PDA

View Full Version : h.i.d's

2drloon
06-01-10, 01:05 PM
i am thinking of getting a set of these but undecided if to get 6000k or 8000k
as i havent seen these in the flesh id like to know your opinions on them cheers.

also pics of them fitted might help.

thanks in advance http://corsasport.co.uk/board/images/smile/thumbs.gif

L14MNP
06-01-10, 01:07 PM
6 all day. I have 5's. Albeit unfitted to the car I have tested them and they are the brightest and whitest I have seen.

The higher the colour temperature (Kelvins) the less white (and gayer IMO) the light.

3-4K K's is halogen iirc Then H.I.D is 5-12, with BMW's etc being around 7K.

2drloon
06-01-10, 01:10 PM
6 all day. I have 5's. Albeit unfitted to the car I have tested them and they are the brightest and whitest I have seen.

The higher the colour temperature (Kelvins) the less white (and gayer IMO) the light.

3-4K K's is halogen iirc Then H.I.D is 5-12, with BMW's etc being around 7K. whas relly swaying towards the 8000k as i do like the bmw/range rover ones witch are supposed to be close to that but might go for 6000k now thanks

craig green
06-01-10, 01:12 PM
Personally I hate the gay blue tinge as said above. So for 5's or 6's.

The full on blue look really doesnt suit older cars IMO & tbh when you see a Saxo or Civic coming at you with Blue lights on the front, you know its some chav..

L14MNP
06-01-10, 01:12 PM
Depends on what you like mate. I don't dig the blue-purple look personally.
Just watch what you buy. There's some serious eBay sh!t out there. lol

Southie
06-01-10, 01:14 PM
The colour scale on normal to oooochavfesticals. lol

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk73/mjgonegm/ColorChart.jpg

2drloon
06-01-10, 01:15 PM
thanks guys.
as iv recently got rid of the nova these are for my corsa. and im looking at these ones if anybody can advise me if these look like shat. thanks

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330387587026&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

2drloon
06-01-10, 01:17 PM
imo the 8000k on the above pic does look a lot nicer and brighter in comparison to the 6000k might just be me bein gay tho?

Nova_Tek
06-01-10, 01:19 PM
The higher you go the less light it actually emits. 6000k emits more light (lumins) then 8000k

Plus the fuzz may pick on you a bit more if you have 8000k

2drloon
06-01-10, 01:20 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j207/Whitter45/DSC00184-1.jpg

this is 4300k and 8000k

this makes me go towards 8000k.
cant make my mind up :cry:

brucer
06-01-10, 01:20 PM
Id go 6k, have got a pic from when I had them fitted to my nova. Will upload later.

craig green
06-01-10, 01:21 PM
Just watch what you buy. There's some serious eBay sh!t out there. lol

Thats actually why I havent bought any. Too many are copies of a poor product which has been counterfeited further still. lol

The Nova's headlamp lens isnt really suited to HID bulbs anyway. They scatter the beam.

2drloon
06-01-10, 01:22 PM
Id go 6k, have got a pic from when I had them fitted to my nova. Will upload later. that would help a lot thanks matey. cheers

Nova_Tek
06-01-10, 01:23 PM
Id go 6k, have got a pic from when I had them fitted to my nova. Will upload later.

Have you got any pics of the HID light pattern in the Nova? Pretty much what Craig said, there's some shocking poo stuff on BeGay.

Southie
06-01-10, 01:26 PM
This is Benns setup, iirc 6000.

Hids over everykind of "upraterd" bulbs.

Loved mine. Will be refitting if i can get a new relay.

Mine before being adjusted.( They where very low)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/bennh2/HID%20fitting/IMG_2791.jpg

Dont look like a lot of light, but where i'm paked its pitch black, and they really night everything up so bright.

And cause its cool.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/bennh2/HID%20fitting/IMG_2794.jpg

2drloon
06-01-10, 01:28 PM
think im just gunna go for the 6000k

Nova_Tek
06-01-10, 01:29 PM
That looks 6000k as it's very white.

2drloon
06-01-10, 01:30 PM
thanks for all you input guys. going to purchase the 6000k one. cheers

Jack
06-01-10, 04:59 PM
6000k all day long. 8000k is far too blue. Here's my Celica:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/CCUK/2008_03030066.jpg

Low beam, 6000K vs halogens. Main beam:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/CCUK/2008_03030074.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/CCUK/2008_03030072.jpg

...supposedly both 6000k, although I'm certain the inners are 8000k. Light is much bluer than the 6000k outers.

Note the Celica has damned fine lenses for HID burners, I've seen pics that Welsh Dan put up and the light pattern was all over the shop. I'm also not too convinced by Benn's pics, the light seems to have little definition along the top.

As for cheapy chinese rip offs, you get exactly the same stuff as the UK-sold HIDs. Only difference is the instructions are a bit more ghey (but installation is a piece of piss) and tbh if you were buying a H4 solenoid kit, I'd want a UK seller for ease of returns in case the solenoid goes ping.

