated cams that will be a direct fit to the 12ST, no mods needed what-so-ever. The cams should complement the 2e3 carb & inlet, 1.3 manifold, K&N, port&polish head and inlet. This could be a standard cam from another engine or aftermarket items. The cheaper the better :) ;) :d

Also looking to get a rear strut brace, the ones that weld/bolt to the rear wheel wells. Do they actually work? The car is lowered, has front strut brace and will have a rear ARB fitted soon.

:thumb:

blue_peg_16v
08-01-10, 02:20 PM
imo for the gains your going to get save your pennies and get a bigger engine a 1.2 is never going to be that quick unless it has serious money like colins hillclimb car

as for rear strut weld a bar inbetween the struts on the rear is the cheapest option and does the same job but you realy need a full cage to benefit from it fully

Benn
08-01-10, 02:22 PM
Yes the brace works, stiffens the rear right up. Well worth doing.Weld a metal tube in.

Nova_Tek
08-01-10, 02:56 PM
imo for the gains your going to get save your pennies and get a bigger engine a 1.2 is never going to be that quick unless it has serious money like colins hillclimb car

as for rear strut weld a bar inbetween the struts on the rear is the cheapest option and does the same job but you realy need a full cage to benefit from it fully

Cheers dude, I am doing engine upgrades, as I mentioned, on a budget as most of the engine stuff a mate will be doing for me whilst the head is off FOC, so even if I spend £100 on some minor part upgrades then its no worry to me.

It's really a small experiment to see what can be had for very litte and to see what the engine will be like with the upgrades. Don't get me wrong I'm going for a LET upgrade within the next 4 months and getting the whole car prepared to accept the let in the coming weeks. Just wanted to have a bit of fun with the 1.2 before the new era begins lol

As for the rear brace, there will be no cage fitted I just wanted to see if it will benefit handling at all and if it's worth fitting one.

:thumb:

blue_peg_16v
08-01-10, 03:00 PM
well if its just a bit of fun get the dremil out match the head ports to the manifold and give is abit of a smooth up inside

as for cam i have no idea never done owt but throw 1.2s away

Nova_Tek
08-01-10, 03:04 PM
That's what's planned, polish up the inlet and some minor port/polishing the head. My mate knows what he's doing so he'll get that sorted. The 1.2 cams will be taken out at the mo I'm at a bit of a cross road as to what cam to go for. the 1.3 SR which has more lift, try find the 1.3sport ENEM (which is rare) or go for something more aftermarket like a Kent of something (probably second hand so it keeps the cost down)

So I need some info and recommendations.

dougie_boi
08-01-10, 03:22 PM
some people use one from a gt/gsi but that wont work on yours as you have a mechanical fuel pump. you might might find a used aftermarket one on egaY which would be your best bet

craig green
08-01-10, 03:31 PM
Nova GTE cam. Carb should be OK upgraded over the std 1B1 is it?
I think a 1300/1400 carb cam will be good too. The 1200 cam lacks any real lift if you look at the specs in the HAYNES Bible.

Nova_Tek
08-01-10, 03:42 PM
Yeah it's the standard 1.2 carb the 1b/1e (always get mixed up with that)

Were the 1.3 SR and the 1.3 Sport cams the same? Won't the 1.4 cam need the dizzy drive to be changed? What about the Astra 1.3 (75BHP engine) would that be better then the 1.3 cam?

craig green
08-01-10, 03:46 PM
1.3 cams & I assume 1.4 cam is different spec. Sport was sold with std cam, there was an Irmscher/ENEM cam available as an option.
Any cam mentioned would be an improvement tbh. I know the GTE cam works well on the 1.2 SPi according to old threads on here.
1.4 mk2 carb Astras were common as were 1400 SR's so getting a cam housing & cam shouldnt be too hard. As I say, read the specs in the Haynes & you will soon see any cam will have more lift than the 1200's.

Nova_Tek
08-01-10, 03:53 PM
I'd much prefer to just be able to swap the cam then to have to change the housing too, even if I am limiting myself. The ENEM cam was my main choice but looks like it will be hard to find. So I think the 1.3SR cam twould be the easiest solution.

blue_peg_16v
08-01-10, 03:54 PM
depends with the sport cam iirc the cam was standard but there was an option of a different cam not sure though

Benn
08-01-10, 03:54 PM
Even with a cage, get a welded in brace. You'll notice it with it just tacked in.

Nova_Tek
08-01-10, 03:56 PM
Cheers Benn :thumb: will opt for a rear brace.

Nova_Sean
08-01-10, 04:34 PM
Do front and rear braces make the car handle noticibly different? Toying with the idea of getting one for my car but not sure if its gonna be worth it :confused:

Its only a 1.2 at the moment, but will be a x16/20xe fast road car eventually. when i have some no claims behind me!

Benn
08-01-10, 04:36 PM
They tighten the body up and are well worth doing.

Just remember rear braces that bolt on the shocks do nothing.

Nova_Tek
08-01-10, 04:38 PM
depends with the sport cam iirc the cam was standard but there was an option of a different cam not sure though

That was the ENEM cam, which so far searching around has found exactly 0 for sale lol

blue_peg_16v
08-01-10, 05:25 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vauxhall-nova-astra-piper-cam-kit_W0QQitemZ260534583047QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca9123f07

Mike
08-01-10, 06:35 PM
They tighten the body up and are well worth doing.

Just remember rear braces that bolt on the shocks do nothing.

What he says :cool:

garyc
08-01-10, 08:18 PM
All 1300 cams are the same. Here is the info I have on the ENEM cam

298 duration, valve angle 103, lift 10.12mm inlet opens 35BTDC closes 73BTDC, exhaust opens 68ATDC closes 35 ATDC (the before and after doesnt look right to me).

the lift is the same as a std cam. part no 1406108.

jimbob-mcgrew
09-01-10, 04:38 AM
1.3's the only optomn uyoiuve got reaealy brsides changing the ignition srtyup. rm what it says in the 1.34 sguirde,... sauys u gains 5 hp ftpm swotvcoing this cam.. anyuthing bniggrer id pimn ftrovr, ui esnn skrrp it dlot inlrd yuor esny rfcts rfpne,damn wghuistrkmyy

jimbob-mcgrew
09-01-10, 04:38 AM
fcukitt .,. poiseedf

Nova_Tek
09-01-10, 02:27 PM
WTF are you on about Jimbob? lol

Edd
09-01-10, 03:04 PM
think he was drunk, at least it looks that way. lol lol lol

Nova_Tek
09-01-10, 03:13 PM
Think the standard SR/Sport cam will be the first choice unless I can find either the Kent AST17 or the Piper A13BP270H for a good price.

Anyfeed back on the Kent or Piper cams I mentioned?

jimbob-mcgrew
10-01-10, 12:55 PM
my previous message in english this time :

1.3's the only option youve got really, that doesnt involve changing the ignition setup to accomodate a larger pin drive cam. from what ive heard from people on here and i think maybe in the 1.2 guide also, u gain 5 bhp from switching to this cam. there are some aftermarket cams that do have slot drive tho, depending on how wild u wanna go. the 1.3 cam tho, i reckon would make a nice wee boost for a daily and be the cheapest option too :thumb:

edit : plus being the cheapest option it leaves u with more change for fresh lifters, followers and thrust pads :thumb: just had a quick look on ebay, bout 65 for all 3, might be able to get a standalone cam for 35 too if your lucky, 100 total.

Nova_Tek
11-01-10, 04:24 PM
Cheers Jimbob that makes a lot more sense. I think the SR cam is best choice and maybe fitting new lifters and followers would tighten things up and bring back a some power :thumb: