PDA

View Full Version : Paypal strikes again! I don't even have an account with them FFS.

L14MNP
04-01-10, 05:56 PM
Right, I have just received a letter from a collection agency demanding £60.00 from me on behalf of Jewpal. I've never had a letter like this from anywhere before FFS.

I closed my PP account in November, it was not in arrears and didn't have any open disputes etc. As many will know you cannot close an account if it's not 100% OK.

Mine was in credit about £240, so I moved that to another account, removed my bank details etc. and closed the PP account.

Now it seems that the winner of a set of magnesium Minilites I sold has opened a dispute as they weren't as decribed. Needless to say I didn't notice the numerous requests for information to support my side of the case as I don't even use the email account anymore!

So they have the ability to open a dispute with an account that doesn't exist, and then instead of contacting me via snail mail they pass the case on to a 3rd party.

The wheels sold for £190. The w@nker of a winning bidder was asking for £65.00 back and they awarded him £60.00

God knows what he's done to the wheels/said I have done. They were all straight etc. Mini PCD and required sleeve nuts. All mentioned in the ad. I even mentioned they'd benefit from a restoration due to the paint finish and age and provided several pics - he was fcuking happy.

It P1sses me off. When I have been bumped in the past and the account of the seller doesn't have the funds , PP tell me tough sh1t. Yet they go to extreme lenghts to refund this to$$ piece and I don't even have an active account!

I am going to call them tomorrow and explain I don't use the email addy anymore and closed the PP account as it had been compromised, so how would I know there was a dispute open on an accoun that didn't exist for reasons I don't even know! If he wasn't happy from the off he could have put a dispute in and claimed his money back. Yet it was cleared in my account for a couple of weeks. :mad:

Anyone had similar? Man I hate those b@stards.

bmw156
04-01-10, 06:01 PM
sounds **** dude. paypal are stupid people and robbing buggers

and you say you dont use that email anymore. they dont know that :)

~~joycey~~
04-01-10, 06:04 PM
Paypal is **** but its handy and conveinent which is why the can do as they please

L14MNP
04-01-10, 06:05 PM
I know they don't know I use another email account now mate, but surely when a situation has escalated to that extent then they could use another means of contact, maybe a phone call?

I closed it because I'm sick of being fisted by them, yet they come back and bum me in the night!
I hope I get an Irish person and not a frigging yank when I call up. I have a feeling it won't do any good now as it's been passed on to these knuckle dragging collection monkeys. :(

Richie_B
04-01-10, 06:25 PM
If it's been passed onto another company (the collection agency) then they've probably sold the 'debt' to them and they'll just palm you off to them.

findog
04-01-10, 06:43 PM
I sold a bumper and stated no over sea bids, highlands or Island postage, Uk mainland deliv only. I also stated if you do bid and win and have broken my rules i will not refund ur money. Went on holiday and guess what? some guy in Spain bought it, payed pp then complained i didnt posted it. In the end up he got all his money and it also put me out of pocket. PP took his side even tho i couldnt of made it any clearer.

kelbelle
04-01-10, 06:48 PM
I've had a similar bad communication incident but with my bank. Get an email from Natwest saying they have been trying to contact me and urgently need to discuss my account with me. I've recently moved house so they must have been sending me letters to my old address. But if it was that 'urgent' I dont get why they didnt just phone me, surely that would be the easiest way to contact me!
Then I go in today bricking it because I'm 1,300 into my overdraft and thinking they want it back or something and it was all just because I owed them £45, I said I would pay them at the end of the month and they said ok :wtf:

So i had a sleepless night for no reason!

Jack
04-01-10, 06:59 PM
^ That is kinda your own fault for not informing the bank of your new address though lol

I'd be inclined to get legal advice lamp. Effectively, Paypal have refunded YOUR money without your authorisation.

Paypal are in my bad books these days. Remember my charity beard aution? Ebay waive their fees on charity auctions (well done them) but Paypal still charge fees - so when MissionFish took the amount from my paypal, they took the full amount. So I was out of pocket by a few quid. Not that I mind, as its a good cause, but I still think Paypal are gay for ripping money from a charity auction.

Part of me is tempted to refuse to list paypal as a payment method on my ebay sale auctions in future.

