PDA

View Full Version : Megasquirt v4 and trigger wheel

db_1.2
31-12-09, 12:30 PM
A mate of mine just bought megasquirt v4 from m-tech, only to realise that he needs a trigger wheel (36-1). Is there anyway of avoiding this? The car is a 205 gti (xuj) however is forged and running a t25. The engine did run on the original ignition system before being rebuilt, but obviously is not ideal. Its a budget and he would like to get it running as soon as possible, i thought id ask here although not being a pergo forum, the forum does generate some usefull imformation:thumb:

Jon_nova1
31-12-09, 03:00 PM
he'll need it, i don't think theres any way to bodge the trigger wheel, and probably best not to as its one of the most important components, if i remember correctly it does the same job as the crank sensor?

db_1.2
31-12-09, 04:19 PM
Yeh it does, but i think the xuj uses a camshaft sensor from the dizzy. Im pretty sure hes gonna need a trigger wheel setup, and i told him that, other than that the other sensors seem fine.

Shoulda just carbed it.....

Jon_nova1
31-12-09, 05:58 PM
you won't be saying that when he has it running ;) ....even though it is french lol

Mike
31-12-09, 06:03 PM
Go on eBay & type in "36-1 trigger wheel"

blue_peg_16v
31-12-09, 07:02 PM
definatly needs the trigger wheel

Adam
31-12-09, 07:08 PM
MS can use a lot of different triggers, pretty sure it should work with the gm 60-2

db_1.2
01-01-10, 12:35 PM
I tried explaining this to him, he wont have it! Hes sure it will work from the original hall type signal, although the online manual explains this is not compatible.

Further to the point, i also explained to him that the v4 allows for mapable ignition as well as fuel injection, but this is all a puzzle to him! I did explain if he was to spend a further £100 on the trigger wheel, sensor, and a ford type dispack, he would be able to use the system to its full capability, still, hes going to try to run it from the dizzy hall sensor, and then, when and if its running, hes going to map it himself......

From what i read and seen from the MS V4 its a very user friendly, compatable and well thought out, espiecially for the price. Would probably be even better in the right hands!

db_1.2
01-01-10, 12:41 PM
However, its not my build, and what advice i have given to him, he ignors!

mattatmtech
05-01-10, 07:15 PM
Hi all,

The V4 is our own (M-tech) not a megasquirt lol! (although we did start with MSs a few years ago!)

In terms of the system, we designed it to only use VR systems, and if the engine has a 60-2 trigger and crank sensor already there (which it should) that he wont need to install a trigger wheel....

I reccomend he pop it over to us before he melts something as without readinf the manual first (which if hes tried wiring up the Hall sensor to the ECU he obiovusly hasnt!) he will either damage the ECU or his engine..... not good!

Matt

burgo
05-01-10, 08:05 PM
you might be able to modify the camshaft sensor to run it. i did with a mates celica

db_1.2
05-01-10, 09:28 PM
you might be able to modify the camshaft sensor to run it. i did with a mates celica

That was my initial thought, but thanks to the help recieved from Matt at M-tech, we are able to use the original 60-2 trigger wheel on the engine (DOH! on our/my mates part!)

Havnt had a chance to see how hes getting on yet, shall see tomorrow evening

db_1.2
05-01-10, 09:31 PM
Hi all,

The V4 is our own (M-tech) not a megasquirt lol! (although we did start with MSs a few years ago!)

In terms of the system, we designed it to only use VR systems, and if the engine has a 60-2 trigger and crank sensor already there (which it should) that he wont need to install a trigger wheel....

I reccomend he pop it over to us before he melts something as without readinf the manual first (which if hes tried wiring up the Hall sensor to the ECU he obiovusly hasnt!) he will either damage the ECU or his engine..... not good!

Matt

I always thought it was a MS! DOH!

Im gonna pop over tomorrow night see how hes doing with it all, and, believe it or not Matt, i managed to persuade him to purchase a Ford type dispac from you! But i didnt tell him leads wernt included (hehe) it might of put him off!!!

Have you enquired about the traders section yet? I was going to on your behalf, but ive only just got on the computer, as the gf seems to think facebook is much more important!lol

Mike
05-01-10, 10:26 PM
Luke, how you got on with that crazy Celica anyway??

Stuart
06-01-10, 05:38 PM
so its an MS with hopefully proper automotive grade bits, proper values and built right and a few 'upgrades' :) lol

draper
06-01-10, 05:39 PM
not impressed by megasquirt then stuart ?

Stuart
06-01-10, 06:01 PM
not impressed by megasquirt then stuart ?

Its a cracking concept, but was/is in dire need of some real electronics engineering applying to it.