I would recommend a battery harness too, especially on a Nova. Those £49 ones weren't the cheapest on ebay too.

brucer
06-01-10, 06:34 PM
Have you got any pics of the HID light pattern in the Nova? Pretty much what Craig said, there's some shocking poo stuff on BeGay.

i havnt no, the pattern would have been rubbish anyway. i only used the car in the summer so i hardly ever used them. also my kit was cheap and fxxked up. so i just put standard bulbs back in. even though they looked real cool.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z24/bachilds1988/DSC01071.jpg

Adam
06-01-10, 06:44 PM
6000k ftw

Fester
06-01-10, 06:51 PM
HID stuff (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html)

Jack
06-01-10, 08:20 PM
I've read that link before, and tbh its mostly complete scaremongering tosh. he wags on about "beam mismatch" and all that crap - I think my pics, albeit from a Celica and not a Nova, prove that in some cases, the HID burners provide just as good - if not better - light pattern in standard headlamps.

I've had them on for feck knows how long, but at least 3 years. Passed 3 MOTs (which checks colour, beam pattern, and bulb condition). Never had a bulb fail, headlamp damage, never blinded oncoming motorists, etc. No interruption from "electrical interference" even though one of the ballasts is housed right next to my #2 fuse box. The beam also projects better than the halogen counterpart (although I don't have any pics of how it falls on the ground at distance from the car), in fact on the Celica I'd go so far as to say standard 55W halogens are almost dangerous to drive with, they're that poop

I'll get off my soapbox now lol

John
06-01-10, 09:06 PM
Good thread this, someone post a link for a "half decent" 6k kit?

Benn
06-01-10, 09:12 PM
8k all the way, in nova lamps they look nice and clean and clear..

But i wouldn't bother. Yes the light is great and they light the world up...
But you'll have people flash you, cause they wont get a very good beam. If you wanna let some one out and flash them there's a delay and they come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn then off.

Benn
06-01-10, 09:13 PM
I've had them on for feck knows how long, but at least 3 years. Passed 3 MOTs (which checks colour, beam pattern, and bulb condition). Never had a bulb fail, headlamp damage, never blinded oncoming motorists, etc. No interruption from "electrical interference" even though one of the ballasts is housed right next to my #2 fuse box. The beam also projects better than the halogen counterpart (although I don't have any pics of how it falls on the ground at distance from the car), in fact on the Celica I'd go so far as to say standard 55W halogens are almost dangerous to drive with, they're that poop

lol Bet the last mot tester "tested" the beam well....

L14MNP
06-01-10, 09:15 PM
Yes the light is great and they light the world up...
But you'll have people flash you, cause they wont get a very good beam.
The beauty of people flashing you when you have dipped HID's is you can give them main beam! They soon stop flashing. lol

Proper headlight lenses and H1 fitment FTW. lol

Adam
06-01-10, 09:17 PM
If you look at a nova headlamp with a hid bulb fitted in a MOT beam pattern tester you'll see that the lights give NO pattern at all. The bulbs just light up the entire beam lense instead of pointing at set markings inside in....

Yes they light up the road awesomely and are so much better than halogens, but they light up EVERYWHERE.........

Nova_Tek
06-01-10, 09:52 PM
My bro stuck on some 6000k HID's into his Cav and so far no horror stories have been told and IIRC he's had his MOT too.

Best way to really tell what brand/make/model of kit has best pattern & light quality is for those with them fitted to park the Nova facing a wall on level ground and then switch them on. You'll be able to see if the pattern exists as you would with halogens.

I am deffo gonna fit some HID's to mine, I currently use 30% bright Philips bulbs rated at 4300k and they do well, nice to drive with but HID's are in a different league. However, I don't wanna fit utter crap (which is easier said than done)

Jack
07-01-10, 10:12 AM
Best way to really tell what brand/make/model of kit has best pattern & light quality is for those with them fitted to park the Nova facing a wall on level ground and then switch them on. You'll be able to see if the pattern exists as you would with halogens.
All the HID kits (well the ones you find on ebay) are pretty much the same stuff, or at least they all come from Chindia anyway. The only difference is some are bought in bulk by UK based sellers, who then sell them on hoping that because people see a UK seller they think the kit will be better quality and made in the EU. Both the UK and China kits I had were exactly the same, bar the instructions and battery harness.

lol Bet the last mot tester "tested" the beam well....
Nope, legit MOTs from two different garages. Don't forget, I'm talking CELICA lamps here, not Nova ones. I don't doubt that Nova lamps are sh!t for HIDs, but as you can see from the pics I've posted, for some reason they really work well in Celica lamps. And also in my BMW lamps too come to think of it (although my headlight aim is shonked up, but thats nothing to do with the HIDs)

you wanna let some one out and flash them there's a delay and they come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn then off.
None of the HIDs I've bought do that? Yes they take a few seconds to warm up, BUT they flash up at full power first for a fraction of a second then darken and warm up. Even when "dark" its clear to see the lamp is lit up, even in daylight.