Jon_nova1
04-01-10, 07:16 PM
hmm, if i was in your shoes, i wouldn't pay, a few years ago an unused account of mine got hacked, and i was about £400 in debt, i knew it had been hacked, because i saw it at -£400, but left it, because i knew they couldn't do anything

Simply put, paypal is not a bank, they don't have the right to demand money in that way, it is thier responsibility to makre sure you dont' go into negative equity.

As Richie B says, the debt, chances are the debt has been sold, if you look at your legal rights, nothing can be done without the case going to court, they can ask for it, legally, they can't come round and empty your house, and if it does go to court, just pop along, the judge will laugh it out, because

A. paypal is not a bank, although they can immitate a bank, they can't do anything when the above circumstances happen

B. your in the right, the only reason they're trying to get money out of you is because they seem to think someone else deserves the money, and they can't credit thier account

Kelbelle, the above applies to you too if the £45 is fo paypal, i hope you haven't paid them yet! :)

Rysee
04-01-10, 07:22 PM
I have had similar and have been receiving FINAL NOTICE letters off a Debt Agency in Warrington for 2 years after they refunded someone that never sent the goods back, i went without an internet connection for 2 months and had no idea of the happenings

Maybe one day I'll get bummed but I'm with Jon on this, ignore it until you get court summons(Like that'll happen)

Jon_nova1
04-01-10, 07:35 PM
oo, debt collection agency in warrington? thats where i am lol

no need to be with me, its alll done and dusted, it happened 4-5 years ago, and i even set up another paypal account which i now use with a different card lol

plus after a year of acquiring the debt they have to stop chasing you, the only exception is government institutions, like council tax etc

Rysee
04-01-10, 07:36 PM
Haha I wont mention the company name then, i swear last time it was one in Salford

Jack
04-01-10, 07:41 PM
A. paypal is not a bank
Yes it is, in Europe anyway.

[edit] And as such, being a bank in the EU which operates in the UK, that means they're covered by the FSA. So you DO have a legal standing and representation against them should you wish to complain, which you should!

Jon_nova1
04-01-10, 07:54 PM
Yes you are right! just googled it, that would be why they moved to luxemburg!

its ok, because they still can't do anything, refer to the point where its thier responsibility to not let you get into negative equity, which can be backed up by my story with the halifax, where i had a debit card, it too was thier responsibility to not let me go into negative figures (accounts with overdrafts fall under seperate entities)

anyway, long story short, i had bank charges which left the account in negative funds, and i never bothered paying them and they couldn't do anything about it because it was thier problem, the most ironic thing is i have a halifax shares account and hold a shed load of lloyds shares which owns halifax lol

bmw156
04-01-10, 08:25 PM
i just think in general ebay and paypal has past its time. in many ways.

its no longer cheap to sell things
no longer cheap to buy things
thats ebay dead then lol

but it is massivly convenient like halfords!

Jack
04-01-10, 08:29 PM
Find me somewhere easier and cheaper, with just as many users, to buy and sell things in an auction format. WITH the (albeit crap) protection that ebay offers.

Find me a bank transfer service that doesn't require anything more than an email address.

bmw156
04-01-10, 08:30 PM
i just think in general ebay and paypal has past its time. in many ways.

thats ebay dead then lol

but it is massivly convenient like halfords!

lol RJ.

Rysee
04-01-10, 08:34 PM
Not offering paypal will result in very few bids unless it's something people plan to collect

Jon_nova1
04-01-10, 08:39 PM
Find me somewhere easier and cheaper, with just as many users, to buy and sell things in an auction format. WITH the (albeit crap) protection that ebay offers.

Find me a bank transfer service that doesn't require anything more than an email address.

pppay.com and ebid...well, if everyone plods over onto there lol

L14MNP
20-01-10, 05:58 PM
Update.

The debt company just rang me there and apologised for contacting me as it was a misunderstanding in the first place. WTF. EIther Paypal told them I owed £60 or they never?

I can only assume after having spoken to both the debt co. and PP that PP have sided with me, albeit after the dispute so both myself and the guy that bought my wheels have 'won'?

Whatever. I asked for it in writing. :)

L14MNP
20-01-10, 06:12 PM
Never realised all of those additional posts lol. Cheers for the info/advice. Some good reading there!

It fcuking stinks what PP done to RJ's charity auction.

dontliftdrift
20-01-10, 10:38 PM
this is 1 more reason for me not to use paypal feckin idiots!!