Adam
06-01-10, 06:41 PM
so its an MS with hopefully proper automotive grade bits, proper values and built right and a few 'upgrades' :) lol
In a word Yes

mattatmtech
07-01-10, 03:57 PM
Yep thats what our V4 is. Its an out of the box comprehensive management system, built to ISO9001 standards, with more features than the competitors ECUs for less money :)

We added USB programming as well as serial to help those out who have more modern laptops as well, just to make things easier!

If anyone is interested they are £995+VAT supplied, fitted and mapped on our Dyno Dynamics rolling road in wiltshire.

(I am soirting out trade status as well chaps!)

Cheers,
Matt

RickW
07-01-10, 04:58 PM
i used one on my xe set up. I had a trigger wheel bolted to my bottom pulley and worked fine. Had to make a bracket to mount the crank sensor

mayhem
07-01-10, 05:04 PM
why doesnt dutch mtech have this? he's just an overpriced **** :S

Stuart
07-01-10, 05:16 PM
built to ISO9001 standards

is that something to use in sales pitch? lol

Not slating your product, just the ISO shizzle.... You could build a 3 legged table aslong as it conformed to ISO9xxx it would be fine, but as a product fall over.

How much for a naked ecu? and does it use the standard available MS interface software? oh and does it also use a non obsolete micro?

mattatmtech
07-01-10, 05:29 PM
lol No its the factory that makes them, means that the quality is repeatable and of a high standard :)

An ECU with loom is £495+VAT, and the mico is surface mount, and RoHS compliant so yes you can get them, not that you would need to as our system is designed to be a sealed unit.

In terms of software you can use Megatune etc but we provide a much better system (under license) to use for mapping.

Cheers,
Matt

phazer
07-01-10, 07:45 PM
lol I think what Stu is getting at is that with ISO9001 you state what you set out to achieve, document the process and have a checking procedure in place. Therefore if you state you are going to make a 3 legged table, can prove the build process and test that you actually have a 3 legged table and are able to demonstrate you could make another one then you are ISO 9001 compliant.

Not knocking the product btw sounds mucho interesting.

mattatmtech
07-01-10, 08:50 PM
lol yes see what you mean :) We set to deliver a great EMS with a great price, and we did it lol :D

phazer
07-01-10, 09:23 PM
lol yes see what you mean :) We set to deliver a great EMS with a great price, and we did it lol :D

:thumb: Where can we see more - web address? Is the software available to look at in advance (like DTA) ?

Edit: Found the URL in your profile (small typo tho chap http://www.mtechwutomotive.co.uk )

db_1.2
07-01-10, 09:41 PM
:thumb: Where can we see more - web address? Is the software available to look at in advance (like DTA) ?

Edit: Found the URL in your profile (small typo tho chap http://www.mtechwutomotive.co.uk )

Links wrong lol, i did mention it, dont think hes got round to changing it!

http://www.mtechautomotive.co.uk (http://www.mtechwutomotive.co.uk/)

Try that:thumb:

phazer
07-01-10, 09:58 PM
Yeah I worked that out lol

db_1.2
07-01-10, 10:03 PM
Yeah I worked that out lol

Ahhhh well you never know!!

mattatmtech
07-01-10, 10:18 PM
Fixed it :)

Theres a deal we're doing (I don't want to really advertise until trad status is sorted etc. but...)

Jenvey Tbs and V4 ECU Supplied Fitted and mapped on your typical XE/4 pot etc £1,880+VAT. Thats a drive in drive out service :)

V4 ECU supplied fitted and mapped £995+VAT

Jenvey TBs and V4 ECU Supply only, £1,350+VAT

V4 ECU Supply Only £495+VAT

If someone can do a group buy and get 5x orders I will offer the V4s for £450+VAT with free mapping for the organisor.

Cheers chaps!
Matt

mattatmtech
07-01-10, 10:26 PM
I cant post a link, but have a look under 'guides' you can download the manual or click on 'Tuning Software' to see a pic of mapping in action.

I will be posting the software soon :)

Matt

Stuart
10-01-10, 07:34 PM
Are you going to make it cope with ETB soon?

mattatmtech
11-01-10, 03:41 PM
Etb?

mattatmtech
11-01-10, 03:41 PM
Oh sorry drive by wire? No unfortuinabelt this is not something we are likely to ever look at due to product liabilities and so forth.

Cheers,
Matt

Stuart
11-01-10, 09:45 PM
wuss :p plus in the coming years will HEAVILY limit your sales routes given just about all cars some fitted with ETB's these days... ok conversion to cable is possible but you can lose out on a lot of cool little extras that the ETB permits

mattatmtech
12-01-10, 11:24 AM
lol indeed :)

I see you're an ECU firmware developer....

