PDA

View Full Version : will a gsi or a gte head+mani etc fit a 1.4 sr

1.4SR_RED_ROCKET
28-03-03, 01:41 AM
does any one out there no if a gsi head or a gte head etc fit a 1.4SR and if i does will i get much more BHP than having a normal 1.4SR car??? and how costley and is it a major job if it can be done???

:roll:

rgv_stu
28-03-03, 09:13 AM
gsi / gte dont have a carb

Dicko
28-03-03, 10:27 AM
im sure it would seriously drop the compression ratio aswell!!!

mikeoxford
28-03-03, 11:02 AM
im sure it would seriously drop the compression ratio aswell!!!

too greatly as well

detonation issues will exist i would have thought

Benjoyce
28-03-03, 11:12 AM
i've got a gte head, vlaves and cam on my 1.4sr, hasn't made much difference at all, hopefully just strengthed it a bit.

mikeoxford
28-03-03, 11:25 AM
i've got a gte head, vlaves and cam on my 1.4sr, hasn't made much difference at all, hopefully just strengthed it a bit.

really?

cool

Benjoyce
28-03-03, 11:31 AM
yer i blew 5 of my valves and dads a top class mechanic so he said a gte head and that will fit, and hey presto straight on!!

mikeoxford
28-03-03, 11:35 AM
yer i blew 5 of my valves

:o how?

Benjoyce
28-03-03, 11:37 AM
hit 6000revs in second, went to go to 3rd and put it in 1st!! whoops!!

rgv_stu
28-03-03, 11:41 AM
you only get detonation issues when increasing cr not reducing mike ;)

ive seen a couple of rally cars with gte head on but i dont know what else they have done to get cr etc right

mikeoxford
28-03-03, 11:45 AM
hit 6000revs in second, went to go to 3rd and put it in 1st!! whoops!!

my mates JUST done exactly the same

so we dropped it straight out and whacked a cav SRi 2ltr 8v in :twisted:

great excuse we thought!

mikeoxford
28-03-03, 11:45 AM
you only get detonation issues when increasing cr not reducing mike ;)

ive seen a couple of rally cars with gte head on but i dont know what else they have done to get cr etc right

:oops: apologies

i read it but i guess it didnt go in properley.

Benjoyce
28-03-03, 11:51 AM
how hard are engine transplants? my dad changed the whole head, includein tacking the old one off and new head gasketin just over 2 hours, so take that in mind, how long would it take him to change an engine?

i can get a 2.0 8v sri engine no probs.

cornish
28-03-03, 12:04 PM
I'd go with the SRi head if i were you, it raises the compression a tad, plus it flows much better.

CP
28-03-03, 08:31 PM
I wouldnt bother with the 2.0 8v if I were you -its OK but you can do much better. You get a lot of extra weight for not much power really.

You can either tune your 1.4 - quite lively if you get an SRi head on and upgrade your carb etc

or

transplant in a 1.6 and spend some money on tuning the head - maybe going for 40's etc.

Both these have light engines well matched to the cars handling

or

If you want big horsepower and dont mind too much if the handling is not quite as good, put a 2.0l 16V in. This requires some fairly major mods but it is a common enough transplant so you'll be able to get plenty of help and advice

Aragorn
28-03-03, 09:53 PM
note to benjoyce:

the engine should actually be a good bit quicker now but since uve just bolted the head on uve lowered the compression to around 8.8:1

this is really too low for a NA car, infact im sure a lot of turbo engines including the LET are around this level

what u really need to do is get the head skimmed (by about 15 thou if my calcs are correct) to bring the compressoin back up to 9.5-10:1

CP:

any news on that head yet??

brian
29-03-03, 02:20 PM
I had a 1600gte head and injection on a 1400 and it ran perfect. head was skimmed once that i knew of.

1.4SR_RED_ROCKET
29-03-03, 06:57 PM
how much differance did you get out of it top end???

how much hastre is it too all fit on??? and what do i need to buy too do it all???

brian
29-03-03, 07:18 PM
to be honest it was grand power wise but not really worth breaking a 1.6 engine to do unless you have it to spare.
you need to fit the 1600 pump and join in the engine wiring to the loom in your engine bay. If its a 1L car then you will need to change the tank too.
I was using a GTE and basically changed the block.
Put in a 1600 GTE or GSi unless you really can't insure it.
1.6 is stamped on the head so you would be as well to put the 1.6 bottom end in too!! :|

Aragorn
29-03-03, 07:22 PM
brian - im not saying it WONT run

just the GTE head and injection will flow soo much better than the original you should get a nice improvement over standard

however the drop to 8.8:1 compression will lower the power a good bit - from the nice improvement

so your prolly gonna be getting standard power levels instead of SRI+ levels

1.4SR_RED_ROCKET:

you need: 1600 or SRi head, GTE inlet manifold, GTE loom and ECU

and thats it

the SRi head will make it faster than an SRi since the SR has no cat to slow things down

the GTE head will give about standard power from what ive heard in this post unless u skim it down

brian
29-03-03, 07:35 PM
however the drop to 8.8:1 compression will lower the power a good bit - from the nice improvement

so your prolly gonna be getting standard power levels instead of SRI+ levels
i agree with that, thats why i was saying its not really worth doing

Aragorn
29-03-03, 07:49 PM
well that all depends

i CBA with carb icing in cold waether and its permenantly cold up here

some will say the induction roar off a injection engine is nicer too

its all personal prefrence

the head will need skimmed anyway before u fit it so u may as well get the machine shop to take the 15 thou off to get the comression right back up wont cost that much more if any

mark_GSi
30-03-03, 01:04 PM
it took me bout hour 2 put me 1.6i in, then couple of hours for everything else.

if u tune the GTE/GSI up they can be very quick, mine outdid me m8's cav SRI, he did have 4 in the car though :wink:

i think either 1.6 and strip it totally, make it as light as poss and it will be V quick!!!

me m8 did that in his 1.4 mk2 fiesta sport, it out did a 2.ltr calibra off the lights, but it has only got 2 steats and a dash :D :wink:

want 2 take mine up the pod soon, but want 2 strip it, take passenger seat out, speakers, put a old set of 15's on 2 , running 17's at mo

be fun 2 see wot it can do :)

for SERIOUS POWER just put a valver in!!!! :D :o :wink: