PDA

View Full Version : glow plugs...........

twistysnovagte
06-01-10, 09:22 AM
Is there a knack to changing these or are they just as simple as changing spark plugs!?
i honestly dont know as i havent changed them before,but im willing to change them with words of wisdom :d
alls i do know is that there is a copper strip along the front of them,and that plugs 1/2(looking left to right of the picture)has a black wire between them.

finaly the first plug seems to be hampered by the fuel pump!!!
has anyone changed these on this particular engine.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa168/twist6151/DSCF1450-1.jpg?t=1262769687

brucer
06-01-10, 10:50 AM
Easy enough, but if they havnt been working for a while then there will be a build up of soot on th tip. When you try pulling them out theyll get stuck.

Hopefully shouldnt.

Btw, 1000th post :)

twistysnovagte
06-01-10, 10:59 AM
yeah theyve been working(only yesterday)(with the new battery on)but still needing a few good turns when the heat light goes off on the dash for the plugs,so not realy wanting to kill another battery as they cost quite a few quid Lol.
ive been advised to change them by the A/A as i had to call them out in the holidays as id run my battery flat trying to start it up.(the plugs being the cause of of the problem,saying one or more could be the problem of not heating up).
And they recomend that i change them with the battery and new fuel filter!
they said the battery as they put a amp test and was not giving out enough amps when running.
so ive bought the following to replace;

new battery
glow plugs
diesel filter
fan belt(as it looked a little worn/fraying)
air filter (as it was black with soot)

Stuart
06-01-10, 11:32 AM
might want to check the glow plug relay and or timer too to make sure they are working fine.

brucer
06-01-10, 01:29 PM
As stuart said. Get a test light an put it on the connecting wire on the plugs, get some one to turn the ignition on an check for the feed and when it turns off.

On the izuzu diesels, the glow plug timer stays on a while after the cars running. If you do short journeys alot then the battery doesnt get charged as the plugs are taking power still.

twistysnovagte
06-01-10, 03:38 PM
Well ive just got back in,and there(glow plugs) finaly in.
The old ones were in a bad state compared to the new ones as in they were covered in carbon soot and looked worn down!
had a bit of trouble trying to get plug 1 in but once they were in and everything connected back up, it fired(first time/cold start) no problems whatsoever.
also got the diesel filter on which has made a difference has it used to chug a little once started and throw smoke out for around 2 mins.
now it doesnt chug and the smoke dissapear's after around 10/15 seconds.
so im happy with the results :)

brucer
06-01-10, 06:37 PM
nice one

sri888
06-01-10, 07:35 PM
a glow plug is a glow plug !