Benn
07-01-10, 11:35 AM
Ah ok yeah i was thinking Nova ;)

The whole warm up thing, on mine and all the kits i've seen the take 2sec to warm up then stay on for about 4sec then go off, that isn't a flash in my books...

brucer
07-01-10, 01:26 PM
The warm up time is the ballast kicking 12v up to something crazy like 70-80,000v.

Dont no why benns is flashing.lol.

Stuart
07-01-10, 01:37 PM
go 32K and its in the UV range... I was thinking of these for my fogs to light signs etc up better lol... then thought better of it and want to convert the fog light holes to air ducts for the brakes :d

Jack
07-01-10, 02:39 PM
Benn, do you have the battery harness?

Mine flash on bright at full power for a fraction of a sec, then darken down and take a couple of seconds to come up to full power. The ones without the battery harness take a little longer to warm up

Benn
07-01-10, 02:42 PM
I did, wired via fuse straight to it.

Benn
07-01-10, 02:43 PM
The warm up time is the ballast kicking 12v up to something crazy like 70-80,000v.

Dont no why benns is flashing.lol.

Its not flashing, its the time they take to warm up and stay on/go off/ cool down.

Nova_Tek
07-01-10, 02:46 PM
go 32K and its in the UV range... I was thinking of these for my fogs to light signs etc up better lol... then thought better of it and want to convert the fog light holes to air ducts for the brakes :d

That's actually a good idea mate the UV light would make anything white glow lol

mayhem
07-01-10, 02:48 PM
8k all the way, in nova lamps they look nice and clean and clear..

But i wouldn't bother. Yes the light is great and they light the world up...
But you'll have people flash you, cause they wont get a very good beam. If you wanna let some one out and flash them there's a delay and they come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn then off.

luckely it's illegal here to put Xenon hid crap in non projector headlights.

Benn
07-01-10, 02:50 PM
It is here. But the police have no clue unless you are driving towards them and blinding them...

L14MNP
07-01-10, 02:51 PM
You need headlight washers and self levelling to be legit also, not that anyone bothers with that either. lol

Benn
07-01-10, 02:54 PM
Oh yeah the self leveling units that break with in a year leaving the light point up in your eyes for 2 yeah till they have a funking new mot.

L33 LEG
07-01-10, 03:47 PM
not the best of pics but i have 12Ks, they are very blue at night.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/L33LEG/the%20BMW%20project/bmw053.jpg

Adam
07-01-10, 03:54 PM
They are very blue in daylight too! Lol

Welsh Dan
07-01-10, 04:37 PM
I had 6000k ones in my Nova. The beam pattern didn't look too good against the garage door but I didn't get flashed or stopped. The light output was good but a bit blue. If I was to fit a set to my current car (which I'm not), I'd be going for either 4300k or 5000k for a more normal look and better light output.

L14MNP
07-01-10, 04:41 PM
Oh yeah the self leveling units that break with in a year leaving the light point up in your eyes for 2 yeah till they have a funking new mot.
Proper stuff doesn't break lol. I'm not sure how you are meant to get around it with retro fits though.

Welsh Dan
07-01-10, 04:43 PM
Proper stuff doesn't break lol. I'm not sure how you are meant to get around it with retro fits though.

You can get around it by having 'manual' electric adjusters and headlight washers.

Benn
07-01-10, 04:58 PM

They all break. The bodyshop have a porka cyanan 4x4 thing in for that reason. It had broken and was stuck lighting up the roof tops.

Stuart
07-01-10, 05:08 PM
You can get around it by having 'manual' electric adjusters and headlight washers.

or projector lenses :d

L14MNP
07-01-10, 05:09 PM
Atr Ftw.

Jack
08-01-10, 03:11 PM
I thought it had to be auto levellers? Otherwise that would make my celica lamps legal to the letter of the law... as the beam pattern is ok, the colour is ok, they have washers and manual levellers

Welsh Dan
08-01-10, 03:29 PM
Word is on Performance Mondeo Group that washers+manual levellers is OK. They're talking about swapping the halogen light unit for the Xenon projector unit but I don't see how its any different to a Hxx type HID bulb in a reflector legally as long as the beam pattern is OK.

Benn
08-01-10, 04:04 PM
I dont think it is^ but you wont get a beam with a hid in a non hid headlight.

Welsh Dan
08-01-10, 04:19 PM
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Turns out I was wrong.

Benn
08-01-10, 04:34 PM
Was worried you where listening to Mondeo owners..

Welsh Dan
08-01-10, 04:45 PM
There's a good core bunch of them, just like there is on here.

Jack
08-01-10, 05:50 PM
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Turns out I was wrong.
That report is flawed though as it states "the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern" which is simply not true in all cases.

Welsh Dan
08-01-10, 05:51 PM
I agree. Its easier for them to put out a blanket ban than to police which models and submodels are OK though.

Jack
08-01-10, 05:56 PM
True. Ahh well, in the 3 or so years I've been using HIDs on the Celica I've not had a problem. I guess its better that the police lookout for crap lights that splat the beam all over the place I suppose.

On another note, I find glare from a HID lamp to be easier on my eyes than glare from a Halogen bulb.