We are working a way around it that utilises the factory controller, but its a long way off. Most of our work usually involves more than just what a remap would offer, hence, we usually find our selves fitting TBs etc which would negate the ETB anyway. :)

Matt

Stuart
12-01-10, 11:59 AM
ex ecu firmware dev.. bailed out when the fat cheques were about ;)

its not that hard/costly to make a stand alone ETB driver, but its best to integrate it into the ecu so you have good idle control, a slow but epic TC actuator if the fuel and spark cuts arent doing it, easy cruise (I know its not really part of 'tuning' but if its something extra to give a customer its a win) blah blah blah lol

Dinoman
14-01-10, 05:29 PM
Yep thats what our V4 is. Its an out of the box comprehensive management system, built to ISO9001 standards, with more features than the competitors ECUs for less money :)

We added USB programming as well as serial to help those out who have more modern laptops as well, just to make things easier!

If anyone is interested they are £995+VAT supplied, fitted and mapped on our Dyno Dynamics rolling road in wiltshire.

(I am soirting out trade status as well chaps!)

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt, you should be able to pay me the £700 + interest you owe me now as it is getting on for 2 years, Regards Eddie Walsh

mattatmtech
14-01-10, 10:06 PM
Eddie

Can you email me? I know you had dealings with an ex employee on a V3s you supplied us?

Cheers,
Matt

Dinoman
14-01-10, 10:14 PM
Eddie

Can you email me? I know you had dealings with an ex employee on a V3s you supplied us?

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt, I have emailed you must be 6 times in the last year and you never even replied, you got my address and email so just Pay me the money you owe me OK, Regards Eddie Walsh

Dinoman
23-01-10, 04:28 PM
Hi Matt, I have emailed you must be 6 times in the last year and you never even replied, you got my address and email so just Pay me the money you owe me OK, Regards Eddie Walsh

Hi Matt, all gone quite again ???, so just in case here is my email sales@ferrarispares.co.uk and my tel is 01206 251475 lets sort this out as there are enough conmen on these forums lets make it one less, Regards Eddie Walsh

Stuart
23-01-10, 07:27 PM
no offense Dinoman, but please keep this off the forum... its got feck all to do with PNG, you know their address, do things the right/efficient way (small claims etc if need be).

Dinoman
23-01-10, 08:25 PM
no offense Dinoman, but please keep this off the forum... its got feck all to do with PNG, you know their address, do things the right/efficient way (small claims etc if need be).

Hi Stuart, Thanks, I am just trying to save some other Members from being conned by these conmen, they are the ones you should be keeping fom this site, Regards Eddie Walsh

nova 2L 16V
23-01-10, 09:29 PM
Agree with you, I bought a V3 from M-Tech about 2 years ago they promis you everything but I didnt think they knew what they where talking about. I am yet to hear of anything good of them. My ecu ended up in the bin because it was poorly made if anyone is interested in a V3 then you need to email Sloth and he will pass you on to someone who will make you one. I will never get anything from M-teck again and I would advise pople not to from my experiance

Dinoman
01-02-12, 09:49 PM

Hi Stuart, what it is is a Megasquirt Rip Off and built by a right CONMAN, Matt owes me £650 for some MS's I sold him as Megasquirt would not supply him any bits since they heard he was ripping people off, Regards Eddie Walsh

tom reid
05-02-12, 05:41 AM
Dinoman, nova 2L 16v, any more info would be usefull as I was nearly tempted to enquire about this stuff.

womble sri
05-02-12, 08:45 AM
Yes supplied fitted an mapped for £995 plus vat sounds to good to be true.... And you know what they say!

Dinoman
05-02-12, 11:54 AM
Dinoman, nova 2L 16v, any more info would be usefull as I was nearly tempted to enquire about this stuff.

Hi Tom, yes I was dealing with Chuzzy and Mat at Mtech when I started doing Megasquirts and I was shipping in 20 Kits at a time from thr USA and Chuzzy started ringing me up saying they were waiting for supplies from USA and would I let them have some MS 1 V2.2 (which they were selling as V2.5 ???) so me being a resonable chap agreed so send them on the understanding that they would replace ?? which of course they never have Total Value £650, so now I just advise people not to deal with them as they are just conmen out for what they can get by ripping people off, Regards DM

Dayle_
05-02-12, 01:47 PM
Just get something proper like a DTA etc where someone can map it. Mega squirts OK if you want to learn, build one yourself but finding a proper rolling road that will map one is neigh impossible as most respected RR's won't touch one just incase that dry solder joint breaks high boost and bang goes your engine.. I have had this problem in the past when we got one and still have one in a rally car.

ocdstigy
06-02-12, 12:14 AM
Unfortunately i have had bad dealings with mtech also,best staying clear!