PDA

View Full Version : playstation 3 troubles

Gabbo
05-01-10, 08:09 PM
not sure if i have the right section for this question but here goes.

i bought a playstation 3 in 2008 and last week the disc drive packed in so it wont play games, dvds, cd etc.
ive looked on a few fourms and found out you can buy replacement parts such as the disc drives, batters, leads, cables and so on.

just wondered if any 1 has replaced parts on their playstation 3 or herd of any 1 who has?

burgo
05-01-10, 08:12 PM
ps3 gone wrong!!! never, they are indestructable :roll:

dave watson
i would get in tuch with sony and dont tell them when you bought it but just say that it wont play disks and you might get one under warrenty

Pete
i had a simular thing happen to mine, just ring up sony and tell them your problem and they come out with a new one for you and take your old one away, whether your insured or not, regardless or warranty :)

always worth a try, ive done it twice and dont have either lol

dave watson
05-01-10, 08:13 PM
burgo ill give you a game over xbox live at the weekend if you are up for it

Gabbo
05-01-10, 08:39 PM
i should of said this in the first post but ive already had it in bits!!

u know 1 of those people who's car brakes down at the side of the road and when they open the bonnet they expect to see a big arrow pointing at a plug thats undone and all they have to do is clip it back together again and it will run again, i was kinda hoping i would do the same thing with my playstation lol!!

but there was no arrow so i just cleaned all the connectors and hoovered the dust out put it back together and no different.

i may have to buy a disc drive then, ill see if that works!!

cheers any ways :)

burgo
05-01-10, 08:51 PM
you might wanna google it as i know with xbox's its not as simple as just swopping the drives

RickW
06-01-10, 12:01 AM
its th laser that breaks it happened to mine where it just says its readin the disc but never loads it. You can get a new laser but dont know about fitting it. mine was under warranty and i exchanged at hmv

Plug
06-01-10, 08:19 AM
just buy one of them warrenty void stickers and phone them up

Southie
06-01-10, 08:27 AM
Have a look at this thread, looks like your not the only one. CLICKY (http://www.product-reviews.net/productproblems/20090212/ps3-not-reading-disk/) :(

Here is a possible fix btw taken from that site.

Quoksin on December 19th, 2009 4:17 am
Hey guys and gals, I had the problem with the disc not being read when i inserted into ps3 and having to go through the, start demo > then xmb route. Been going through alot of forums and found a solution so hopefully this will solve most peoples problem. Just going to copy/paste it all here.
”There is a possibility that the HDD has become corrupted (turning off the PS3 from the back is a common culprit) and as a result the drivers for the blu ray drive aren’t working reuslting in no games being read.
I’ve taken to solution below from this thread, thanks to Sonnyjimba for creating it.
http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=147&thread.id=28562
The current version of the ps3 firmware has a “recovery console”.
You access it by
1. Start with having the system in standby (redlight is on)
2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Press and hold the power button again and keep holding, it will beep as it turns on and then it will double beep. When you hear the double beeps immediately take your finger off the power button (if your system turns off before you get a double beep just try again and hold the button, it should double beep the 2nd time you try)
4. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
You will now have a screen with these options
1. Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
2. Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
CHOOSE THIS ONE 3.Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
4. Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
5. Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
6. System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CHOOSE THE WRONG OPTION HERE OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA. The one that fixed my blu-ray drive is option 3: RESTORE FILE SYSTEM
Hope that solves your disc not being read problems!!! ^_^