PDA

View Full Version : GTE engine problems

SteveW
28-03-03, 11:27 AM
Engine has power loss when warm, below 3000 revs. Engine lags, sometimes misfires and chops around until it gets to 3000, then it goes as normal. Slightly choppy on idle.

Just done the head gasket, not cured the problem. Valve lifters were a little tight to come out, but went back in fine.

I have the E16SE Jetronic, so no diagnostic plg, I think.

Any suggestions?

mikeoxford
28-03-03, 11:34 AM
cleaned the AFM and inlet tract at all?

NovaNeil
28-03-03, 12:28 PM
It could be getting a weak spark, check your ignition leads and contact points in the dizzy cap. Mine used to misfire when it got warm cause the leads were old and worn out. Changed to some splitfire ones and it was fine.

SteveW
28-03-03, 12:50 PM
I take it that you mean cleaning out the fuel injection tract? THe air inlet seems fine, valve not sticking or anything like that. I had considered the injectors but it seems odd that it goes at medium/high revs.

New leads, plugs and dizzy cap on it.

I'll keep on searching!

mikeoxford
30-03-03, 07:57 PM
could be something to do with the air flow meter i guess?

if somethings up it may not be getting the correct air fuel mixture at some point of the rev range, for instance if the AFM dosent sence the correct amount of air going through or similar

frog_southampton
01-04-03, 12:07 AM
my GTE is same at the mo!...bloody nova's!

novax
02-04-03, 12:10 PM
The most important sensor on the car is the temperature sensor in the head (with the blue plug). If this is faulty then all manner of weird stuff will happen to your engine. Only RPM and load (air-flow) are more important.

I've been researching Bosch Jetronic and Motronic systems and what I've done so far is on my web-site on the link below.

PeteG
03-04-03, 01:59 AM
You checked all the ignition parts? the dizzy ok? how about the vacum advance hose? does sound like a weak spark,checked the coil pack?
you replaced the cap,plugs and leads,what about the rotor arm??

SteveW
29-04-03, 09:08 PM
Finally sorted it out.

THe simplest of things, the idle adjustment screw was full of gunk. took it out of the throttle body, cleaned it up and blew through the housing. When I put it back to its earlier mark, went fine all through the rev range.

Just a little thing to try if anyone else has the same problem at any time!

My engine is an E16SE, Jetronic injection, so I don't know if this applies only to this model as some others have automatic adjustment.

Basically, any problem in the airflow system is not good! Just wish that I had found this fault before I had replaced virtually everything else! :D :D

frog_southampton
30-04-03, 09:18 AM
where can i find the adjustment screw?

Dicko
30-04-03, 10:07 AM
there is a thin breather pipe that comes off the top of your rocker cover, this goes to the inlet near the end of the throttle cable, the screw is just next to this pipe.

frog_southampton
30-04-03, 11:57 AM
any pics?

SteveW
30-04-03, 06:28 PM
This may help. If it sends.

[/img]

SteveW
30-04-03, 06:32 PM
Obviously didn't work, will mail it to you instead.

Hopefully your engine is the same, Bosch Jetronic version. Otherwise the only other thing I can suggest is checking all of the air hoses for any cracks or leaks, as this will cause the same problem.

Good luck.

frog_southampton
30-04-03, 06:50 PM
cheerz...will go and have a look now!

ta

frog_southampton
30-04-03, 06:52 PM
so u just unscrewed it and cleaned it all around yea/

dathers
03-05-03, 12:17 AM
Check to corrugated rubber pipe that goes from the airflowmeter to the throttle body as this goes hard and can crack in the corrugations,take it off and check it carefully if you find any cracks/holes either put a bit of instant gasket on it or i can tell you a place that does silicone ones for ?27.99,any colour,shiny or matt,same as samco,but not.
Mine had a crack in it and it ran like a bag of sh1te,as its letting in unmetered air.
Another tip is pull the small vac pipe off the egr valve and block the end of the pipe,this stops the egr valve from opening,which is good!
check your timing aswell.
Dave

frog_southampton
03-05-03, 02:28 PM
i have done this and still weird...

sat at traffic lights and will rev at bout 2 - 3 revs....

if i stamp on the pedal it stops

thesparky
05-05-03, 09:54 PM
My GSi is doing the same ave checked air pipe and temp sw fitted new leads ,plugs dizzy,rotor arm but still no luck .any ideas?

dathers
05-05-03, 10:24 PM
that sounds more like a sticking throttle cable or the throttle butterfly linkage.
Mine was sticky when i first got it,i striped the whole throttlebody down and cleaned it all out,it was absolutely caked in shite from all the oil fumes that come from the cam cover breather.
I cleaned it all out and greased the cam that the throttle cable pulls,i also put a stronger spring on it so its harder to press the pedal and also shuts quicker,i prefer a harder pedal.
I also run the cam cover breather in to a vented container and blocked the connection to the TB off to catch all the oily shite instead of pumping it into the TB.
Dave

SteveW
06-05-03, 08:05 AM
The original thread seems to have been lost a bit!

Frog, I think dathers is right with what seems to be your problem, this is different from mine which had no power at low revs. Certainly sounds as if yours has a sticking flap, cable or spring.

Dunno what problem sparky has, maybe start a new thread so everyone knows what is going on? Mine is sorted now so I'm happy, but will help anyone if I can.

thesparky
06-05-03, 09:53 AM
i have checked the throttle and linkages /springs but they are ok .it only starts playing up when its warmed up from cold its ok

dathers
06-05-03, 01:15 PM
sparky,Maybe the coasting air valve is playing up or isnt set right,but you need a vacuum gauge to set it right.
Have you got a copy of TIS(tech info sytem)there is loads of stuff on the setup and testing of various stuff on thr E16SE gte engine.
Dave

thesparky
06-05-03, 02:08 PM
where can i get a copy of TIS from i can get use of a vac pump at work so maybe i can chack it

mikeoxford
06-05-03, 09:51 PM
where can i get a copy of TIS from i can get use of a vac pump at work so maybe i can chack it

i can do you one

its part of the EPC cd series